“This is my new base hotel for Singapore” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Erskine Road, Singapore 069333, Singapore   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #29 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
“This is my new base hotel for Singapore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

I come to Singapore 4-5 times a year for work and previously would stay near or around Bugis Junction as most of my business was done nearby at Suntec Towers. I only stumbled onto this hotel in 2008 when most of Singapore was booked out and this was one of the few hotels that still had rooms left (albeit expensive rooms on that particular trip) so this was where I headed

Things didn't exactly go well the 1st trip. A late night checkin of around 10:30pm was compounded by a staff member checking me into an already occupied room. It was not a pleasant experience for neither she nor I when I walked in with the rooms occupant in a state of undress.

Anyway after that drama everything else during my subsequent stays have been just fine

The good:

- Free High Speed internet is a big bonus. Other hotels in Singapore charge upwards of $30 a night so count this inclusion into the rate. As a business traveler this is brilliant
- Beds are super comfortable.
- Rooms are spotless
- Maxwell Food Centre is directly across the road. The famous chicken rice shop ($3) is located in the food court.
- The fixed price lunch (3 courses) is a bargain! Especially considering that a buffet breakfast is $28 and this is not much more
- Concierge are exceptional
- Close to 2 MTR stations and Chinatown
- 7/11 is 50 metres away for drinks are snacks

The Bad:

- I am not a big fan of the 2nd wakeup call, yes I know why they do it but its always at the worse time (loo or shower)
- The standard rooms are small, but adequate. Get premium or higher if you want some space
- Desk Chairs are uncomfortable for long periods. As a business traveller I would prefer an ergonomic chair not a a luxe furniture piece
- Some rooms are very far away from front desk
- A/C is loud. but I'm a heavy sleeper so not a big deal for me

Overall this is my new favorite hotel in Singapore. As a business traveller it has everything you need. As a Leisure Traveller I would book here with no hesitation

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

In 2005, we were brought by a local to have a drink at their bar, Bold. At that time, it was THE new, hip place to check out in Chinatown and its striking luxe decor was unexpected, considering the original Chinese shopfront architecture.

Fast forward five years and now looking for a different area to stay in Singapore, we found ourselves taking a punt on the Scarlet. Thanks to the previous reviewers, we avoided booking small rooms without windows. Opting instead for an Executive with balcony, we found ourselves upgraded to a Premium room on arrival. Thanks to a previous poor experience reported by a reviewer here, we emailed to confirm our online booking had been received and had no problems on check-in. Mind you, our check-in was mid-day, not midnight as our previous poor unfortunate.

Judging from the fire escape floor plans, this Premium room has more space than many of the surrounding rooms and we found it adequate, with a small balcony overlooking a roofline, just enough space around the King bed to walk around, a desk area with 2 chairs and an adequate wardrobe. Our bathroom was marble tiled and had a shower, bath and frosted glass door.

Considering how timber furniture usually wears, these lush furnishings were in surprisingly good nick. The velvet on the main desk seat was worn but everything else was well maintained. The entertainment cupboard contained a DVD unit, which had a Scarlet-branded Chillout CD in it ready to play and an iPod dock that charged, but didn't appear connected to sound despite some remote fiddling.

The door staff, front desk and concierge were attentive and friendly. The hotel only has a cold outdoor jacuzzi/spa but that was a nice enough nook if you wanted to cool off. The gym is functional for a stretch, has a limited multi-function weights machine and a treadmill. As the hotel comprises several previous shop buildings going down a slope, we found our corridor heading downhill a long way before we got to the room, but the hike up and down the corridor helped burn off the Singapore noodles from the Maxwell food centre located across a car park, next door.

This food centre serves pretty good local offerings from the extremely popular chicken rice to reasonable fried oyster pancake and radish cake. Chinatown nightlife and more traditional eateries are close by, as is Club street, lined with evening restaurants and bars.

Not much shopping nearby but taxis to those areas are easy. The hotel is hardly conventional - there are plenty of tiny rooms as warned in previous reviews, it's stuck in Chinatown and definitely not your usual international luxury chain offering. It is however, well furnished and funky for a small space, close to good local food, a short walk to more alternative nightlife and shows you a side of Singapore that is not Orchard Road.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

This was my first trip to Singapore and I spend 2 weeks traveling between three hotels. First of all, Singapore is not a cheap place. A normal room costs $100. I stayed at Robertson Quay and would never go back. The Scarlett Hotel was the same price and SUCH a difference. The people were so friendly and helpful. They let me check in early and gave me a free upgrate to an executive room bc they were overbooked. The room was so clean and cozy, I literally spent the first day in the hotel room! The internet was free in the rooms (most other places charge $30-40 per day). It was a great location in Chinatown and you really got an authentic feel for Singapore. You could walk easily to attractions or take a very cheap taxi. I couldn't decide between staying in the city or going to Sentosa so I did a few days in each. I'm not a city person, so I thought I would like to be near the beach, but I MUCH prefered being in the city. I moved from the Scarlett to the Amara Resort, which was double the price, but I would have gone back to the Scarlett if I could. The Scarlett has this hip cool feel to it. There is a small gym, a jacuzzi (which is actually cold, so go in the day!), and I nice place to eat on the roof. I didn't know what to expect bc their website it pretty weird, but it is the coolest place I have ever stayed!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We chose the Scarlet Hotel as we wanted an alternative to the large soulless American Chain Hotels that are everywhere in Singapore, and it proved to be a great choice. Located in the heart of Chinatown you are immersed into the culture of Singapore as it existed prior to the dominance of the retail culture exemplified by the huge number of large shopping malls located everywhere in the City State.
We had organised Hotel / Airport car transfers through the Scarlet for a very reasonable S$60 each way and were pleasantly surprised to be collected by an S Class Mercedes complete with chilled hand towels and bottled water. This exemplified the level of service offered throughout our stay which was excellent. We had booked a theme suite, and the Swank Suite was decorated in very dark opulent fabrics as expected. As other reviewers have commented, the rooms are small, and even in this suite there was no extra space to store our suitcases. The funky decor and vibe of the Hotel compensated for this however, and we enjoyed a very comfortable 4 night stay.
The Scarlet is in the middle of a Culinary Oasis, offering everything from traditional Hawkers stalls one block away at the Maxwell Food Centre (open from late morning onwards), numerous stalls and small restaurants across the road in Smith Street (mostly lunch trade onwards), the basement fresh food markets just behind the Buddhist temple on Sago lane at the end of the street, more western oriented bars, clubs and restaurants around the corner in Club Street. And that’s without even considering the excellent bar and two restaurants within the Scarlett itself, or the other quality restaurants contained in similar converted shop-house boutique Hotels such as 1929 and the New Majestic within easy walking distance. For authentic Chinese cuisine we breakfasted every morning on Yum Cha at Tak Po in Smith Street, fast friendly service with picture menus clearly identifying the food and price, a very cheap meal. We also tried a noodle restaurant Lan Zhou La Mian (19 Smith Street), renown as much for the showy hand noodle making display as for the cheap and tasty food. A small trap to be aware of, bowls of nuts or other condiments such as refresher towels served to you after you are seated are charged to your bill, so refuse them if you don’t want them, although the cost is generally insignificant. For a more upmarket alternative Asian meal, Blue Ginger Restaurant (97 Tanjong Pagar Road) specialises in Peranakan cuisine, a mix of Chinese and Malay influences.
We dined at Desire, The Scarlet’s ground level fine dining restaurant, for lunch on the day of our arrival. The food was excellent, and the service good, although the French Maitre d’ came across as typically arrogant and self important, which spoilt the ambience somewhat. We didn’t get to experience Breeze, the rooftop eatery (open only in the evenings) due to the intermittent monsoon rains. Bold, the lobby bar offered a good selection of cocktails, and a fabulously eccentric selection of high backed lounge chairs suited perfectly to the Scarlet’s style.
Chinatown is also a cultural haven with numerous temples and shrines reflecting the rich cultural mix of Singapore. The Chinatown Cultural Museum is worth visiting to gain an appreciation for the hardships faced by many of the early migrants who settled in Singapore and contributed to its prosperity.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
AisleSeat67
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Experience briefly-
FIance and I were planning to spend one night in Singapore.
Meant to be a romantic evening to celebrate our engagement.
Booked Executive room on expedia and prepaid.

Arrived at hotel midnight from airport.
Told at front desk that they did not receive booking from expedia and told all rooms were sold out except suites. Further, if we wanted to have one of their suites, we would have to pay close to 500SGD for the upgrade.

Showed the booking confirmation and gave expedia contact information to follow up.
By 1230am, told they couldn’t contact expedia, but a room had become available and they needed some time to prepare.

Past 1am, go to the room at end of hall and discover there are no windows in the room, and very loud music from nightclub next door. Clearly not a room they normally sell. (Especially since walk-in customers at 12-2am were told there were no rooms, only suites)

After complaining that the room was unacceptable and was not what we booked, told to wait…and then again, another ‘room’ became available.
Same story…stains, damaged furnishings. A room that would not even pass at a budget hotel.

Finally by 3am, my fiancé and I told the front desk to just give us the suite and settle the payment issues with expedia in the morning, which the front desk clerk (finally!) agreed to.( Yes, we asked for this originally when we checked in at midnight)

Waited again to get the room prepared and by 330am, finally went to the room.
No comforter, so we had to wait for someone to bring it up.
By 4am, we went to sleep

The whole incident left an emotional scar for my fiancé and I.

Turns out the reservation fax from expedia arrived around 4am.

Good hotels would honour the booking, upgrade to the available suite right away and settle the issue with expedia.
Hotels advertise their properties with booking sites and travel agencies. It is 100% their responsibility to manage that relationship.

After calling Expedia, told that they did their job - despite the fact that the booking confirmation was sent 12 hours after it was made online. This is despite the fact that you pre-pay for your room on Expedia and availability is displayed in real-time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Not all the rooms are nice. Don`t let you frame with one of the tiny rooms or the ones with skylight !!!and no windows.
The hotel is well run by a good manager, when he is not there,one notices it as it turns kwickly to desaster.
Breackfast is a rape at $ 28 + vat + service, for froozen pastry and a dull buffet.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

small unique boutique hotel with splendid rooftop restaurant&bar , outstanding service and nice cosy rooms...additionally great located in restyled china town

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Scarlet Hotel? Share your experiences!