“Location good, service staff good, sales staff terrible” 2 of 5 stars

Shangri-La Apartments
1 Anderson Road, Singapore 259983, Singapore   |
Ranked #144 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Bangkok
“Location good, service staff good, sales staff terrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

How do you get rewarded for staying longer and giving your patronage to a hotel? They want to charge you more!
This is not a new property and is in need of an upgrade but overall it is clean and convenient with its location a short distance from Orchard Road. When I first checked in for a month I told them that if liked it I'd stay as I was looking for a no-hassle, convenient place to stay while doing business in Singapore - I'd probably need a place for six months - great they said and welcome. Paid in advance for the month and received a SGD200-00 coupon towards laundry, two airport transfers and complimentary breakfast at The Line. (Oh but by the way we will not provide you with shampoo or soap.... err okay Shangri La congrats on saving the twenty cents every day).
Come the second month am informed that now my super special offer is two month deposit, 1 transfer to airport and 10 breakfasts free...

Stupid sales tactics lead to lost sales; bye bye Shangri La Apartments (suggest you overhaul your sales department or their policies).

Please note fellow travelers that the service staff in the hotel are friendly and efficient and my review merely reflects the stupidity (greediness) of the sales team.

Room Tip: Rooms in another serviced apartment will provide a better overall experience.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Shangri-La Apartments at the beginning of 2013 for two months. I was apprehensive given the not so stellar reviews but overall it was a good place. It doesn't quite live up to the Shangri-La name but it was decent.

We had a 2 bedroom apartment that was clean albeit run down in some areas i.e . shower door would not close all the way, chip on the glass closet door, stains on the carpet. I also wish the windows could be opened. We were living in air condition 24/7 and sometimes the weather was so nice outside that it was a shame we had keep the AC on. Plus, some fresh air would have been great just to air the place out.

The staff were always very helpful and any issues we had were promptly resolved. They had a free shuttle down to the Orchard Rd area that we made use of quite often for grocery runs but it was also just as convenient to walk down if the weather was nice. Instead of calling for a taxi at the apartments, save yourself a few dollars and walk up to the hotel's taxi queue and catch one there. There is also another shuttle run by Paragon up at the hotel although we never used it.

We spent a significant amount of time by the pool and it was never very crowded. They added 2 more umbrellas towards the end of our stay which helped a lot since there is not much shade. The only downside is that if you sit near the shallow end of the pool you will frequently get wafts of sewer smell most likely from the other side of the wall by the road. Not sure what can be done about that but it is quite awful given the beautiful setting. Apartment guests could also use the hotel swimming pool but because we had little one with us we could never be bothered to walk over there since she was just as happy with the one on-site. My husband used the hotel gym a number of times and thought it was very well-equipped and luxurious.

The kitchen was small but functional. Strangely enough, when we took an inventory of the kitchenware and it came up short the designated number (6 or 8?), we were told that they don't replace them. So for some of the glasses where we only had 4 or 5, we had to wash them more frequently so we had enough to use especially when we had visitors. We cooked often but also had the breakfast buffet and dinner at The Line (in the hotel) a few times which we really enjoyed. We also used their complimentary coffee/cappuccino machine in the business centre almost daily. It churned out a decent cup.

We had a good stay and thought the location was convenient and excellent for getting the lay of the land. As we haven't stayed in any of the other serviced apartments here it's hard to say where the Shangri-La Apartments rank but I think next time I would probably try something else for a change.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the elevators are much quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We just completed 10 days with the family at Shangri La Apartments. It was the perfect mix for us, as I had work to do in Singapore and South Korea whilst my wife intermittently had to get into her Singapore Offices in Changi Biz Hub. Its a great location, the facilities are 1st class with access to not only the apartment pool but the hotel main pool, gym facilities & everything else you could ever wish for. The free wireless internet around the place is so powerful. Access to laundry washer & dryer on each floor, a very good kitchenette area in each apartment, but above all we loved the staff. Our maid servicing our floor was great (the smiliest woman I have ever met!) but the star of the show was Sue Rosales at front desk. My 2 boys, wife and I love her and we are taking her home with us next time. She made our stay memorable and helped me out on a few occasions like the time I left my Ipad on our SQ flight inbound from London. The thing was virtually at the Shangri La apartments before I was...like that would happen in the UK!! We left our swimming costumes in the dryer when we left....Sue had it packed and in a taxi which was hand delivered to us as we check in at Changi at departure....and so it goes on. This is customer service taken to another level and for us Europeans frankly extraordinary. We will be back in 2014.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our travel agent raved about the Shangri-La Singapore, saying it was one of the best in the world, in his opinion. He said he would notify his contacts at the hotel to give us some VIP treatment. So at check-in I came with high expectations. Things looked promising when reception announced that we were being upgraded.

But alas, they put us into a bland, soulless, musty two-bedroom two-bath on the third floor at the Shangri-La Apartments. My heart sank when I saw the place. I suppose they considered it to be an upgrade, but I’m wondering if I might have been happier in a standard hotel room with a bit more style on a higher floor with maybe a view.

Also the tiles of the pool at the Shangri-La Apartments could use a scrub. They were a bit fuzzy from lack of use, I think. The big pool at the hotel complex didn’t have that problem.

I came away disappointed with my experience at the Shangri-La.

Room Tip: Stick to the hotel; avoid the apartments.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We spent at Shangrila apartments almost one year and it is definitely a place where we wouldn't hesitate to return. Personnel is very friendly and helpful. All our needs were solved promptly. Rooms are spacious and clean with AC in every room,lovely furnished. We were also cooking quite often and kitchen was well equipped to meet our expectations. Internet connection is very fast and stable and whole hotel complex is well covered with signal. Apartment complex is providing complimentary facilities like tennis court,sauna,pool with jaccuzi. Another big advantage was that all appartment guests could use Shangrila hotel facilities free of charge (gym, tennis courts,pool,...) As well as complimentary shuttle busses to differenet parts of the city (business centres,sentosa,mrt station,etc). Furthermore location itself is very convenient right at the orchard road and close to botanical gardens.

• Stayed December 2012
jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here for 12 nights and had a pretty good stay. I had and early check in by 9am, got complimentary roll away bed for my maid, and all the staffs were so attentive.

My only problem was with the hot water, the shower ran out of hot water after five minutes, it was so annoying. Other thing is, they really need to clean up and maintain the flowers on the balcony, full of dead plants, dirty, and loads of insects.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff were very pleasant and helpful however that is about where it ends on the positive front. We arrived at about 9pm after a long flight with a very active 1 year old and discovered unlike anywhere else we have stayed, they charge per day not per night so our 9 nights charge turned into 10 days charge which when the cost was $600++ per day is not insignificant. We then went up to the room to find the door keys didnt work so frustration number 2. Then when we entered the apartment we were mortified. We had been told over the phone that the serviced apartment suites were the same as the ones in the hotel just with the additional benefit of a kitchen/kitchenette and a minimum stay of 7 days. However, I doubt this as the 2 bedroom suite/apartment we were given was decorated back in the 1970s with old cigarette smelling soft furnishings and brown plastic cabinets. The bathrooms were old and even the wall paper was peeling by the door. We immediately said we were not prepared to stay and the staff agreed to let leave despite having already swiped our credit card. Unfortunately by this late hour we were struggling to find somewhere else to stay and so the staff found us a room in the actual Shangri La hotel..however failed to mention that it was a twin until we arrived at the front desk...which just added insult to injury given I hadnt seen my other half for 3 months! So anyways, unless you get a 3 star price do not stay here given its 5 star pricing!

Room Tip: dont stay there!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La Apartments? Share your experiences!