“Design goes first before practicality” 4 of 5 stars

New Majestic Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31 - 37 Bukit Pasoh Rd, Singapore 089845, Singapore   |
Ranked #34 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Hong Kong, China
“Design goes first before practicality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is the 2nd hotel I tried for my recent trip in Singapore.
Location is much better than Wangz Hotel because it's less than 5 min walk from Outram Park MRT station.
First impression was good, as our room was ready even it was at 10:XX which was quite early in the morning. Due to certain connection, I was glad to be upgraded to "the most expensive room in the hotel" as the front desk claimed. She then showed up to the room and introduced a bit.
The suite on L4 was quite impressive in terms of design, with lots of "Double Happiness" words in Chinese all over the room. It seems like it was for a couple I believed?
There were two bathtubs in the open bathroom (though with a bit funny face on the wall). Bed was lifted up so we had to climb up the ladder for the bed which was quite a new experience for us.
After spending a day out, we returned to the hotel in the evening. We asked for newspaper at the front desk, who informed me that it was already placed in the room. However, when we got to the room, there was none. I called and asked if they had a spare copy. Unfortunately, they told me there was only one copy left in the lobby and asked me to go down and read it.
Consider it was already 21:XX at night, I did not see anyone (or one or two like me) would ask for the newspaper. I wondered why they did not send me the last copy instead of leaving the newspaper idle for the rest of the night. It's the matter of flexibility of service. If they did send me a copy and there was another guest asking for it, would they try to look for one somewhere else? So I was a bit upset about "NO" in the first place.
Later when my partner wanted to have a shower, she found out there was no hot water. Just before I was going to ask, I found the switch for hot water. What? I have never stayed in a hotel which I have to turn on the heater before shower. It made me feel like staying in a hostel, given that I was paying for around SGD300++ for a room.
With the heater on, we would like to try the double bathtubs, however, no hot water was available after 15 min. At the end, we gave up this idea.
After shower, we would like to watch DVD since I saw there was DVD player in room. Unfortunately they did not have any for rental when I called, so I needed to use my mobile to watch the TV drama for the night.
The next morning, we tried the infamous Majestic restaurant for breakfast. Maybe it was complimentary, the selection was a bit small.
Later, we went to try the pool, though not big, we were quite pleased to swim there.
Overall, it was quite good to try this hotel since it's something special compared with other traditional hotels. If they can solve the problem of water heater, this hotel would be on my recommended list.

Room Tip: MUST remember to turn on the heater before shower, at least leave it on for 15-30 min to ensure a ho...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
UnlistedCollection, Manager at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Dabawing,

Thank you for taking the time to drop us a note here. We appreciate your feedback and we are disappointed that we didn't meet your expectations during your stay with us. We have spoken to the staff concerned regarding the newspaper and are taking steps to ensure that such occurrences would not happen again in the future.

As for the water heater, with the recent refurbishment, we are now working on adding more water tanks to the hotel to accommodate this. As the hotel is housed in an old conservations shophouse, there was a limited number of water tanks that the hotel can accommodate initially due to space constraints. Rest assured, we are working to improve this situation.

We take our guests' feedback seriously and your feedback has been looked into and addressed with the relevant departments. With that, we hope that you would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and impress you with our commitment to improve.

436 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

Rooms were very small but quirky and innovative and the style of the property made for a more enjoyable way to stay in Singapore than in a typical corporate hotel. Very comfortable beds though lack of a proper bedside table. Wifi in the room was good. Decent size bathroom and great shower. Breakfasts were very average and a real let down. Hotel is located next door to Restaurant Andre - has to be the best restaurant in Singapore.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Warm hellos from the team at New Majestic Hotel!

We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Each of the 30 rooms at the hotel is individually designed to best accommodate a modern travellers' basic needs and conveniences. We appreciate your honest feedback on breakfast and we have spoken to the restaurant team to have this matter rectified immediately.

Should you be back in Singapore, we'd like to recommend our sister property Wanderlust located in Little India, so we may be of service to you once again.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011 via mobile

Superb hotel. Would definately stay here again if in Singapore.

• Stayed November 2011
Greetings from New Majestic Hotel!

Thank you for your note here. The team would be pleased to have you back with us once again. Till then, safe travels!

Atlanta, GA USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

First of all, I read all the reviews on here carefully and can assure readers that all of them are accurate - both the positives and negatives mentioned. For me personally, the negatives far outweight the positives and I would never stay here again.

First of all - a major problem not only with the noise but the area in general is the huge construction project going on directly beside the hotel and renovations within the hotel. Even if you want to stay here (which I cannot recommend given other Singapore/Chinatown options), don't even think about it until all the construction is complete. No assurance by hotel management about trying to minimize convenience can make up for the substantial loud noise that starts very early and goes on until past dark. Here is a clue from the room - a card on the desk states "We apologise for the noise outside. It is beyond our control. It is however, our duty to make it better for you. Here's something from us. Hope this helps." You guessed it - a pack of foam ear plugs!!!

OK, besides the noise - the other negative comments I read on here are extremely accurate as well - inadequate hot water. One person can barely finish a shower without running out of hot water and if you are in one of the garden rooms with the tub outside, forget about being able to use it because there is not enough hot water to fill it. There is a switch on the room water to turn on/off the hot water heater. So, evidently there is one small hot water heater per room. This was very annoying to have to rush through showers for SGD 310 per night.

Another annoyance - the internet speed is practically dial-up speed. Sure, it is free but it is practically useless. If you have to connect to TS/VPN type connections or use Skype/Exchange, forget about it. I ran speed test that were below 0.5mbps download. I called to complain and obviously management is used to these complaints from their reaction they said its the best the hotel has to offer.

Also, the A/C cannot be controlled adequately. The vents were blowing cold air down onto the bed and the room was freezing. The in-room thermostats do nothing but raise/lower the fan speed (front desk verified this) so there is no need to try to control the temperature. The front desk told me to call down each time I wanted the A/C in the room on or off! Yes, no in between - either on or off. So, during my stay I would let the room cool down then call down and they would switch it off remotely (instantly). Then when the room got hot I would have to call again for them to turn it back on. So annoying.

Restaurant/breakfast reviews on here speak for themselves. Not worth wasting your time writing about this. Marginally o.k., but in some ways just bad. Room was tiny - not any place to even put a suitcase. Overpriced basically.

Staff generally were very pleasant and tried to be helpful - but I could tell they know what the problems are - they simply smile and do their best to cover up the flaws.

I think most irritating on here is reading all the management responses, and how they tend to pick up on the positive things, especially on the negative reviews, and say "we look forward to your return". Why they can't see that these negative review actually matter and mean that people who have negative impressions will not be returning is beyond me. It is like management has their head stuck in the sand here and don't want to acknowledge the major issues. Hope this review is helpful. I managed to stick out the stay just because I didn't want to pack up and move to another hotel, but this place is not worth the price and has some major issues that anyone taking the time to consult Tripadvisor for advice will need to heed.

Room Tip: Don't choose one. Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I am a big fan of the hotels under the Unlisted Collection group. So far, my partner and I have planned a staycation at Wanderlust and loved it.

We booked a one night stay at New Majestic in Nov. We came to the hotel knowing it was undergoing renovation. Who knew, that got us a free upgrade from the Premier Garden to the Lifestyle Room! We got the Fluid room which was really spacious and really well designed. Again, loved loved loved the Ploh bedding and bathrobes!! The swimming pool was also big and private enough for a leisurely swim.

Beakfast the next day was great. It wasn't the best quality but I appreciated the effort to provide a good mix of Asian and Western cuisine. You also also get eggs and sausages/bacon included in the whole package.

Conclusion: Great design of the hotel aside, it's perfect for tourists looking an offbeat experience of Singapore. New Majestic is located between Chinatown and the up and coming, "indie" Tanjong Pagar. You'll get the best of both worlds being here.

I also recommend it to locals to go for staycations to escape from our country's urban hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
UnlistedCollection, Manager at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear denisenah,

Thank you for the kind compliments and continued support of the Unlisted Collection properties. We're pleased that you enjoyed the amenities provided within the hotel and grateful for your understanding of the on-going refurbishment. We hope to welcome you back for another staycation after the renovations, so we may be of service to you once again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011 via mobile

This boutique hotel is really great, we loved the lobby, the pool area, the amenities (kiehls products, free soft drinks & water) and the great eye for design. But we were a bit disappointed by our room. I had booked the junior lifestyle suite and thought it had a private outdoor garden area (as specified on the website), but apparently it was another that has this area. We don't mind small rooms as long as you can go outside, but that wasn't the case. So we felt a little bit claustrofobic. The breakfast was ok, but not great.

• Stayed November 2011
UnlistedCollection, Manager at New Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2011
Hello from New Majestic Hotel!

We appreciate your feedback and glad you enjoyed the amenities provided. However we're disappointed that you've had an otherwise experience with your room. There are 3 Junior Lifestyle rooms, 2 of which are the loft concept and the 3rd is with the private outdoor garden. Do inform us of your preference for your next visit and we'd be pleased to accord the room that best suits your needs.

Thank you once again for taking the time to drop us a line here and we hope to have you back with us so we may be of service to you once again.

Regards,
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

To start with the good points, I liked the hotels location a lot - it was close to great food and hawker centres in China Town. The MRT was also close by. I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. I was worried about noise after reading some reviews but our room overlooking the street at the front of the hotel was fine and we slept well. There was a good selection of Kiehls toiletries and if I remember right the mini bar was free except beer, there was also a decent Nespresso coffee machine in the room.

We booked a premier garden room which appealed due to pics I had seen of the outdoor space and the light, neutral room decor. When we arrived we were upgraded to a premier lifestyle king room which was pretty spacious. These rooms are all individually designed but I didn't really like the style of ours. It was all dark wood and bright red Chinese style, but just was a bit too bold and I found it off-putting rather than relaxing. The bathroom was also not very well designed. The shower was over the bath and to get into the bath or use the shower you had to step up about half a meter to the bath platform and then climb down into it. Myself and my partner both commented that it would not be suitable for some older or less abled visitors at all, and even I felt a bit precarious climbing in and out when the area was all wet.

The breakfast wasn't very good. After trying once we skipped it every day though it was included and headed to the hawker centre instead. The rooms are also showing some wear and tear. The pool is fine for a dip to cool off but nothing more as it's very small and from here we could hear construction noise. They should also put some towels or robes by the pool as you don't get many in your room so if you use the pool have no dry ones left.

All in all for the price paid I think there were too many faults and I don't think this place was value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Kittkey, greetings from New Majestic Hotel.

Thank you for your kind feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed the in-room amenities as well as the surrounding Chinatown area.

We have various rooms each designed differently. Do let us know of your preference for your next visit and we'd be pleased to accord one that would suit your needs and preference. Your feedback on breakfast has been noted and we have relayed this to the restaurant team. We hope you would allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel so we may be of service to you once again.

Unlisted Collection: Singapore

Been to New Majestic Hotel? Share your experiences!