“Cheap and low-class” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #219 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Bangkok, Thailand
“Cheap and low-class”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

One of a terrible stay in SG, the bathroom wasn't cleaned by the time that we moved in, towels weren't changed, so that we had to ask for room changing, which, end up with getting a smaller room. The 2 compliment wi-fi accounts didn't work with my macbook air but didn't want to bother with the hotel staff anymore, so just use my cellular at the time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Because of a delay of over 12 hours between flights travel agent booked me in to this hotel. It struggles to be a 2* in my opinion. No facilities for dining, not very clean and quite noisy, especially the air conditioning units. I did not appreciate the fact that the hotel is also in the "red light" area.

Room Tip: I don't think there is one!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

We reserved 3 nights in this hotel. When we arrived for check in, the first room gave to us was still dirty. Then the receptionnist gave us another room. This room was very dirty. Hair and dust everywhere, Sink dirty. What I want to say : This is a cheap hotel quiet old but it not excuse the cleanliness of the rooms. Also, the rooms doors are disable to open. The electronic lock are broken. You have to ask to the receptionnist almost each time to open it for you. However, the reception staff is smiling.

Otherwise, the area is popular and nice if you don't mind to be in the brothel's street, lot of restaurants and lot of people. Not far avway from the metro and hips of buses.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was my first visit to Singapore. The hotel was easy to locate and the rooms were nice as clean. All basic amenities were available, although the room was slightly smaller than expected. The staff were friendly and helpful. The locality is very vibrant and colorful, and the fact that it is a red light district is not at all a discomfort. All in all a cheap yet comfortable place to stay in an otherwise costly city. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

PH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Since my friend and I are on a tight budget as we want to spend more on things/experience rather than on hotels, we picked this hotel.

I should say, they have great service! Staff were really nice. Also, wi-fi is free IF you reserve through mail. It would be great if you'd book at least 2 weeks before you're stay here. We booked 2 weeks through mail. My friend e-mailed the staff and requested for a room with a window, and we did get a room with a window! We came at Fragrance Hotel Crystal around 10:30 AM and the staff were nice enough to look out for our staff while we go to Bugis and roam around places (our check-in time is actually 3 PM). We came back to get our stuff and put it in our room at around 4 PM.

As for the room, I didn't expect it to be THAT spacious. I mean, compared to that room we stayed in at Hong Kong, this one is pretty huge! It's like a 1/3 of the room we've previously slept in! I was quite shocked. Room is also clean!! Bathroom is also spacious. Bed is comfy and my friend and I slept with ease. Hmm, the only thing that I could say bad is that there were lots of mosquitoes. Good thing my friend got her insect repellent.

Location is not exactly quite nice and as safe like the other areas because it is situated in Geylang (red light district), but fret not 'cause it's not that dangerous at night! Just don't make eye contact with people and you'll be fine. It's actually nice to go out at night and experience the night life there! Also, going to the MRT is a good 10 - 15 minutes walk, unless you run then that would be ...less.

You don't have to worry about food, 'cause the area is abundant with it! You should try hawker places, but if you prefer fancy, well, there's no fancy restaurant nearby. While you're at it, try prata, teh peng (my absolute favorite drink, YOU SHOULD TRY THIS), kaya toast, Singaporean coffee and Chicken rice! Lots of food which cost less, but they're definitely yummy!

Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel and I would recommend this the best to budget travelers and to people who are quite the adventurous type.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window! It's better!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

In the middle of a red light district makes for some interesting people and looks. Lots of fun..not far away from MRT and bus route.

Super cheap because of long stay in Singapore, so wasn't expecting much from the room. Got what we payed for. Singapore hotels elsewhere were very expensive.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, B.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

This hotel is located in the middle of the red light district so if you have a problem with that, then go somewhere else. This was a late booking as I had to book one extra night in Singapore.

Got here around 11am from Chinatown and our room wasn't ready yet. It looked like it was being used by locals as a lot of people were there and no one else had any luggage. Took them a while to find my Expedia booking, left our luggage and went to go sightseeing. Got the room for $50 night while rack rate was $79 SGD.

Room was bigger than hotel in Chinatown, about 10-12 minute walk to MRT station. Lots of places to eat around there, we went to the Chinese place recommended by Lonely Planet.

I asked if we had to call for a taxi to the airport as we had a early morning flight out. Was told yes but there are actually lots of taxi's around, due to the red light district? About 15 minute ride to the airport, normally this would cost 12SGD but we paid 50% since it was before 6am.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fragrance Hotel - Crystal? Share your experiences!