“Our stay at Shangri La Appartments” 5 of 5 stars

Shangri-La Apartments
1 Anderson Road, Singapore 259983, Singapore   |
Ranked #183 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Reading, United Kingdom
“Our stay at Shangri La Appartments”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We just completed 10 days with the family at Shangri La Apartments. It was the perfect mix for us, as I had work to do in Singapore and South Korea whilst my wife intermittently had to get into her Singapore Offices in Changi Biz Hub. Its a great location, the facilities are 1st class with access to not only the apartment pool but the hotel main pool, gym facilities & everything else you could ever wish for. The free wireless internet around the place is so powerful. Access to laundry washer & dryer on each floor, a very good kitchenette area in each apartment, but above all we loved the staff. Our maid servicing our floor was great (the smiliest woman I have ever met!) but the star of the show was Sue Rosales at front desk. My 2 boys, wife and I love her and we are taking her home with us next time. She made our stay memorable and helped me out on a few occasions like the time I left my Ipad on our SQ flight inbound from London. The thing was virtually at the Shangri La apartments before I was...like that would happen in the UK!! We left our swimming costumes in the dryer when we left....Sue had it packed and in a taxi which was hand delivered to us as we check in at Changi at departure....and so it goes on. This is customer service taken to another level and for us Europeans frankly extraordinary. We will be back in 2014.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our travel agent raved about the Shangri-La Singapore, saying it was one of the best in the world, in his opinion. He said he would notify his contacts at the hotel to give us some VIP treatment. So at check-in I came with high expectations. Things looked promising when reception announced that we were being upgraded.

But alas, they put us into a bland, soulless, musty two-bedroom two-bath on the third floor at the Shangri-La Apartments. My heart sank when I saw the place. I suppose they considered it to be an upgrade, but I’m wondering if I might have been happier in a standard hotel room with a bit more style on a higher floor with maybe a view.

Also the tiles of the pool at the Shangri-La Apartments could use a scrub. They were a bit fuzzy from lack of use, I think. The big pool at the hotel complex didn’t have that problem.

I came away disappointed with my experience at the Shangri-La.

Room Tip: Stick to the hotel; avoid the apartments.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We spent at Shangrila apartments almost one year and it is definitely a place where we wouldn't hesitate to return. Personnel is very friendly and helpful. All our needs were solved promptly. Rooms are spacious and clean with AC in every room,lovely furnished. We were also cooking quite often and kitchen was well equipped to meet our expectations. Internet connection is very fast and stable and whole hotel complex is well covered with signal. Apartment complex is providing complimentary facilities like tennis court,sauna,pool with jaccuzi. Another big advantage was that all appartment guests could use Shangrila hotel facilities free of charge (gym, tennis courts,pool,...) As well as complimentary shuttle busses to differenet parts of the city (business centres,sentosa,mrt station,etc). Furthermore location itself is very convenient right at the orchard road and close to botanical gardens.

• Stayed December 2012
jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here for 12 nights and had a pretty good stay. I had and early check in by 9am, got complimentary roll away bed for my maid, and all the staffs were so attentive.

My only problem was with the hot water, the shower ran out of hot water after five minutes, it was so annoying. Other thing is, they really need to clean up and maintain the flowers on the balcony, full of dead plants, dirty, and loads of insects.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The staff were very pleasant and helpful however that is about where it ends on the positive front. We arrived at about 9pm after a long flight with a very active 1 year old and discovered unlike anywhere else we have stayed, they charge per day not per night so our 9 nights charge turned into 10 days charge which when the cost was $600++ per day is not insignificant. We then went up to the room to find the door keys didnt work so frustration number 2. Then when we entered the apartment we were mortified. We had been told over the phone that the serviced apartment suites were the same as the ones in the hotel just with the additional benefit of a kitchen/kitchenette and a minimum stay of 7 days. However, I doubt this as the 2 bedroom suite/apartment we were given was decorated back in the 1970s with old cigarette smelling soft furnishings and brown plastic cabinets. The bathrooms were old and even the wall paper was peeling by the door. We immediately said we were not prepared to stay and the staff agreed to let leave despite having already swiped our credit card. Unfortunately by this late hour we were struggling to find somewhere else to stay and so the staff found us a room in the actual Shangri La hotel..however failed to mention that it was a twin until we arrived at the front desk...which just added insult to injury given I hadnt seen my other half for 3 months! So anyways, unless you get a 3 star price do not stay here given its 5 star pricing!

Room Tip: dont stay there!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed at Shangrila apartments. Much better value than hotel with access to all facilities there. Needs modernising but very clean and comfortable. Excellent restaurants and The Line probably best buffet in town. In passing mentioned to the receptionist I really fancied egg tarts but forgot to pick them up on the way back. Next day, she ran after me with a bag of egg tarts which she has picked up on her way to work. Now that is exemplary service. Thank you Suriney for making our stay in The Shangrila so memorable. You are what makes Singapore a great place to visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed in the Shangri-La serviced apartments for 4 weeks upon relocating to Singapore last month.
While the apartments look a bit outdated and could do with some cosmetic renovation, I can't echo the other reviews that they are tired and worn. As other guests already mentioned, we also had an issue with the shower running low on water the 1st day, but this was promptly fixed.
While both our airport pick up and departure got messed up, staff were quick to rectify the issue at no cost to us.
One advantage of staying here is the use of all facilties in the main hotel, which are quite adequate, especially the hotel gym. The cake shop sells some of the best in Singapore and the location is actually quite central close to Orchard Road with free shuttle buses to the business district and other major areas in the morning.

In summary a grand property in need of some overhaul to iron out issues brought upon by simple wear and tear.

Room Tip: Take a higher floor away from the rather noisy elevator bells
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shangri-La Apartments? Share your experiences!