“Superb” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Perth
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

From the friendly & efficient welcome complete with complimentary lime juice to check out 7 days later we had a brilliant stay.
We had a premium room package c/w breakfast, great city views from the 11th floor. Breakfast at Lime was a teat to start the day, I even had the Asian style one morning. The choice of cereals, fruit, breads, pastries, cheese as well as the hot options were magnificent. The staff were more than helpful with endless tea, coffee & water.
The pool, gym on the 5th floor are of a high standard, a swim after a couple of hours on the go is a welcome relief.
The room is bright, airy & modern. Great options for TV, wifi & computers. Bed & furniture are very comfortable. The rooms were kept clean & linen, towels were changed every day.
Our fabulous week in Singapore started & ended with the Parkroyal on Pickering.
Highly recommended for all visitors to Singapore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
David-PARKROYAL, General Manager at PARKROYAL on Pickering, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear JonofWilson, thank you for sharing your review with us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed the stay and certainly look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience in the near future!...David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jakarta Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I remember passing by this hotel during one of my previous visits to Singapore and I told myself that I had to give this hotel a try. The greenery on and around the hotel was just so captivating. So try I did.

I found the location of the hotel was quite strategic, close to Clarke Quay, Chinatown and the Marina Bay Sands. It’s a nice alternative to the hustle and bustle of being on Orchard Road.

Upon arriving, I very much enjoyed the delicious welcome drink. Then I was told that my room was upgraded to a Junior Suite. I was surprised and happy about this. But then the lady at the front desk asked if I wanted to have breakfast for some additional cost. This time I was surprised, but not in a happy manner. I said I especially booked the Orchid Club room because it included champagne breakfast, afternoon tea, cocktails, and non-alcoholic drinks in the minibar. If being upgraded meant I would lose all those privileges then thank you but I wouldn't take it. So the lady squinted her eyes at the computer monitor, pondered a bit, then looked up at me, and shyly smiled saying: ah yes, you are right, I’m sorry. Duh!

So then I walked into my room and I almost stopped dead in my tracks. I was in awe! Floor to ceiling windows in the living room, bedroom and bathroom! My goodness, the view was breathtaking. I also felt though that the whole of Singapore could see me. No worries however as there were automatic day and night blinds that went up and down with a touch of a button. High-tech switches also controlled the lights. The different settings of the lighting did need some getting used to that I wonder if the older generation folks (like my dear old mom) would have a hard time figuring it all out.

Then I wanted to open the fridge. I was struggling to open the fridge’s door. I pushed and pulled and shoved and… nothing! It just wouldn’t budge! Wth!! So I called the front desk and told them I had a problem opening the door to the fridge in my room. She responded by saying that there was no deposit paid so the door was locked by the system. Now I blew my top off. I said very loudly, almost screamed, that not only was there a SGD100 deposit charged to my credit card upon checking in, but my room was supposed to include complimentary non-alcoholic drinks from the mini bar. It took about 15 minutes before I heard the soft click of the system remotely unlocking the fridge door!

Then I went around my floor looking for the ice machine. Didn’t see any. So again, I called the front desk. And she said, no ice machine. We will deliver ice to your room. And it was promptly delivered. So this time, I was happy.

So this hotel boasts on being green. There were no plastic drinking water bottles in the room. Yayyyy… There were glass bottles that were refilled by drinking water daily. Hmmmm… ok good for the environment but now I worry a bit about safety. Is the water really safe for me to drink? What if it’s not so sanitary? Who knows what stuff they could be putting in it? I took a leap of faith and drank it, and voila! I’m still alive. Haha… What’s strange though is that the non-consumables like the shower gels, shampoos and conditioners were in disposable plastic containers. Eh… what gives?!!

I missed out on the breakfast, which was included in the room rate, so can’t comment about it. I also missed out on hanging out at the rooftop terraces and the swimming pool. Oh well…

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Maura-SoeparjadiKwik, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and making PARKROYAL on Pickering your preferred choice of stay. I was very happy to read you enjoyed the stunning architecture and location of our hotel but very disappointed to hear about your two negative experiences with our Front Office associates and for that I sincerely apologise. I have shared your feedback with the team for their review and it is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. You raised an interesting point on our glass bottles and toiletries and please be assured that the water is safe for consumption. The hotel utilises the Natura® water purification system that removes contaminants, chemical impurities and chlorine, which are responsible for the odd taste and smell associated with tap water and some brands of bottled water. The glass bottles are designed to be washed and re-used, reducing our carbon footprint. You’ll also be pleased to know that we will be introducing more eco-friendly toiletries at the end of this year. I hope to welcome you and your partner back to PARKROYAL on Pickering in the future for a more successful experience. Thanks…David
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have booked a (Non-Cancellable) Junior Suite Room through the hotel online system on the 11 Jul 2013. The purpose for the stay was to celebrate my nephew’s birthday and my wedding anniversary. I had chosen this hotel as this is supposedly PARKROYAL flagship hotel in Singapore.
7th Sept 2013, I had check-in to hotel at 1425hrs (by Alan) and was told that I was been upgraded to the Orchid Club but the room will only be ready in an hour’s time. I waited at the lobby and seeing other guests who are checking in after me was being served a drink while checking in. At 1500hrs, I had gone to check with Alan to ask since I was upgraded to the Orchid Club, I prefer to wait at the lounge instead of the lobby. A couple who had checked in just after me got the keys to their Junior Suite room. I got to know about it after meeting them at the lounge. So why is it that they got the room first when I had checked in earlier than them or is it a Regular guest has more privilege/ priority than a first time guest?
When seated at the lounge, I informed the staff to inform me the moment the room is ready. Unfortunately, I had to ask the staff more than 4 times when will the room be ready. During this wait, none of staff has approached to me to let me know when my room will be ready.
1) 1530hrs – Asked the first time if the room is ready and staff mentioned that the Housekeeping is already doing up the room and they are checking the room and the room should be ready soon. (I’m fine with it since Alan told me that the room will take about an hour)
2) 1600hrs – Asked the second time if room 1303 is ready and staff gave me a puzzled look. A second staff then explained to me that her colleague is downstairs arranging to see if there is another room as the room 1303 is not ready.
3) 1630hrs – Asked the third time, the staff told me that they were not aware about me waiting for my room earlier as Alan only mentioned to them that I will be waiting for my room in the lounge but assures me that her colleague is now in the room to check the room.
4) 1645hrs – Asked the fourth time, the staff told me that House Keeping are already IN the room doing up the room and they are doing the last minute check the room to see if it could be released and will give her a SMS once the room is ready. She asks if I would like to speak to the Duty Manager and she would be able get him up to speak to me.
5) 1700hrs – Had to explain the whole scenario to Mazelan, the Operations Manager and he mentioned he will investigate to see what went wrong and will make sure my family had time for a swim the next day. He was helpful in arranging to convert the sofa to an extra bed. I was also offered a late checkout till 1600hrs the following day but I settled for a 1500hrs instead. And was offered to contact him directly should I have another requests.
I would like to highlight that during my wait at the lounge, 4 staff were seen discussing work at one corner. The rest were either clearing up or refilling drinks. I did not once felt welcome to the lounge at all, because I had not paid to enjoy the amenities in the lounge. The feeling given by the staff was “I was just an upgraded guest.” There was a lack of sincerity by the staff when they speak to guests. The feeling was not welcoming at all compared to my club floor stays with the Pan Pacific and the Swissôtel the Stamford where they would welcome guests with open arms and a warm smile.
Since the hotel’s check in time is 1400hrs, I see no excuse for me not to have a room ready by then and even if I really had to wait for a room, the maximum turnover time for a room should be about 30-40 min, I seriously see no excuse in waiting a few hours for my room!
As such, all my plans for swimming and spa treatments were dashed; I was hoping that my dinner would be good. And indeed, it was MARVELLOUS!!!
I have booked a table for 6 people. I would like to specially compliment Ms. Marie from the Lime restaurant. Upon arrival on the restaurant, I was greeted warmly by Marie and was escorted to my table. I had spoken to her over the phone 2 days back that my purpose was to celebrate my nephew’s birthday. She had noted on that and even arranged a surprise birthday cake for him. This surprise had certainly makes him felt very happy. He had totally forgotten what had happened earlier. She had left a positive impression on him to his otherwise dampened mood when we got our room late and could not have a swim before dinner. Addition to Ms. Marie, there was also a friendly female staff who has attended to our table. Thank you, MARIE!! You have certainly had brightened our DAY. And so I had totally put aside the bad experience I had earlier.

BUT on the 8th Sept 2013 at 1455hrs - Just as I was leaving the room to do checkout. I receive at call from One Connect, the hotel’s operator to REMIND me that my check out time is at 1500hrs. That was the last straw for me.
Alan was the one to do the checkout for me. Meanwhile doing the checkout, I asked him if he knew I had waited 2.5hours the day before for my room. Apparently, he did not know about it and the reason he gave me was he has already inform the club and he has no idea why I got my room so late. I told him my displeasure about the hotel having to REMIND me about my check out time; therefore he reconfirmed my mobile number with me and mentioned that he would be informing the FOM the following day to give me back a service call. Till 9th Sept 2013, 1700hrs, I still did not receive any call from the hotel.
I am greatly disappointed with my experience with the hotel despite being a PARKROYAL flagship. The rooms are really nice, new and beautifully designed however I feel that is a lack of sincerity from the staff to guests and the internal communication between departments could definitely be better enhanced.

Room Tip: Although requested rooms (for examples Double / Twin bedded) may not always be available upon check...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear 104Travel, first of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our new hotel. I was very happy to read that you chose PARKROYAL on Pickering as your preferred venue for your family celebrations but very disappointed to hear about the negative experiences. We take great pride at the PARKROYAL on Pickering in delivering genuine, relaxed and personalised service. Obviously you did not receive that and for that, I sincerely apologise. If there is anything further you would like to share with me please do not hesitate to contact me at david.sullivan@parkroyalhotels.com. I appreciate your patience and hope we get the chance to welcome you back. Thank you again...David
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It is a new property with an eye catching fluid, modern and green design. Located in the CBD area, adjacent to the famous China Town, and within walking distance of the Marina Bay sands, Clarke Quay and Boat Quay areas. Due to its location, the property looks very stand alone and distanced from the hum drum of the magnificent city, until you actually venture out to the China Town Area. In totality a good business hotel in the CBD area for a short stay.

I stayed in a club room on the 13th floor, overlooking the Clarke Quay and Boat Quay areas on the S'pore river. The room continued the design spirit of being eco-friendly and was entirely wooden with Japanese style sliding doors separating the bath and living area. The window was a huge glass facade overlooking a hanging garden from the 14th floor and the city beyond. Due to its strange design or probably my room location, I felt that I needed to keep my curtains down to prevent guests from other rooms peering in, I may have been wrong though. Room amenities were ok, but could have been better. Lighting options were few and gave a feeling of too much light or too little for comfort, this needs to be worked upon. Room service never refilled the moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner during my 4 days stay, which was strange for a 5star hotel.

The good thing about this hotel is the continuous lobby, bar, gardens, water bodies, all day dining all in a straight line. It was very unique and a welcome change from the typical closed door feel most hotels provide. The sense of freedom was over-arching and typical of a hotel imbibing the green/ eco friendly design.

Executive lounge was a nice experience and "Nicka" the lounge manager is most helpful and caring for her guests. Try the chicken deep fried wraps and crab duck rolls in the evening along with cocktails. They are yum!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor with an unobstructed view of the Clarke Quay area and Stamford areas.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear NeilRoy78, thank you for your review. Our guests are spoilt for choice when it comes to dining and entertainment options since we are conveniently located in the heart of Chinatown and just a 5-minute walk from the waterfront dining options at Clarke Quay and Robertson Quay. I have noted your feedback and comments and we will look into that and correct that shortfall on our end immediately. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to constantly adapt and improve our services. I look forward to welcoming you back for a more successful experience in the near future!...David
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I stay here with my hubby and 2 year old in a junor suite for 1 night as a stopover and its was just prefect! (We actually wished we had booked a 2 night stay cause we loved it so much.) The service was out-standing with welcoming drinks and they take extra care of our little girl too. The room was so grand and the pool area was stunning as you look over Singapore and the fact it's all so Eco made it even more rewarding for me. Would def come back here.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Monbelongphil, thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I am delighted to read that you appreciated the atmosphere and that the team took very good care of you and your family. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back again for another memorable hotel experience soon…David
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My hubby booked for a night stay to celebrate my birthday. Arrived at the place 430pm and got into our superior room with a breeze. The beds and amenities are very comfortable. Lovely presentation of the furniture, the natural lightings in the room and nice bench crouch created nice ambience for the room . I went for a great swim with my boys at the swimming pool situated at level 5. It was smaller version of infinity pool view across the city. There were a few nice cabana houses to lounge in. A pity that there are too few benches as quite a number of people was taking a plunge at the pool. The gym was well equipped. You could get complimentary mineral water at the gym.
Plus point was that the staff were quite initiative. M sister had left a cake with the reception and requested to send it to the room in the night for a surprised celebration. They provided us the necessary napkins, cutlery to my room together with my cake. Another incident was that my boy lost his goggles at the swimming pool on the first day night. I tried my luck to locate it the next day morning but it was in vain. The staff at the swimming counter offered other swimming goggles on loan to my boy which was a nice gesture.
The breakfast was not really extensive but they had great varieties of juices and delicious breads. They have the usual western breakfast which includes cereals, ham, bacon, scrambled eggs and etc. The Asian delights were the porridge, steamed buns and rice, prawn noodles, steam yam cake and Indian Vadas. You could get more delicious cheap breakfast at the nearby Chinatown market. The staff on the entry desk were accommodating when we asked to extend our exit time. I would say most staff are polite.
The location is central and close to Chinatown and Clarke Quay stations, so it is quite convenient to allow you to travel and explore the city. It's in a great location for seeing the sights and spending time in Chinatown especially during Chinese New Year or Mid Autumn Festival.
Besides limited variety of breakfast, the other negative point is that there were ants scurrying around on my room’s tables as there was coffee powder stuck at the edges on the table. I did request someone to clean it but I wondered they did come (as I was out with my boys to swimming). There were ants around the table and my sons were “happily killing” them. Hopefully they could step on cleaning areas.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear oscarsem, thank you for choosing PARKROYAL on Pickering as the preferred hotel for your birthday celebration. It is always great to hear from happy guests! The team at PARKROYAL on Pickering will be delighted to know that they have left such a positive impression. I apologise for the ants sighting in the rooms, they too love all the greenery! We now have that under control. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back again for another memorable hotel experience soon…David
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Beautiful and interesting facade. Upon entering the lobby, you get the feeling of a warm resort like hotel, despite it being in the city centre. Good and efficient counter check in service. Room was quite small, but clean, comfortable and modern. Most items are electronically controlled, including lights and blinds. Since the hotel is new, everything is clean and new, this is what I normally prefer in a hotel. Breakfast was average. Recommend to have local breakfast at one of the local eateries just beside or behind the hotel, tried the prawn noodles. Heard the curry noodles and pork noodles are excellent as well, especially among the locals. The hotel is nearby the MRT station. Taxies are relatively of good value. All in all, good hotel too stay in.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear OonCH, thank you for sharing your great review with us on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed the stay and certainly look forward to welcoming you back very soon!...David

Been to PARKROYAL on Pickering? Share your experiences!