“Not a good location to bring your children” 3 of 5 stars

You added Fragrance Hotel Joo Chiat to your Saves list
Fragrance Hotel Joo Chiat
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   219 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427485, Singapore   |
Ranked #162 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
“Not a good location to bring your children”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

We arrived very late, around 11pm, so I figured someplace not very far from airpot. Turned out, Joo Chiat is not close either.

The outer look of the hotel is not convincing, the exterior color is not very attractive,makes it look really cheap, compared to 81 hotel which is near to Fragrance, 81 has a classic look,and is more elegant from the outside

The front officer is far from being nice. He's a bit grumpy and does not smile at all! Even when we first came in there was not any one there!and we had to call several times until he finally appeared.

How ever the room is ok. The bed is stiffy but it is big, and the bath room is amazingly bigger than any budget hotel I have ever been, it has a bath tube.

Finding fod to eat is very easy, and food price is very cheap. A very big portion of mee goreng only cost SGD 5 ang it tastes yummie too...

You should not bring kids, because it is actually karaoke and pubs area, so when we walked on the street in the nite time there were so many ladies with unappropriate attitude waiting to be hired

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

As I mentioned in a prior review, I am doing a survey of budget hotels in this neighbourhood. The Fragrance has larger rooms and windows which make it better than the Hotel 81's that I have stayed in so far. In fact my only complaint about this hotel is the plastic under the sheet. It makes me feel like I am in an institution but maybe that is just me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Needed a place to sleep at a low price in the Joo Chiat area. The price vs quality was about as expected so I rate this as average.

Check-in was quite slow, the lady at the check-in was pretty gruff and had an attitude on her; not particularly nice to deal with, which I can overlook due to price etc. My room had a single and queen bed in it, mattress was tending on the firm side. Room was very basic but clean, with aircon, tube tv and some basic tea/coffee items. Wireless internet was not free.

Bathroom was a bit dingy, and I noticed my particular room had water leaking all over the floor - and from the outside of the room the wall of the bathroom was showing massive water damage, seems some sort of leak. Again, will overlook for the price.

Joo Chiat location is interesting to say the least ! Lots of KTV/Pubs near by if that's your thing, but if it's not, people wont bother you so don't let it put you off the area. Plenty of cheap restos, food centres and 7-11 near by, with a full size supermarket less than 10 mins up the road.

Probably would not stay again and would try the Opera81 hotels if required.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bolsena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We arrived here after a long holliday for a short break in our flights home, we did'nt have high expectation's but were very pleasantly suprised the staff were very nice and greeted us warmly, the room's better than some of the review's as there were two couples travelling together, the plastic under sheet's as expected, but happy for the hygene with the bed's and we coped ok, nicer if they were less shiney and slipery? a rubberised type would stop the slipping on the sheet's? the only real critisism was the mould on the bathroom ceiling, as it is a fully closed in room no window's and with air conditioning, this would really cause health issues especially with asmatic's etc, so hope they get it cleaned up and re-painted, it may have just been our room?
We stayed two night's and can recomend the Fragrance Hotel as a great out of the mainsteam place to stay, the shop's around cover all your need's and were fun to discover and use, all in all a great Singapore stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I got what I paid for ($57SGD a night) which is a reasonably sized room, queen sized bed, clean blankets, and a bathroom which included a mini clothes line so I could wash clothing when needed. As a female travelling alone - I felt safe, but never went anywhere alone in the dark!

The reception staff are helpful but can be frosty - from reading reviews it appears that this is the norm. In saying that the staff at the Ritz Carlton were amazing and I wasn't even staying there (I'd just popped in for the free art tour). For the Fragrance Hotel I witnessed some of their interactions with other customers which varied from being incredibly helpful and patient, to raised voices, refusals and dismissive comments - not sure what to make of it.

To get an iron you must provide a $10 deposit which you get back when you return the iron & ironing board (when checking out). The iron never went past warm so in the end I didn't bother.

The house cleaning lady is lovely and accommodating, and made sure I was happy with the room (bless).The amazing choices you have for eating out, and it's close proximity to buses (just a few metres from the hotel) and the Praya Lebar train station (15 min walk) makes this location very convenient.

Room Tip: I had a room close to the lift (which I picked), and you could hear the lift, people going to/from t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived at the hotel just after 7am to be told we couldnt get into our room until 3pm. When I complained that we were tired we were told we could be in by 1pm. We went into Orchard Road for a few hours and when we got back our room was still not available. We had a tour booked for 1.30p.m pickup. We were told that when the room became available they would take our baggage to our room. We arrived back at hotel at approx. 9.30p.m. and baggage was still in the baggage room. Hotel room was clean but very small and the bathroom had no shower recess so the water from the shower went all over the bathroom. Even the toilet was wet. Lucky we had only booked for 2 nights.

Room Tip: Ours was a superior room, so not sure what else was available.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel Joo Chiat, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your hotel stay.

Due to heavy occupancy, our hotel was not able to provide an available room when you arrive in the morning. As you have not registered your check in at our Front Desk upon your arrival, our Front Desk Staff could not assign a room and arrange your bags to be delivered. Hence, your bags had to be stored in the luggage room until your return to the hotel.

Been to Fragrance Hotel Joo Chiat? Share your experiences!