“Good hotel for over night stay.....” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel 81 - Sakura
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   181 Joo Chiat Rd, Singapore 427452, Singapore   |
Ranked #173 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Good hotel for over night stay.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We missed our flight going back home and we stayed there for a night. Nothing much to say about the hotel but it helped us a lot. When we missed our flight, we were looking for a cheap hotel for a night and the airport counter gave us this hotel. Surprisingly one of my wife's cousin's apartment was just a walking distance from this hotel that actually helped us a lot.

Anyway, the hotel is fine, clean and.....I should say okay for one nigh. Its very hard to find a hotel with this rate that offers this quality in Singapore. You can find many yummy restaurants around Joo Chiat road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Ipoh, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

A very nice feeling hotel with the concept of Japanese style.
I booked a twin room for me n my colleague, it is not a spacious room but the room condition is just nice for us. Surrounding of this hotel is full of pub and restaurant, therefore it wont be a problem for us to having our dinner after our work and for sure the entertainment in the pub as well..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Phang Nga, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my second stay in Singapore in as many months and this budget hotel was several grades higher than my previous budget accomodation.
The foyer is fairly non- desript and the room was smallish but certainly adequate for my overnight stay. I found the room clean, with a pleasant ambience and all the facilities in place. Make your own tea/ coffee or wander down to the many restaurants nearby. Yes, it's in the red light area of Singapore but Singapore is a very safe place and just adds a bit of colour to the adventure.
The staff are warm, friendly and helpful. I would have no hesitation in staying there next time in Singapore.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I gave it a three only because of the price. The room was reasonable but I had to go down to the front desk to get towels. And there isn't even a curtain for the shower, just a hand held spray. It is pretty clear this is the red light district of Singapore. On the positive side that means lots of bars and restaurants nearby. I booked this hotel because it close to the airport. So, fine for a short overnight stay but I would not recommend it for anything longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked thru last minute.com for $69 a night. Very small but clean, quiet and dark in room perfect for getting some sleep after travel. Easy walk to public transport.
Manager Jimmy very helpfully in planning a inexpensive day trip.
Will stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was one of the hotels I stayed in as part of my survey of budget hotels. I liked it better than the Hotel 81 Opera, which is diagonally across Joo Chiat Road, because the oddly shaped room did not feel claustraphobic even though it didn't have a window; it seemed more spacious.

There is another Hotel 81 called Changi that isn't on Trip Advisor. It is a nice enough budget hotel and it rents rooms by the hour. ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Timaru
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is my Singapore's home-away-from-home. It may not have everything but it's good enough for me. It's located in the area where Vietnamese food is to be found easily. Karaoke lounges are everywhere and this is where men would come and meet their ladies of the night. Thus, Hotel 81 is at the right location to cater for such needs but it is also catering to the need of a traveller like myself who's looking for value-for-money accommodation option that's slightly better than backpackers. Backpackers in Singapore is different from the ones in Europe where they easily cram in 50 beds in one big hall. The room is big enough for a double bed and it so happened that the bed here is comfortable. The shower pressure is great! Wi-fi could be purchased at Sg$10 a day. There's a table but no chair but that doesn't matter that much to me. I don't use TV anyway. For Sg$75 a night, there's nothing to complain about. Hotel 81 never promises the world and it is what it is and that's good enough to me. Singapore is a tiny place. Public transport is never an issue as taxis are everywhere. The place is so well-policed and so brightly lit that solo female jogger could be found exercising at 1am! Don't have sweet condiments laying around because there are ants everywhere! That's not the fault of the hotel but that we are in a tropical country and thus, this is a norm. BUT one word of caution, this is ideal for the budget conscious and not suitable for those guests that are looking for 4 stars treatment!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel 81 - Sakura? Share your experiences!