“Cheap and simple” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #247 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Cheap and simple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hotel is located 1.3Km away from Paya Lebar MRT. Rooms were clean and comfortable but very small. Windows are sealed from inside and fitted with lattice panel from outside blocking direct sunlight into the room. No locker or even a small cupboard. TV with few international channels are available. There are plenty of choices for food around hotel in every direction. Good choice to stay at night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

There is a weird smell in this hotel, its more so outside the rooms but it takes at least 15 minutes to get use to it.
Rooms very basic and the smell is a little inside the room, I think they have some sewerage OR mould issue, the furniture is comfortable enough, the best bit is the bathroom - It is designed in such a luxurious way that it makes you feel like your in an exotic hotel UNTIL you try to have a shower as there wasn’t any hot water just mildly warm.
Pros are that you get free internet, staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about the surrounding area. You get what you paid for I guess but hot water and clean air indoors are basic things to be expected for any hotel - Meh.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a really bad experience staying at this hotel. First of all the only reason why we booked this hotel was that there was three of us travelling together and they had a family room available. Also we had a lot of luggage with us (six big bags), so we needed a lot of space, which the family room had. When we arrived at the hotel in the morning they said that the previous family had not checked out of the room so we checked in and left our luggage to the staff, while we went to explore the city. When we came back in the evening our luggage was still in the same place lying on the floor, none of the staff seemed to pay any attention to it and all our valuables were in the bags!! Then we were told that the family room wasn't in fact available and we would have to settle for two rooms (despite us booking the hotel one month in advance.) We never got any explanation why this was and the staff member was extremely rude and started getting angry with us when we didn't accept the two small rooms. In the end he angrily upgraded us to two separate "deluxe rooms", even though there is no deluxe room option on their website so they were probably just standard rooms. When we then asked if they could help us with our luggage the staff ignored us. I have never received such bad customer service in my life! The rooms were small and smelled bad. The only positive thing is that when we asked they did give us free internet and late check-in. Still, do not stay at this hotel! There are better once just down the road!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Needed a "cheap" hotel in Singapore for three nights and did the usual search, with the usual one we stay in fully booked. Hotel 81 Opera came up and as my Filipina wife knew the area had Filipino shops and restaurants it was a fair choice. No real facilities but the room was clean and big enough for wife and daughter in a double bed.
Check in was quick and easy. Around midnight a crowd of Chinese girls were yammering away in the corridor outside the room and banging on someone else's door instead of using the bell or whatever, on each of the three nights of the stay.
The room was supposed to be no smoking, but you could smell cigarette smoke just about everywhere. There were cigarette burns on the toilet cistern as well.
Lots of restaurants, clubs and bars in Joo Chiat, but a lot of drunks and too much cigarette smoke around. The seafood crab restaurant was pricey by Sing standards, but the crab was excellent. Can't remember the name but you can't miss it half way down Joo Chiat on a corner plot. Most of the pubs/clubs had the usual "working girls" hovering outside, but they don't trouble you unless you want to be troubled...
Our first choice was Le Peranakan but it was fully booked, and this one was nowhere nearl as good.

Room Tip: the room we booked had no window (despite the voucher saying it had) so if this troubles you, better...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here at the start of a five week trip around South East Asia in January 2013. I really wish I hadn't read some of the positive/average reviews in making my choice as I really can't understand how anyone could write anything positive about the place. I had expected nothing special - a mid range, budget sort of place, but what I got was much worse. As soon as I walked in, the reception smelt of stale aftershave. The hotel and rooms are shoddy, and in terrible condition. My room was tiny (no wardrobe) and the bathroom was a disgrace. The 'shower' was just a shower head over the toilet. While this is tolerable in theory, there was barely enough room to actually stand underneath the shower in practice (it would probably be easier to use the toilet and shower at the same time rather than trying to do both), and I'm a slim 5ft6. The sink had a hair in it, as well as a crack, and the walls looked like they'd never seen paint. It was all so disgusting that I had to close my eyes and pretend I was on a desert island each time I used the facilities. There were no hooks or ledges for your things - in fact you have no choice but to put all your stuff on the dirty floors. My air conditioner wasn't working and I asked repeatedly for it to be fixed but it wasn't in the end so I boiled alive in that tiny room of mine. I called to reception to ask politely for a code for the wi-fi. What I did not expect was for the hotel manager to snap at me. I couldn't understand what he was saying so said 'pardon?' a couple of times and he ended up shouting at me and when I finally got what he was saying (which was that I needed to come downstairs to get the code), he said angrily: 'Yes!' and slammed the phone down. Er, why couldn't he have just given the code out over the phone anyway?!

The only saving grace is that some of the staff were quite sweet. When I met up with some friends who live in Singapore they laughed when I told them I was staying here as apparently it has a reputation for being a 'rooms bookable by the hour' chain (it's in the red light district after all). I wish I had just stayed with my friends, which I did on my way back through Singapore and had a much nicer experience!

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are as bad as each other
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Malang, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Checked in hotel around 1.30 pm, then hotel’s staff completed our identities. Hence the time less than 2 pm we should been awaiting for a tidy room until 2 pm. We got a family room four people sharing that is I have booked. We stayed here the night, the room located at corner level 1 with elevator, but to got our room we must go through upstairs where the two rooms there are. I was a bit peevish with this situation because we carry a big luggage, so it makes us an inconvenience.
The room is so big, clean and the bathroom available bathtub and a shower. Around hotel some eateries providing many kind of foods till midnight. To take public transportation halt not so far from the hotel on walking. For travelers who will spend time along day for outdoor activities the 81 opera is fairly option.

Room Tip: Family room is so big located at the corner upstairs level 1, but to get to the room no elevator at...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel 81 - Opera? Share your experiences!