“Business & Family option in Singapore” 3 of 5 stars

Shangri-La Apartments
1 Anderson Road, Singapore 259983, Singapore   |
Ranked #127 of 292 hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Business & Family option in Singapore”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I worked one month in Singapore and my family joined me during the children' summer holidays and the Service Apartment was a good choice for such period.

They offer complementary transfer airport/hotel, which is good after a long flight from London, as well shuttle service to shopping area and financial district.

The accomodation was 2 bedroms with good living and dining room for 4 people; the kitchen, albeit well equipped, it is small if you are planning to cook - not recommended; washing and drying machines at the same floor is convinient, but you need to buy your own detergent. On the basement level they have machines with supply of detergent.

Major problem was the air conditioner, which is necessary due to hot summer in S'pore, but unfortunaley it brought cigarette smell; yes it is correct: the entire hotel complex is smoke free, but looks that several guests don't respect that.

Swiming pool is large and sutiable for all ages, little bit cold, but very nice.

The best of such accomodation is the fact that we can use the hotel facilities, i.e., all meals in any restaurant with 20% discount (note they don't have restaurant at the service apartment, thus...), the good gym and the excelent swiming pool.

The typical Asian's Sunday champagne brunch is very recommended as well listening a very nice live music at lobby late evenings.

A good option for business travelers as well family holiday for more than 7 nights.

Room Tip: avoid rooms in front of swiming pool due to barbecue area could be noise; check if the room is reall...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The service staff at Shangri-La Apts are absolutely excellent - it is apparent that they are used to people and families coming to stay for longer periods of time, and so they put the effort and into developing good relationships with customers. It may be the Shangri-La training because the staff at the main hotel are warm and friendly too, but at the apartments you do get the extra smile, effort and greeting every single day. Top notch.

This being said, someone on here complained about the sales staff being second-rate: I agree. But I've also been sorely disappointed with every single serviced apartment sales person I've dealt with across Singapore. The longer you stay, the more they charge. Ludicrous. Inflexible. Disappointing - and if anything Shangri-La Apts probably showed slightly more flexibility than the others.

The apartments themselves and common areas upstairs are in need of refurbishment, but then so are some of the competing properties around, the nearest being Treetops. What made our stay particularly rewarding (family of 5) was the proximity to the Hotel, The Line breakfast, the pool at the hotel - something competing apartments can't match. For that reason alone I would stay there again. Shame I couldn't get Golden Circle reward points.

The reason for choosing the Shangri-La was primarily the location. When I travel on business in Singapore I often stay in the business district which is not as family friendly as Orchard and the surrounding areas. You just get more space, greenery, quiet all in a convenient easy to reach place.

I would stay there again next time I come with the family, no doubt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

As we were staying for a week, we decided to book the two bedroom apartment instead of staying at the hotel. The apartments have their own pool, but other than that you have to walk (5 minutes) over to the main hotel to use the gym, restaurants and other facilities.
The apartment was comfortable with a small kitchen. It is quite old in terms of its decor and facilities eg. The master bathroom has a shower over the bath with a shower curtain. The room is serviced each day (except Sundays)
Overall, our stay was good. Definitely worth it if you are staying for a longer period of time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We recently stayed at the Shangrila Apts. for 1 week. We were on holiday and preferred an apartment hotel as it works better with children. I have stayed here 7 years before & I would like to say that little has changed ..... Which also means that the design & aesthetics of the rooms are still the same. However, that would be the ONLY downside to this place.
The location is wonderful, just off Orchard Road but closer to the Botanical Gardens. The area is quiet with very little traffic noise. You are surrounded by green leafy trees. The rooms are clean & well maintained. The apartment building has a lovely pool (beautiful landscapping around it...) with deck chairs & showers. Also, residents have access to the main hotel facilities.
The staff is friendly and very very helpful. They assist you with information & bookings for restaurants, plays, concerts, ferries, Night Safari .....
Each floor has a laundro mat .... A tip, if you use Machines 1, 2 or 3 in the basement, you do not require your own detergent. :)
There are a variety of restaurants & a few grocery stores within 5 mins. walk. The loaction is very central to most parts of Singapore.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bangkok
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

How do you get rewarded for staying longer and giving your patronage to a hotel? They want to charge you more!
This is not a new property and is in need of an upgrade but overall it is clean and convenient with its location a short distance from Orchard Road. When I first checked in for a month I told them that if liked it I'd stay as I was looking for a no-hassle, convenient place to stay while doing business in Singapore - I'd probably need a place for six months - great they said and welcome. Paid in advance for the month and received a SGD200-00 coupon towards laundry, two airport transfers and complimentary breakfast at The Line. (Oh but by the way we will not provide you with shampoo or soap.... err okay Shangri La congrats on saving the twenty cents every day).
Come the second month am informed that now my super special offer is two month deposit, 1 transfer to airport and 10 breakfasts free...

Stupid sales tactics lead to lost sales; bye bye Shangri La Apartments (suggest you overhaul your sales department or their policies).

Please note fellow travelers that the service staff in the hotel are friendly and efficient and my review merely reflects the stupidity (greediness) of the sales team.

Room Tip: Rooms in another serviced apartment will provide a better overall experience.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Shangri-La Apartments at the beginning of 2013 for two months. I was apprehensive given the not so stellar reviews but overall it was a good place. It doesn't quite live up to the Shangri-La name but it was decent.

We had a 2 bedroom apartment that was clean albeit run down in some areas i.e . shower door would not close all the way, chip on the glass closet door, stains on the carpet. I also wish the windows could be opened. We were living in air condition 24/7 and sometimes the weather was so nice outside that it was a shame we had keep the AC on. Plus, some fresh air would have been great just to air the place out.

The staff were always very helpful and any issues we had were promptly resolved. They had a free shuttle down to the Orchard Rd area that we made use of quite often for grocery runs but it was also just as convenient to walk down if the weather was nice. Instead of calling for a taxi at the apartments, save yourself a few dollars and walk up to the hotel's taxi queue and catch one there. There is also another shuttle run by Paragon up at the hotel although we never used it.

We spent a significant amount of time by the pool and it was never very crowded. They added 2 more umbrellas towards the end of our stay which helped a lot since there is not much shade. The only downside is that if you sit near the shallow end of the pool you will frequently get wafts of sewer smell most likely from the other side of the wall by the road. Not sure what can be done about that but it is quite awful given the beautiful setting. Apartment guests could also use the hotel swimming pool but because we had little one with us we could never be bothered to walk over there since she was just as happy with the one on-site. My husband used the hotel gym a number of times and thought it was very well-equipped and luxurious.

The kitchen was small but functional. Strangely enough, when we took an inventory of the kitchenware and it came up short the designated number (6 or 8?), we were told that they don't replace them. So for some of the glasses where we only had 4 or 5, we had to wash them more frequently so we had enough to use especially when we had visitors. We cooked often but also had the breakfast buffet and dinner at The Line (in the hotel) a few times which we really enjoyed. We also used their complimentary coffee/cappuccino machine in the business centre almost daily. It churned out a decent cup.

We had a good stay and thought the location was convenient and excellent for getting the lay of the land. As we haven't stayed in any of the other serviced apartments here it's hard to say where the Shangri-La Apartments rank but I think next time I would probably try something else for a change.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the elevators are much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We just completed 10 days with the family at Shangri La Apartments. It was the perfect mix for us, as I had work to do in Singapore and South Korea whilst my wife intermittently had to get into her Singapore Offices in Changi Biz Hub. Its a great location, the facilities are 1st class with access to not only the apartment pool but the hotel main pool, gym facilities & everything else you could ever wish for. The free wireless internet around the place is so powerful. Access to laundry washer & dryer on each floor, a very good kitchenette area in each apartment, but above all we loved the staff. Our maid servicing our floor was great (the smiliest woman I have ever met!) but the star of the show was Sue Rosales at front desk. My 2 boys, wife and I love her and we are taking her home with us next time. She made our stay memorable and helped me out on a few occasions like the time I left my Ipad on our SQ flight inbound from London. The thing was virtually at the Shangri La apartments before I was...like that would happen in the UK!! We left our swimming costumes in the dryer when we left....Sue had it packed and in a taxi which was hand delivered to us as we check in at Changi at departure....and so it goes on. This is customer service taken to another level and for us Europeans frankly extraordinary. We will be back in 2014.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La Apartments? Share your experiences!