“Nice Spot in Robertson Walk” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barraka Bar & Restaurant

Barraka Bar & Restaurant
11 Unity Street 01-18/29, Singapore, Singapore (The Quays)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,598 of 7,262 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Quays
Adrian, Michigan
1,520 reviews 1,520 reviews
“Nice Spot in Robertson Walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My colleague and I did not want to stray too far from our hotel so we walked ten minutes over to Robertson Quay to see what we could find. We spotted this tapas place and decided to give it a try. We chose to sit outside and were attended to right away. The host was very friendly and gave us the specials very promptly. We were able to order fairly quickly and decided on grilled squid for a starter. We were very pleased with the result. We then ordered seafood paella to share as a main and were quite happy with the taste. The prices were pretty reasonable for that area making it a decent value. The host was very pleasant as he checked on us several times. If you are in Robertson Quay, this place is worth a try as you can get drinks, eat a couple of tapas or get a full meal.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Houston, TX
“Avoid, Please”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We gave it a chance even after reading the other review.

The below is completely accurate. Service was so bad. SO bad. I am a patient person and was being blown off multiple times when trying to ask for the bill. Getting a drink? Lucky you because we waited forever.

Go somewhere else. This place blows.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good Tappas & Wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Really surprised by the negative reveiws of this resturant so far. I ate here with a pal last month who uses it regularly. We had great tappa's, excellent house wine, (red), and good service all night.
The quality of the tappas was particularly good as these were very authentic tappas.
Will be eating there again next week.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Incompetent”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

1. 40 minutes to get a drink is not acceptable. Even for Singapore's pathetic service, this place reaches glorious lows.

2. Bar staff blaming other staff absence is not my issue.

3. No indication from staff when you order that you'll have to wait a very long time.

4. When you ask after you order, you get the typical Singaporean despondent response that is insufficient, and leaves you knowing that the individuals involved are incapable of fixing the ultimate problem i.e. bringing out your order.

5. Lagers are not cold enough and slightly flat.

6. Staff offer to run a tab, but don't provide a tab number. (When we came to pay, there were all sorts of drinks on there that we hadn't had. When we challenged it, there was a lot of resistance. They offered a drink on the house, but that's little recompense for a huge bill, most of which is not yours. They eventually took some drinks off, but it still took a further 20 minutes to get the bill back to sign. Very frustrating when your night has started to turn sour, you want to cut your losses and just move on.)

7. The waiter wearing sunglasses all night needs to take off his sunglasses. The point at which aesthetics starts to impede on functionality is the point at which compromise needs to be made. I'm not pointing a finger at the individual. I'm pointing a finger at those who should be providing support and direction to the workings of the whole establishment.

8. To that point, it's not clear to me that the current manager is capable of doing that. I suspect he's been given the designation for the sole purpose of creating hierarchy.

I hope the owners take this on board. Given the location, this place has massive potential. It would be a shame to benchmark, and attempt to justify, their own service levels against Singapore norms. They should be aiming to show other bars how it ought to be done.

• Visited June 2013
“AWFUL service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Generally speaking, service in Singapore is pretty bad. Barraka takes it to a whole new level.

My husband and I arrived and had to flag down the server to order drinks. I ordered Sangria, which was advertised on a chalk board as being $6. My husband ordered a beer. After a while, my sangria came out, and we were told the beer would be out in a second.

A second turned into twenty minutes of us sitting and waiting - every single employee huddled in the back of the restaurant for a meeting and left no one to check on the customers. Really!? Someone could have at least brought my husband his beer before they all decided to disappear.

When the servers finally returned, we immediately asked for the bill. They not only charged me $10 for the sangria and said someone had made a mistake on the price, but they tried to charge us for the beer we never got!!

What's even worse is that I pointed out that they should correct the price on the chalk board, but it was left there for THREE DAYS afterward! (I walk by the restaurant every day).

What a terrible experience. They better do something about the service and management, or else this restaurant will be the next Robertson Quay casualty.

• Visited April 2013