“Lest we forget” 5 of 5 stars

UAE
11 attraction reviews
“Lest we forget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I planned to visit Kranji while on a buisness trip to Singapore. I would recommend doing the Changi musuem first and Kranji second. I done Changi on the morning and Kranji on the afternoon. The easiest way to get around is by buying the tourist MRT card as the two places are oppersit ends of the Island. You can get all the directions of the two websites but they really are easy to get to, the only thing I would say is Kranji is not signposted from the station. Just ask the taxi for the war memorial as they dont call it a cemetery. The taxi rank is next to the bus stops to the left as you come out of the station it is only five minutes from the station but to far to walk. When I came out of the cemetery I just crossed the main road and flagged a taxi down. Take some water with you as the sun is pretty relentless.

I would like to thank the commenwealth war graves commision for the amazing work they do . This place is immaculate like all the other locations they look after.

Visited October 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Nagano-shi, Nagano, Japan
5 attraction reviews
“A minute of silence please?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Visiting a war memorial is not exactly the first thing people would think of doing in Singapore, in fact it probably didn't occur to too many that there are memorials outside of Europe and the Middle East! Here is a slice of Singapore’s history. Take some time out of your day in Singapore and wander through the memorial, there you find peace from the traffic and skyscrapers. It is a bit out of the main area and there’s not much around, so I’d recommend you head out there if you’re keen on spending 2-3 hours travelling and visiting the site.

Visited August 2012
Singapore, Singapore
24 attraction reviews
“Solemn, sacred, serene place to remember those who died for us...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Being a fan and student of history, I got the chance to go here during a group cohesion where we laid a wreath and had a minute of silence to pay respect to those who died in the defence of Singapore.

You should take at least an hour to look at the various graves of the fallen from many countries. Of particular interest to me was the graves of LTC Ivan Lyon and the other members of Z Special Unit who took part during Operation Rimau in September 1943 and were subsequently killed or excuted during Operation Rimau in October 1944.

The cemetery is very well kept and maintained so if you have time to spare or need a breather from the hustle of the city, it's definitely worth a visit.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“Didn't plan on visiting this memorial - but so pleased we did”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We didn't plan on visiting this memorial but so pleased we did.
It was such an emotional and moving experience - I do not have relations/ friends remembered at this memorial but my grandfather did visit Singapore during the war and I am sure he had fallen comrades there. He often told us stories of Singapore and then Celon (Sri lanka) when we were children - it was nice to visit on his behalf as he is no longer alive, and pay respects for him.
The grounds are so well looked after it is a credit to Singapore.

Visited July 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“Take the time to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Kranji is a fair distance from the hustle of the city. As young Australian's we were determined to visit this important memorial. The North South MRT line takes you straight to the area. Then, if your up for it, it's a 20/30min walk along Woodlands Ave. There is a local bus running also and taxis will take you right there to the memorial. We just chose the cheapest option.
We were pleased with the upkeep, although not sure if the extra attention to detail was just for the Royal visit the next day. The site has been treated with respect, which was comforting after the Bidadari etc incidents.
The number of headstones and names was overwhelming. The layout is well thought out. The placement of the differing countries and ranks is touching, especially to see malay volunteers and the unnamed. If your not familar with Singapore's war history, read up at the entrance so you can appreciate the bravery and sacrifice. I personally went to pay my respect to the people who kept my own famiy safe during this time. A must visit for members of the Commonwealth.

Visited September 2012