“Average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #181 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I booked this hotel via e-mail only for one night. Even I've to stay 5 nights, i'd like to know how the hotel service is.
Upon arrival, we're not greeted well. mean, we need to check in by our own. there is nobody to welcome us, to open the door, to help our luggage, and we need to carry our luggage by ourselves.
I don't know whether it is the normal service style of Singapore because we're treated as the same as other hotels in Singapore too.
The room is very tight especially, the bath room is very narrow. But, they provide, kettle, 2 bottles of waters, phone.
The linen quality is also bad.
It is not worth to pay 85 SDG per night. But, the hotel itself is quite and nice location. closed with MRT and mustafa shopping centre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My family and I stayed in Asphodel Inn. We found the rooms clean but a bit small for a family with 2 children. the hostel has wifi internet at the lobby area only. The price is inexpensive, but the location is not so good as it is about a kilometer away from the nearest commercial area, and the nearest MRT station is 3 blocks away. this hostel is okay for those who don't mind walking for several blocks or those taking the taxi always.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Pune
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Asphodel is just the right place if you want to stay in the heart of the city for cheap! Being a student, I was low on budget and this place served the purpose. However, what was special about this place is the service was impeccable. The receptionist had a smile on his face even @ 3 am and the check in post midnight was not a problem too! This is a good place if you traveling to Singapore on a short trip and want to save a few bucks. The rooms are extremely clean and spacious. Highly reckon this to budget travellers. Next time I am in Singa, this is where I would be for sure.

Room Tip: Top floor corner room
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

Budget hotel...but OMG what a location!! Walking distance to train, great Indian Restaurants, Football Stadium and all of the great shopping that Little India has to offer!!
Staff were ever friendly and always willing to help. The rooms themselves were a tad on the small size...but hey your in Singapore and you should be out enjoying all this great city has, not sitting in a hotel room...so as somewhere to sleep after a hectic day and to recharge those batteries for tomorrow then it's perfect!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

please save yourself the heartbreak. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
tiny and filthy. bed was disgusting. had to sleep on a airline blanket we had taken from the plane. a prostitute and a "customer" were booking a room as we arrived. staff were horrible. ruined what was the going to be the best holiday I have ever had.
We also stayed in Hotel81 in little india. Much nicer, cleaner (A/C was a bit cold though)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

4 days and 3 nights me and my hubby crash into this hotel around farrer park, Singapore. It's quite nice, clean and quite calm neighbourhood. Not too crowded with the traffic around but close enough to MRT and others acommodation such as Bus and taxi. Beside, there's 711 and City Square Mall at the end of Road Race Street. Nice!
If you like, you can reach Little India with the famous Mustafa Centre with walk about 20-30 minutes from the hotel. I did it with my husband and its fun :) And there's is view of temple around the hotel, its cool for sightseeing.
So if you want a budget hotel, with bathroom attach, free water bottles, free wifi (just in the lobby hotel), water kettle with tea tarik or coffee for free in the morning, you can pick Asphodel for sure, if the distance its not an issue for you. It's quite good for a couple and family.

My issue its just about the closet drawer in my room, its like gonna tore apart and skewed. I dont know if it just in my room or what. But its not a big deal for me. As long as the bathroom and matras are clean.
Oh, another issue. When I checked out, the reseptionist asking me about my credit card which I used for payed through Agoda. I gave it to him and he told me its decline! how come? I already payed for it. He told me that in voucher it payed with Master which is I payed it with Visa Card. He tried to charging me again with another card. What a hell? Thanks God I always prepare for the worst. I gave him a voucher copied from Agoda that show I ALREADY PAY FOR IT WITH VISA! He checked again, and then he said sorry for the mistakes. D'oh!

So moral of the story for the travellers, copy any of voucher that you have before you gave it to the hotel, airways or so for the proof. By theway, I pay 69 dollar sing per night from Agoda voucher

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

we on purpose booked a fairly cheap hotel in Singapore. The first trouble was finding the hotel. We took the subway from the airport, got off at the right station - which had 4 exits. Make sure you check on google.maps beforehand where you need to go. The taxi drivers also had trouble finding the hotel because the Racecourse Road makes a funny, unexpected turn.
This beign siad, the location of the hotel is awesome, it's right in the middle of Little India, lots of restaurants around, and once you know your way around the subway station is in waliing distance.
The lobby of the hotel is newly renovated and looks welcoming, the staff is friendy and we were happy to find an elevator. BUT our room was tiny tiny and very basic, no fridge but the worst thing was the black mold in the bathroom.
Do note this is a very basic hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Asphodel Inn Singapore? Share your experiences!