Honestly, I was a little unsure of what to expect from the New Majestic before arriving, but I needn't have been concerned!
- The location. Right on the edge of Chinatown, just off a main shopping road and barely a minute's walk from the nearest MRT station. The area around the hotel also retains most of it's colonial architecture rather than the brand new high-rise that Singapore is renowned for
- The staff. Very friendly, can't do enough for you. A few communication issues here and there, but nothing that caused any problems.
- The room. We were in an attic suite, which was excellent for us, though definitely not recommended for older people or those who struggle with mobility, as the bed is on a mezzanine up what is essentially a ladder. It was very well furnished, minibar and bedding/towels were changed daily and it was always very clean. The TV had a range of channels from various countries aswell as an information channel for tourists. The shower was excellent, though the bath not so much (more on that later). Finally, the air conditioning was fantastic and there is a ceiling fan above the bed for those who prefer not to leave it on overnight
- Internet. I had major problems connecting to the wi-fi using my laptop. I stress that this is entirely a problem with Windows 8 and has nothing to do with the hotel, but it is something to keep in mind if you are staying here. It worked absolutely fine on my phone and 3DS.
- Breakfast. The quality of the food is great, but if you stay for any more than a few days, it's very repetitive. The choices are exactly the same each day (eggs cooked one of four ways, along with bacon, sausage and a selection of breads, cereals and fruit) which as I said, gets very samey after a few days. It is also a tad expensive for what it is, though if you can get it as part of a package deal, it is probably worth doing. If you can't, I'd suggest popping down the road to a cafe for a better deal
- The baths. For those who haven't seen the photos, the centrepiece of the attic rooms are a pair of free-standing bathtubs. Very nice to look at, but I'm afraid I can't say more than that. We decided to try them out one day and found that there wasn't enough hot water to fill even half of one bath.
All in all though, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. The issues it has are minor and the good things far outweigh them in any case. I hope to be back one day!