“it is fairly decent apartment based hotel, with just the right amount of facility” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Somerset Bencoolen

Save Saved
You added Somerset Bencoolen to your Saves list
Somerset Bencoolen
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 51 Bencoolen Street, Singapore 189630, Singapore   |
Ranked #75 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Vadodara, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

it is a fairly decent apartment based hotel, their breakfast is an extremely limited spread and we were disappointed in it. The facilities however are fairly good and if you are travelling with children they have a small play area and also pool and common jacuzzi facility

• Stayed May 2013

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We are planning to go back to Somerset Bencoolen this upcoming December (2013) but unfortunately they don't have the daily rentals anymore. Too bad as we loved the place a lot!!

We stayed there last year (September 2012) for 4 days. Got 2 rooms (2-bedroom and 1-bedroom) for all of us. The rooms were not spacious but were still ok as our kids were all still under 8 (all 4). Kitchen was nice and compact. Bathroom was nice, kids enjoyed the bath up.

The downside was that the main entrance was enclosed as there was MRT construction right on the street (and I think it's still going on until 2017?!). We all had to get off the taxi on the multilevel car park which was a bit of an unwelcoming situation.

But this was all gone once we were greeted by the nice staff (the front desk lady with black short hair was really helpful with my dad-in-law's lost luggage). Every time we got out (or got back to the hotel), the staff were always smiley and nice.

The other great thing about this apartment was the location. Not too far from MRT station (Bras Basah and Dhoby Ghaut), only 10 mins walk. Alsoooo... Only 5 mins walk from the free shuttle bus to the Universal Studios!!

All good... Could be better if the apartment had been equipped with in-room laundry.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am writing this at 1.20 am in the morning because I cannot sleep due to the terrible noise of heavy machinery working at a construction site next door. It is a real problem. When I checked in, I was told that that they work 9 am-11 pm but in reality they never stop. Most of the time at night it is just mild noise which one can tolerate but today it is just impossible and tomorrow I will see if I can move out. I actually feel sorry for this hotel and all neighboring properties because it is not their fault. And I guess they cannot fight whoever is building the metro station to stop the night work. I should also say that the staff here are really nice and helpful. If not for the noise, it is an ok place to stay. However bear in mind that the construction is to continue until 2017.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor away from the construction site
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
rashidahmad, Manager at Somerset Bencoolen, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Mr Michael,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the construction activities especially when the noisy work was done beyond permissable time. I have address the issue with the authority and spoken to the main contractors of the situation and they had assured us and will manage the noise within permissable level for work beyond stipulated time. We are monitoring the situation closely.

I really appreciate your understanding on the challenges we are facing and your kind compliments about our staff.

Yours sincerely,
Abdul Rashid
Residence Manager
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Friendly staff made us welcome with a no fuss check in as our taxi driver had called up a porter to the car park. Reception and all other staff always greeted us as we returned home each day. The rooftop pool, a spacious balcony,reliable wifi and the cooked breakfasts were highlights. We also used the residents lounge with libary and desktop computer but it also had a playroom, and kids library. The apartments had everything you needed, especially good air conditioning to the lounge and bed rooms. Shops/cafes were nearby and Orchard Rd was just a short walk away. A very comfortable place indeed. Although a rail station is being built outside we heard no noise from construction until we went outside the entrance.

Room Tip: Order an extra bed for older children if they don't want to share a bed as doubles are standard...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Melaka, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We just returned from our weekend away in Singapore and as always, I knew it was going to be something worth sharing on trip advisor!

First impression of the property... Multi-Level parking was a not as clean as I expected it to be. Our 3 year old ran around bare feet (I know...) and being the boy that he is, he had his hands on all the railings. Within minutes, his hands and feet were black as coal. No I am not exaggerating...but this may be caused by the construction that is going on close by... Perhaps it is something the management should look into soon? Also, we couldn't find the lift that could lead us to the lobby and instead we ended up in one that lead us to the security office! But of course the wonderful team of security guys showed us the way out :)

Check in process was relatively simple, but this could be because it was done by a relative prior to our arrival.

The unit was lovely. It comes with a kitchenette equipped with an oven, a toaster, a kettle, a microwave and a fridge. Very convenient since there is no restaurant attached to this property. There is a food court within walking distance and you can ask the friendly members of the front office for directions. Which I did. They were helpful but I ended up in the back street! Front office member Mr Azli was very attentive to note that I was heading towards the wrong direction immediately ran towards me and showed me the right way out! Thank you so much!

I also requested a top up of some amenities and this request was promptly attended to by a lovely lady from the Housekeeping department (I am sorry I didn't get your name, nice lady...)

The husband managed to squeeze in some time to swim. He enjoyed it. The pool wasn't the biggest ever, but was nice. There is a Jacuzzi too. There is also a small children's playground on the roof top but we didn't get the chance to take our 3 year old there. Perhaps next time!

Overall, we had a wonderful experience thanks to the exceptionally nice team members! Well done, guys!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights with my 4 year old daughter. We had a great time. The apartment was clean, simple and everything we needed. The pools/playground on the roof were great and the staff friendly. Although there are major works at ground level in front of the hotel, we were not bothered by it at all. There is a pedestrian walk way along the street, and cabs can drop off and pick up via the car park at the rear. There was noise, but it really didn't bother us at all.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We spent a few nights here in a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment was on a high floor, it was spacious, bright and modern. Okay, there was no dish washer, but that didn't cause a problem.
The apartments get cleaned daily, like in a normal hotel. The swimmingpool on the rooftop was nice. Supermarkets and all shops are within a short walking distance. Friendly and helpfull staff at the reception.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Somerset Bencoolen? Share your experiences!