“Good value cosy hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Champion Hotel

You added Champion Hotel to your Saves list
Champion Hotel
60 Joo Chiat Road #01-06, Singapore 427726, Singapore (Formerly New Gateway Hotel)   |
Special Price
WEBSITE SPECIAL PROMOTION
Ranked #105 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
“Good value cosy hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It is quite a challenge to find good clean decent accommodation in Singapore for less than SGD100. Champion Hotel was a good value find given that December is deemed high season for travel to Singapore. The hotel is clean with modern contemporary furnishing. Staff is friendly and suggested local places for us to eat near the hotel.
Tip: if you suffer from claustrophobia, beware that some rooms are without windows! make sure you ask for a room with windows at time of booking.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Champion Hotel (formerly Gateway Hotel)

They say that our hotel was once the Gateway Hotel Singapore but it was renovated so the result is just like a brand new hotel now named Champion Hotel. It is located at the Joo Chiat Road area, close to the Joo Chiat Complex and within the vicinity of the Malay village. You can feel the old world charm of Singapore yet the hotel is a modern artsy rendition, very simple and fuss-free in the civic district of the city.

I booked it online and availed of the Trip Advisor's promo on their website. The transaction was fast and hassle-free. We got the Superior Twin room for 2 adults and 1 kid. It was spacious. Although it doesn't have windows, the cleanliness and big space make up for that. If you are claustrophobic or if you want a view, you may want to request or get a room with windows. Most of the time we were out so it didn't matter to us. It was also favourable that we have no windows because we were able to really sleep without the outside noise. The check in/out was very fast and easy. And the receptionist was very accommodating and helpful both checking in/out. There was this one time when we need a cab and it's raining hard and the receptionist offered to call one even without asking her. That was good customer service. They also clean our room every day.

Facilities inside the room include the twin bed, working aircon, phone, safe, bedside button for all the lights so you won't have to stand up to turn it on/off, LED TV, coffee and tea pot, mini-ref, hair dryer. They also provide 2 complimentary bottles of water which they replenished every day during our stay. They also provide coffee and tea and toiletries which they also replenished everyday during our stay. They have a 24-hour front desk reception and customer service. They were also fast when it comes to responding to your needs. I reported a defective tea pot and they promptly replied and replaced it. They have free WIFI which was really strong and consistent during our stay there.

The area is 20-30 minutes away from Changi airport, around 20 minutes away from the city. We have specific itinerary so we know where we want to go so the location is not a problem for us despite being a little far from the city. And Singapore is one of the world's most child friendly cities so despite having a kid in tow and despite being a little far from the city, it was never a problem. The nearest MRT is Paya Lebar of the East West Line (Green Line). To tell you honestly, it was not so near meaning it's around 10-15 minutes or more of real walk. But it was manageable and not a problem. There was a construction in front of the building while we were there. I think it was for another hotel but we didn't hear a single noise from that. Perhaps we are not facing that road. The lobby is so cute. The design very contemporary and youthful, clean and minimalist. All in all, it was a great stay and given the chance, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Next time we will try the room with windows. It was the first we had a room without windows but we w...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Makassar, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I decided to stay at this hotel during my transit in Singapore.

The hotel is located not too far from Changi Airport and compared to other hotels in the area with similar price like Hotel81 and Fragrance, this hotel is so much better.

The hotel is newly refurbished so the room feels very new. Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. The complimentary wifi is also fast.

The hotel doesn't have restaurant, but finding food is very easy in this area. Some foodcourt even open for 24 hours.

I definitely recommend this hotel for a long transit in Singapore.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel is nicely renovated with a stylish design inside. It can be easily reached from the airport by a direct bus 24 (just be aware that bus driver does not give change) getting off at Joo Chiat Complex (ca. 35mins). The nearest metro station is located within 15 mins walk. Upon arrival 3 hours earlier than available check in time we were very pleased when the receptionist Karu willingly arranged our room to be ready in 30 minutes. We recommend this hotel due to reasonable service/price ratio for Singapore.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wanted a hotel close to the airport for the 16 hours I was in Singapore prior to a morning flight. I was not prepared to pay too much and Champion Hotel fitted the bill.

The room was clean, comfortable, a good size and provided a good shower and toilet in a separate bathroom, and safe in the room.

Desk staff could not provide a map of the local area but were keen to tell me where to eat near to the hotel. I wandered a bit further and there were lots of good places to eat and drink within a kilometre walking towards the city centre.

The hotel was priced as a budget hotel but I thought it provided good facilities in a good location. I knew that I was going to have a room without a window so cannot say I was not warned. Obviously the room was pitch black at night and that made for a good night's sleep.

I would stay here again if only stopping in Singapore at the airport for less than a day. Any shorter than 12 hours then probably the transit hotel at the airport.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014

All I can say this hotel doesnt have a management or we say they have bad service no service at all, they didnt even help me to bring my luggage up and they change my room coz they say they are fully booked and yet found out in their website they have available rooms, totally mess i hate this hotel will never ever go back in this place again people are so unkind, seems like not a hotel at all...

Room Tip: please do not stay in this hotel,
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

At first glance, I didn't expect much thinking it's a small hotel. They have a nicely decorated lobby which most hotels do not really bother to have. I can tell they did put in an effort. Staff was pleasant and really quick to help out. Beautiful corridor that makes me feel I am in an apartment!

The room has a main control system for the room service/privacy, lights and aircon. Loving how they
used this sort of modern technology which is rare to find in cheap hotels! The room was very well decorated and clean, that I was BLOWN AWAY. The toilet is spacious enough, especially the shower area. Comfty bed but the aircon can get pretty cold. There's a super comfortable mini sofa to relax on, and a desk & cushioned chair for use. Plus, there's cable tv that has some interesting programs too (if i'm not wrong, there was Discovery channel & HBO). Complimentary water, safe box, room service all available!

For travelling around that area, it can get pretty difficult even if you are a local, unless you have a map app! However, there is plenty of food around the area within 5 mins walk for you to choose from. There is also a big supermarket right across the street to buy snacks & drinks or more! Only bit that was a sign of poor house keeping is that there was a tub of half eaten ice cream in my fridge but I didn't mind cause it wasn't dirty or anything. Another minus point would probably be that the small window view I had was of the generator on the roof right outside my window, but I don't spend my time staring at scenery anyway.

I'm not a fussy person but I am particular on certain things like the decoration & toilet. And this hotel passed my expectations with flying colours. All in all, it was really worth it as I paid about $95 SGD & I would happily pay up to $130+ SGD for this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a street view if you don't want to have to look at a generator when you open...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Champion Hotel? Share your experiences!