“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #133 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Queensland, Canada
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

My friend and I stayed here in October 2007 - we're Aussies. We stayed on Excelsior floor 14 which was renovated, non-smoking, clean and air-conditioning working. The breakfast was satisfactory. We arrived at 11pm and the staff were helpful which was a surprise after the reviews I had read. We asked housekeeping for a power converter for an electrical appliance we'd brought with us and it was delivered within 10 minutes. We really only slept in the hotel and didn't have time to use the pool or any other facilities but that wasn't the purpose of our stay. The rooms were poorly lit (no reading in bed possible) though clean and comfortable. The only complaint was that the swipe card keys to access the lift and room took 20 swipes to open the room - the magnetic strip was worn out - other people I met in the lift also had the same problem.

Overall, it is a reasonably priced hotel with great location but for such a cheap price it is good value - don't expect the Westin or Raffles,

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — faulty room swipe keys
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
srilanka
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2008

The hotel staff service is really bad. Rooms are too small. Their service is really bad. If we ask or order something they takes 1-2 hrs to send it.
Before we went to Singapore, we arranged our tour package with a Travel Agent Colombo, and we got a holiday package for Three people. We Ordered a TRIPLE room & paid also for THREE.
After we went to the "Peninsula hotel" (4th November 2007) they had given, every thing only for two.(We got two single beds, Two cups for tea/Coffee, two toothbrushes & two water glasses).Then I went down to the reception & told to send an Extra bed. They said O.K.
At around 9.00p.m. I ordered a Club Sandwich from room service too.
After 5-6 reminders we got a bed to my mother around 10.30 p.m. After that I took another call and ask whether we can get the sandwich to my mother because she was very tired. Then that girl apologies for their delay, & ask another 15 minutes to send that.
On the 7th we checked out from the hotel at 4.30 a.m. unfortunately I kept my SONY Video Camera with Cassettes & Batteries (worth LKR55,000/= ; all those in one bag) in the room, behind the TV & forgot to take that. It was a blue colour small bag. After I came to Sri Lanka I called to the hotel & told, “Morning around 3 o’clock ; I locked my bags and put all the keys inside the “Video Camera Bag” and kept it on the table, but I forgot to bring it down…, Please check whether it’s there?” They said “NO , Nothing”. But I know I kept that in the room may be some one stolen it. WHAT A POOR SERVICE THAT HOTEL GAVE US????
I never go to this hotel again!

• Liked — I did not like Peninsula Hotel,Singapore
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I stayed at this hotel twice in one week while I went into Malaysia in the time between. The location is terrific for exploring the central area. It is a short walk to the City Hall subway station which can connect you to all other parts of the island/nation. The Parliament building is only a block away. The riverfront with a wide variety food and drinks is only a few blocks away on Bridge street. The first room seemed dark and not lit very well, not a good room to work out of. The second room was 1814, which I was told was the honeymoon suite. It had plenty of terrific views of the city and was much more comfortable. It was better suited for work and/or play. In general, Singapore is very expensive and this hotel seemed reasonable for the location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — high prices of breakfast
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

I stayed in deluxe room at 12th floor in Excelsior tower for 2 days. The room was cosy and clean due to this room was renovated room.

Location was great. Most convenient location. Shopping centre is located acoss the street and thre are so many restaurants around the hotel.
Also very close to City Hall MRT station (around 2 mins walk) and close to Bugis Street as well.

Concierge was courteous and friendly.

If you are staying in this hotel, ask for renovated room.
You'll not regret your stay when you stay in renovated room.

I'll recommend this hotel to someone who is staying for short time due to room size is small .

• Liked — Great Location
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

I have just spent 12 nights in what is without a shadow of a doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. From Central America through Europe into Central Asia I have never stayed in such an awful place. The rooms are terrible with the most awful lighting. However this pales into insignificance when compared to the service. It took 5 days alone for them to fix the television and it was a lottery as to whether I had clean towels placed in the room. Also the air conditioning worked shifts and never came on when you were in the room. Last but not least I must mention the food. If there is 1 piece of advice I can give you it is this. If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to stay in this hotel then do not under any circumstances eat the food. I can assure you it will spoil your stay on the Island. I leave you with this one piece of advice. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The fact that there was only 1 working lift serving 20 odd floors
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

This was supposed to be a stop-over.... and this was the only hotel we had trusted our travel agent to book on his own without ocnsulting us...... throughout our trips we had stayed in a five star accommodation only..... and our agent assured us that a four star in singapore is like a five star anywhere else in the world.....

the only good thing about this hotel is its location..... its in the heart of the city, so most of the city attrcations are a walkable distance.....

thats where the good things of the hotel stops.....

carpets are dirty...... rooms so small dat after u put your luggage , there is no place to move....the smoking floors truely smell....... u have to hold your breath to go to the lift.......the pool is so small and it faces the lobby which is a very awkward location too....

i will not recommend this hotel to anyone at all.......

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everthing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Everything been said about this hotel is true. I wish i stayed
in other hotel.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Peninsula Excelsior Hotel? Share your experiences!