I have booked a (Non-Cancellable) Junior Suite Room through the hotel online system on the 11 Jul 2013. The purpose for the stay was to celebrate my nephew’s birthday and my wedding anniversary. I had chosen this hotel as this is supposedly PARKROYAL flagship hotel in Singapore.
7th Sept 2013, I had check-in to hotel at 1425hrs (by Alan) and was told that I was been upgraded to the Orchid Club but the room will only be ready in an hour’s time. I waited at the lobby and seeing other guests who are checking in after me was being served a drink while checking in. At 1500hrs, I had gone to check with Alan to ask since I was upgraded to the Orchid Club, I prefer to wait at the lounge instead of the lobby. A couple who had checked in just after me got the keys to their Junior Suite room. I got to know about it after meeting them at the lounge. So why is it that they got the room first when I had checked in earlier than them or is it a Regular guest has more privilege/ priority than a first time guest?
When seated at the lounge, I informed the staff to inform me the moment the room is ready. Unfortunately, I had to ask the staff more than 4 times when will the room be ready. During this wait, none of staff has approached to me to let me know when my room will be ready.
1) 1530hrs – Asked the first time if the room is ready and staff mentioned that the Housekeeping is already doing up the room and they are checking the room and the room should be ready soon. (I’m fine with it since Alan told me that the room will take about an hour)
2) 1600hrs – Asked the second time if room 1303 is ready and staff gave me a puzzled look. A second staff then explained to me that her colleague is downstairs arranging to see if there is another room as the room 1303 is not ready.
3) 1630hrs – Asked the third time, the staff told me that they were not aware about me waiting for my room earlier as Alan only mentioned to them that I will be waiting for my room in the lounge but assures me that her colleague is now in the room to check the room.
4) 1645hrs – Asked the fourth time, the staff told me that House Keeping are already IN the room doing up the room and they are doing the last minute check the room to see if it could be released and will give her a SMS once the room is ready. She asks if I would like to speak to the Duty Manager and she would be able get him up to speak to me.
5) 1700hrs – Had to explain the whole scenario to Mazelan, the Operations Manager and he mentioned he will investigate to see what went wrong and will make sure my family had time for a swim the next day. He was helpful in arranging to convert the sofa to an extra bed. I was also offered a late checkout till 1600hrs the following day but I settled for a 1500hrs instead. And was offered to contact him directly should I have another requests.
I would like to highlight that during my wait at the lounge, 4 staff were seen discussing work at one corner. The rest were either clearing up or refilling drinks. I did not once felt welcome to the lounge at all, because I had not paid to enjoy the amenities in the lounge. The feeling given by the staff was “I was just an upgraded guest.” There was a lack of sincerity by the staff when they speak to guests. The feeling was not welcoming at all compared to my club floor stays with the Pan Pacific and the Swissôtel the Stamford where they would welcome guests with open arms and a warm smile.
Since the hotel’s check in time is 1400hrs, I see no excuse for me not to have a room ready by then and even if I really had to wait for a room, the maximum turnover time for a room should be about 30-40 min, I seriously see no excuse in waiting a few hours for my room!
As such, all my plans for swimming and spa treatments were dashed; I was hoping that my dinner would be good. And indeed, it was MARVELLOUS!!!
I have booked a table for 6 people. I would like to specially compliment Ms. Marie from the Lime restaurant. Upon arrival on the restaurant, I was greeted warmly by Marie and was escorted to my table. I had spoken to her over the phone 2 days back that my purpose was to celebrate my nephew’s birthday. She had noted on that and even arranged a surprise birthday cake for him. This surprise had certainly makes him felt very happy. He had totally forgotten what had happened earlier. She had left a positive impression on him to his otherwise dampened mood when we got our room late and could not have a swim before dinner. Addition to Ms. Marie, there was also a friendly female staff who has attended to our table. Thank you, MARIE!! You have certainly had brightened our DAY. And so I had totally put aside the bad experience I had earlier.
BUT on the 8th Sept 2013 at 1455hrs - Just as I was leaving the room to do checkout. I receive at call from One Connect, the hotel’s operator to REMIND me that my check out time is at 1500hrs. That was the last straw for me.
Alan was the one to do the checkout for me. Meanwhile doing the checkout, I asked him if he knew I had waited 2.5hours the day before for my room. Apparently, he did not know about it and the reason he gave me was he has already inform the club and he has no idea why I got my room so late. I told him my displeasure about the hotel having to REMIND me about my check out time; therefore he reconfirmed my mobile number with me and mentioned that he would be informing the FOM the following day to give me back a service call. Till 9th Sept 2013, 1700hrs, I still did not receive any call from the hotel.
I am greatly disappointed with my experience with the hotel despite being a PARKROYAL flagship. The rooms are really nice, new and beautifully designed however I feel that is a lack of sincerity from the staff to guests and the internal communication between departments could definitely be better enhanced.
Although requested rooms (for examples Double / Twin bedded) may not always be available upon check...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear 104Travel, first of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about our new hotel. I was very happy to read that you chose PARKROYAL on Pickering as your preferred venue for your family celebrations but very disappointed to hear about the negative experiences. We take great pride at the PARKROYAL on Pickering in delivering genuine, relaxed and personalised service. Obviously you did not receive that and for that, I sincerely apologise. If there is anything further you would like to share with me please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com. I appreciate your patience and hope we get the chance to welcome you back. Thank you again...David
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.