“Everything is reasonable but the receptionist is horrible!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Venue Hotel

You added Venue Hotel to your Saves list
Venue Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   305 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427556, Singapore (Joo Chiat)   |
Ranked #119 of 301 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Everything is reasonable but the receptionist is horrible!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I am a local and this is my 2nd stay. The first was during 3am and my partner and I were tired from the stroll all the from ECP and just needed a place to wash up and rest. So the recept was nice enough to offer us a late check out at 2pm the next day. However, we checked out at 8am later as we needed to head elsewhere in the morning. Within that short time frame, though the room is a little cramp, we didnt mind as everything was pleasant. So we made another booking for last night to do up itinerary in a quiet place and spend some time tgt. As we both will be checking in late, by the time we are done with our stuffs, we will be turning in after midnight. Knowing that its not possible to wake up in time for the check out, and we would also like to sleep to our heart content(which will be few hours after noon) I made an effort to call the hotel 3days before our check in to ask if they could allow us a late check out since we are checking in late. The staff firmly told me no and advised that we will only do be able to do so at an hourly rate of $10/hr if we would like to extend. We're fine with it and told him that we'll be extending that day. So during our check out day, while I was still sleeping, we received a call at 11.30am to remind us about their check out timing at noon. My bf picked up the call but he wasnt aware that i had alr made a remark that i will be extending our hours so he told them to allow us a later check out. They said their best is 1pm. So he went back to bed. Around 1pm the staff came up and knocked on our door loudly(no idea what's the doorbell for or he just simply have no mannerism) Again, my bf was the one who answered the door. After that he woke me up and told me that they are rushing for the room alr. I just woke up and was confused why are they rushing for it. I didnt bother as I thought they could have mistaken and since I assumed my call 3days ago was handled by a responsible staff that will make an effort to note down my extension so I laze a little bit more before I finally wake up and get myself prepare for the check out. At 2.15pm the phone rang again and I got pretty frustrated and answer it personally. This time I tried to reason out with whoever was on the line regarding their ability to accept $10/hr extension but he rudely told me that they cant bcos they needed the room and that their boutique is full house. Despite telling him that I had alr informed their staff he still insisted that we cant do that for that day. Fine since i was almost done to leave. While checking out, there were 2 guys on duty. Both wearing specs, a slimmer one doing the cashiering while the fatter one told me to pay an additional $20 for the 2hrs I have exceeded. I was even more frustrated then. Money wasnt the issue. It was their attitude and they obviously trying to do it on purpose after the unpleasant convo over the phone earlier on.
12pm was the check out, the staff gave a 'grace-hour' to my bf to 1pm. Later on, my bf requested more time to be given which they agreed. All along they wasnt aware that we are aware of the $10/hr not until the last phone call which I personally picked up! Neither did they told us they will be charging us over the phone which ALL hotels would "warn" us beforehand if they were to do so. That's basic courtesy. You dont demand money out of nowhere over the counter just like that. I didnt wanna stoop to his level and handed my card to him. He returned me my card with the receipt without a thank you and a loose hand that my card and receipt almost slip off. I was on the verge of screaming right to his face but since he was only a recept, I forgo making a scene there.
This hotel is definitely not for people who are looking for 'good service'. A hotel 81 right beside it would have provide a much better service than this you-owe-their-staff-a-living's boutique.
Dont talk about customer service alone which they dont even bother to apologise for their colleague's(which i spoke on the phone to 3days ago) negligence but as a human being where's their very basic manners?! To make things worst, after checking out I was actually curious if its true that the premium room i was in was fully booked and I went online to do a check both on their web and agoda. That room was still available and open for booking on that check in date. So what rubbish had they made up to chase their guests away!

Also, their standard room doesnt comes with toothbrush which is most basic neccesity and their premium room have no hair conditional like what their standard's have.
Not sure why the double standard with toiletries, it's either the house keeper's fault or that's how the hotel works - to cut cost here and there.

The hotel is not exactly accesible to the airport though its still consider near via a cab.
But a better hotel around that area would be hotel 81 which is right beside them, or a little higher end, Santa Grand Hotel which is directly along the main road and less walking to the nearest mall I12 Katong. This 2 other hotels are way better than them in terms of service and comfort. At least I dont hear noises from the pub/KTV downstairs, people ringing the door bell, or people using the hair dryer in the middle of the night at 2-3am. Its either not as bad or totally peaceful.

How unfortunate, I have another booking with them again for a night before I head to the airport. Booking was made last month even way before my very first stay. Regretted so much for an impulse decision. Hopefully I will not encounter the same recept on my next stay again. His face is just sick. Purely sick! Together with his disgusting and lousy service, totally ruined my day.
Phasing out such human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth's biosphere to return to good health.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Background

I know Singapore well, have lived in the "City State" and have business there.

The location of the hotel is Joo Chiat Road in the East - not far from Paya Lebar which is a short distance from the airport. Joo Chiat Road could variously be described as a "party area", "lite red light district", or student hotel location.

The hotel is a trendy refurb of what I was told may have been a Hotel 81 (not sure this is accurate as there is another 81 within 400m). Whatever, it resembles the kind of trendy makeover that was common in France in the 1980's and The USA in the 1990's. Think, tiny rooms made to look big, with funky color schemes and good quality fittings and beddings.

For;

Clean and well maintained - but it is new ....and even before what appears to be this first review on Tripadvisor, my room had some damage to the glass on the washroom area sliding door.

Price - again with the caveat that by International standards it is expensive. Singapore is insanely expensive for most things other than basics. Food courts (coffee shop), transport and basic provisions are all cheap. But there is no middle market.

Location is OK as long as you learn how to use public transport. The number 16 bus stops is barely 100m to the left of the hotel. It will get you to an MRT (subway) station in 4 stops or to Suntec or City Hall very quickly. The number 33 to the right and left at the traffic signals is about 400m away. It will get you more central at Bugis but it is much slower with multiple stops. The MRT at Paya Lebar is walkable... if you can deal with the heat and humidity - most Westerners just forget it. LOL

Against

Charming reception staff but no service.

Tiny rooms - even my premier room was mostly dominated by bathroom equipment including a totally bizarre and superfluous standalone bathtub in the bedroom

No windows - certainly in my room, and I looked through several open doors without seeing a window in a bedroom

Noise - next to a pub/KTV. I use ear plugs all the time so no problem. You will need ear plugs if you are even a normal sleeper.

Not a family location. Not at all suitable for kids or teens unless you are very liberal parents and happy to explain the sociological side of the birds and the bees.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Venue Hotel? Share your experiences!