“Convenient” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Hongkong Street, Singapore 059648, Singapore   |
Ranked #109 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
“Convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

This is hotel is located in a great location - a two-minute walk from the Clarke Quay MRT station, meaning most attractions are within a short/cheap train ride. The hotel itself is modern and clean, but the rooms are small. This doesn't bother me as I'm here on my own but it may cause problems with more than one suit case. The shower is great - big monsoon shower head. No fridge in room, and you'll need to ask to borrow an iron. Wifi is free and fast. Reception staff are lovely. Just beware the free breakfast - my egg, sausage and noodles were cold. Otherwise great value for what I paid.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Hotel Clover 5 is located on Hongkong street, a nice stroll away from Clarke Quay/Central shopping centre and MRT station, and in the opposite direction, it's about 10 minutes away from Chinatown, Bugis, and Raffles. Everything you want to see and more is close by at this hotel.

The hotel seems fairly new, and the rooms are very well fitted out. The rooms are spotlessly clean, every day!

Yes, they may be small, I had a room with a double bed (in the premier executive room) that was up against the wall, and you wouldn't be able to put two people in here, unless one person sticks in bed and doesn't get out all night! But for one person, this is spacious and generous!

The shower was new age and lovely! Water was hot and there was plenty of it!

You get two bottles of water and two bottles of soft drink in the room every day, plus tea and coffee. The free breakfast was great, you had toast, a choice of muffins and pastries, fruit, salad and some hot options that are probably more for Asian tastes than Western, but the hash browns and baked beans were great when they had them!

The wifi was fantastic, and free! The tv channels gave enough variety and loved the samsung screens.

There was no noise at all, and the room was dark and silent when needed!

I have nothing critical to say of this hotel, it has everything you need and the staff are all very lovely! Recommend this to anyone who is travelling alone, on business or pleasure. You'd need a bigger room for two though!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The location of this hotel was excellent, very close to the MRT station and not too far from the airport either. The size of the rooms though are TINY! They do mention their room sizes on the website but you only get an actual idea of how small they are when you see them first hand. Very tight squeeze for 2 people.
The breakfast was fairly poor, very small cafe/restaurant with limited seats for the breakfast. Rooms were spotless and swimming pool more like a pond.
Very expensive for what it is, but if you are after location only, then its great.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I chose this hotel due to its excellent position to the Clarke Quay/Riverfront area and Marina Bay Sands, where I had a few events over 4 days to attend and wanted to be able to walk. For this requirement, the hotel was excellent as I was able to walk easily and fast around the area.

Regarding the room size that many other reviewers have commented on – yes, it is small. However, this is Singapore where most rooms are small…and the square metre size is displayed when you are making a booking so you should know how small it is when you are booking. The rooms are clean as they are relatively new. The layout could have been designed better, but it is ok.

Breakfast is fine, a very simple spread of cereals, scrambled eggs, fruit and breads. Strangely, the only plates available are small side plates. Surely there is enough room to give normal plates.

Unfortunately, apart from the excellent position and clean rooms all other aspects let this hotel down very badly. I would hope that my experience was a one off, and others have a much easier stay.

Firstly, the TV remote control did not work. Not a big deal of course, but the start of things going downhill. Next, I arrive home after an event at midnight to find the air conditioning is not working in my room. I was offered another room but by this stage it was 1am and I was too tired to move all my stuff so I decided to stay in the room and get the maintenance person to fix it the next morning. The next morning as I was leaving for the day I was assured the maintenance person would check it while I was out, and when I returned at the end of the day the receptionist said it was fixed. I arrive to my room, and find the air conditioner still blowing out hot air! Returning to reception I meet the maintenance man in the lift who mumbles he has not fixed it….not a good indication of the communication between the staff in the hotel when the front desk had just assured me it was fixed. After changing rooms it was fine…except for housekeeping forgetting to replace my toilet paper. Unfortunately some of the staff were not too good with dealing with these issues either, as another reviewer experienced – one staff member was extremely patronising and another would not even look me in the eyes. The word ‘sorry’ was not mentioned either.

Unfortunately, I left wishing I had spent the extra $40 a night and stayed with my friends at the new Holiday Inn Express around the corner, which I visited and all of them loved and said the service was impeccable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

If you're severely claustrophibic, or have heaps of luggage, this hotel probably isn't for you.

I was travelling alone with only cabin baggage and in Singapore for only one night, and the Clover was perfect for me. I received a friendly welcome at reception, and was lent $5 because I was short for the cab fare.

Having read a couple of reviews complaining about the size, I expected much worse, but I was impressed with the thought put into the room's layout and fitout. There is a very comfortable double-bed with room underneath to store bags. The room was air conditioned and quiet. I slept like a log.

The room has a television, tea and coffee facilities, small cupboard, toilet and a separate shower. Included in the price were a couple of bottles of water, cans of soft drink and handy things like a toothbrush and shaver.

The breakfast was included, had a limited selection and very crowded seating. I was satisfied with a pastry, fruit, a bowl of cereal, a coffee and an orange juice.

The location is very convenient to Clark Quay MRT station and the riverside bars, restaurants and shopping. I checked out at noon but left my luggage to explore for the rest of the day. Later I walked a few blocks to Raffles Place MRT station where you can catch a train to the airport.

There was construction work nearby, but it only started at 9am and had finished long before I went to bed.

I've given this hotel 5/5, not because it is 5 stars, but based on the value for the price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Oude Wetering
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Rooms are very small but brand new and very clean. Unfortunately the mattress is too strong for me. Not really convenient for two persons as your suitcases won't fit in room.
Conveniently located near Clarke Quay and China town.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Match box size rooms ....prison cell sized ....very uncomfortable ...no place to keep luggage ...no air con .....unfriendly staff ,in cooperative ....just charge a bomb for no facilities .....it's a joke on the name of a hotel ...kindly guests please avoid this property plenty of options available at this price in singapore ...this hotel is a big no NO
CLAUSTROPHOBIC ...NO VIEW TUCKED AWAY IN A BY LANE
GUESTS NEED TO BE VERY CAREFULL AS STAFF IS VERY RUDE ...FEEL CHEATED ON STAYING HERE .
HORRIBLE ...HORRIBLE ...HORIBBLE
Just DONT GET IN tHE TRAP by pictures , it's really misleading.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Sherrine T, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Clover 5 HongKong Street, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Kapil 520

Warmest Greetings from Hotel Clover. We thank you for your valuable feedback and we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We would like to address the issues that you had brough up as follow:

Match box size rooms:
We had stated our rooms' sizes in our website and on online travel portals' websites .The room that you had chosen was the Superior category and the room's size was stated as 15sqm and 1 double bed. The online travel portal website also stated "One child under 11 years stays free of charge when using existing beds. There is no capacity for extra beds in the room."

However, after checking into the room, you informed our Duty Manager that the room was too small. Our Duty Manager offered to upgrade you to the highest category but you declined the offer and decided to stick to the room that you had booked.

The following day we were informed by our front office colleague that you had complained about the room being too small for you and your family. Our front office colleague invited you to view the room at our other property, Hotel Clover The Arts.

After visiting the room at Hotel Clover The Arts, we were informed that you had also declined the offer to stay in Hotel Clover The Arts and chose to shorten your stay with us.

No view and no facilities:
The hotel is located in a neighbourhood that is rich in cultural aspects and as a boutique hotel, the only facilites we have is the roof-terrace swimming pool and a cafe for breakfast.

Staff:
Our staff are trained to provide warm and personal attention to all our guests. We achieve this by going the extra mile to deliver true exclusivity in service to all our guests and here in this case, we offered a free upgrade to the highest category in Hotel Clover 5 Hongkong Street and a transfer to our other hotel, Hotel Clover The Arts which you declined both offers.

We will continue to provide worldclass service to all our guests and pride ourseleves as a boutique brand that understand every aspect of our guests’ needs and pampering them with our genuine hospitality, our amenities, our design and our technology.

Should you have any further suggestions, please do contact us at enquiries@hotelclover.com. We look forward in welcoming you to Hotel Clover in your future stay.

Yours Sincerely
Hotel Clover 5 Hongkong Street

Been to Hotel Clover 5 HongKong Street? Share your experiences!