“Economically convenience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 5footway.inn Project Bugis

You added 5footway.inn Project Bugis to your Saves list
5footway.inn Project Bugis
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   10 Aliwal Road, Singapore 199903, Singapore (Kampong Glam)   |
Ranked #81 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
“Economically convenience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at 5footwayinn and both gave me unique experiences. My 1st was at 5footwayinn Chinatown which was great in terms of location (only took seconds from Chinatown MRT station and I love its surrounding environment).

Project Sultan also have similar experience; the staff were friendly and helpful, room was neat (love the bed sheet) and the surrounding environment also quite unique (old buildings and museum), but you need to walk more far to the closest MRT station.

I stayed in a private room for 2 because my wife is pregnant. It was nice for such price (of course laaa) but I think the stacked bed is too high and the gap between the bed and ceiling is too narrow (lucky me I'm a small guy so I managed to climb and crawl down to the bed).

Overall, it was a nice stay...will be back for sure :)

• Stayed September 2012
PC2_Manager, Manager at 5footway.inn Project Bugis, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Hi, 9emiano

Thank you for taking time to write us a review on TripAdvisor, and are pleased to know that you had good time in Singapore with us!

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be taken to the management and together with other guest's comments, we will look into improving our standards.

Once again, we look forward to hosting you and your friends in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Rooms were small but the beds were very comfortable and the aircon worked great. Best is the wifi is strong enough so that you can easily surf from the comfort of the bed. Though I would recommend researching your travel out at the indoor/outdoor sitting area since there's free coffee/milo/water and the staff are always ready to answer our queries. Ample power plugs in the room to charge the phone and camera. had your own lamp and plug. Liked the minimalist deco spiced up with interesting artwork. Think they're renovating the outdoor terrace so will be interesting to see how it's like when they're done.

Breakfast is toast and cereal and if you're early, some fruit too. Again the milo was sufficient to win me over.

Last the location is good and the neighbourhood has a cultural and edgy vibe to it. Would stay again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
PC2_Manager, Manager at 5footway.inn Project Bugis, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for choosing 5footway.inn Project Bugis during your visit to Singapore and also generous full rating!!

Now we are upgrading our toilet and room condition, and also doing spatial improvement to increase the size of the breakfast area and to have a nice terrace area in order to satisfy future guests!

We are pleased to know that you had a great time with us and we look forward to having you guys back in the near future.

Do let us know that you are a repeated guest and we will be glad to assist you again.
Kyoto, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a girls stay for 3 nights at this hostel. Was easy to find the location as it is close to the train station, or MRT as they call it here. Finding places to eat around the area was easy as there were many food places around and just a short walk away was a really crowded area where people hang out. The service was nice and one of the staff, sounded korean, was very helpful and helped us with our luggage. Liked the little kitchen with hot/cold water and other drinks like coffee/tea which were freeflow. The sitting area downstairs and outside were also nice though we liked the outdoor terrace on the second floor better as it was spacious and we had a great time talking the night away and looking out into the sky.

Rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Nothing too much about it but there's wifi throughout and it was easy for us to chat, plan our trip while laying on the beds in the airconditioned room.

Liked the chill atmosphere here and if we have another girls outing, will plan to come back :-)
Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
PC2_Manager, Manager at 5footway.inn Project Bugis, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi, Ayamiko A

Thank you!
Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We booked 2 Deluxe Double Ensuite, & despite our request & reconfirmation that were acknowledged by the reservation staffs (through e-mail) that we'd like to have adjacent rooms (they even gave us the room numbers), they gave 1 of it to someone else. Not sure if it's a new guest. We did come earlier than the check-in time & left our luggages with them, so they definitely knew that we're there & should've reserved the rooms.

Then they gave us another room (in place of the 1 which was unavailable) that was far from our already-available room. However, after we requested it, they gave us a room which was quite near to our already-available room. We couldn't understand why they didn't give us this room in the first place.

Thankfully, everything else was as our expectations, some are even better.

Rooms were clean. It's small, but adequate for us. 1 of our rooms had a standing light, but the other didn't. So wasn't sure if it's standard or just a perk. Consequently, the room with it wasn't as dark as the one without.

The floor was untiled, so you might not have that "clean" feeling, but I believed they clean it up for every new guest. 1 of our rooms had a slight freshly-painted smell, but it didn't make us uncomfortable.

We didn't have problem with the space between mattress & the ceiling. We could sit on it fine. However, we noticed that our 2 rooms had different ceiling layout, lamp placement, etc. Is it possible that rooms have different height?

Yes, the walls were thin, & from the inside of our rooms we could hear things, but we didn't find it to be disturbing. In fact, we'd say it's really quiet at night. And even during breakfast time, although our rooms were on the ground floor & pretty near to the lobby & kitchen/breakfast place, we found the noise level to be acceptable. Actually, having read all the reviews, we were somewhat surprised on how little noise we experienced. Probably room's location (floor & position), and also how other guests behaving at the time of your stay, will determine the noise level you're experiencing.

The air-conditions were well positioned & functional.

Bathrooms/toilets were clean as well. Shampoo & shower gel were provided on the bathroom's shelf. Toilets, showers, heaters, and sinks were working well. Off course, you can't expect a 5-star-hotel plumbing standard, so we're content with it. However, 1 of the bathrooms didn't have hooks or anything that can be used as it. The total lack of it really gave us difficulties in doing our bathroom-business. It's weird, because our other bathroom had it.

There's no room service, so you will have to ask if you need anything replenished (such as toilet papers). On the other hand, their employees regularly cleaned up the corridors & other common areas.

Breakfast & the all-day coffee-maker were great. You just need to plan your breakfast time, especially if you want the fruits. There were common fridge & washing machine, but we didn't use it.

We have nothing to complain about the staffs (well, except for our rooms mix-up). They helped us exchanging our paper money with coins to be used with a vending machine located just outside of the hotel.

They have free wi-fi which during our 3 days stay was sometimes inaccessible. We didn't really utilize it that much though, so we can't really comment on that. It's working when we needed it, but on occasions it wasn't.

The location was pretty near to the city, and probably 1 of the reasons for the price they asked. Therefore, we found their charges to be reasonable.

This was our first visit, & we certainly will consider this place again whenever we're visiting Singapore.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Redwood City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed here for 5 days end July. I chose the place because I was intrigued with the Arab Heritage Section.

Turns out the location is very excellent. I had stayed in Chinatown my last trip to Singapore so I got to compare. For my travel needs, this location was much better than Chinatown. Nichols Highway MRT was a short walk and I got around everywhere, even back and forth from Changi Airport through MRT no problem. I got to explore the Bugis area (10 minute walk from the hostel) easily. Just a few steps away, a Ramadan Food Fair was ongoing the whole time I was there so I got to see and sample inexpensive cuisine from various Arab countries. $2.5 SGD and one is full with a tasty and exotic meal! Its just 2 stops away from Marina Bay (Gardens) which I frequented. Every place I wanted to get to was just very accessible and the place, despite all the activity that went all through the night, felt very safe.

The Arab Heritage section was very colorful and interesting, and not far were swanky hip upscale places for young upwardly mobile impeccably dressed Singaporeans.

Regarding the hostel itself, I was not so happy in the beginning, but towards the end of my stay, I was very happy.

I was not so happy in the beginning because I did not know that I had to climb 2 flights of steep stairs to get to my room (all female dorm) which had no windows. Thankfully one of the staff carried my baggage up to the room. I had to navigate in very small quarters in that dorm and it felt a bit uncomfortable having to store everything under the bed where there was a drawer with a lock, so it was a constant bending/pulling and pushing. Other guests got to have regular standing lockers - I imagine those were kinder on the body to manage. The airconditioning was good and the temperature manipulable. By the 5th day, I felt the beds and rooms were actually quite comfortable. The sheets were fresh, clean and high quality.

I enjoyed the use of the outdoor terraces on the higher floors of the shophouse. It was very pleasant, except I wished they had a separate area where guests can hang their wet clothes and not have to hang it on the duvet, chairs and tables in the terrace, because then its feels odd to sit there. Just wondering isn't it more important that the terrace is for guests to sit in and not to hang clothes on?

The common toilet and bath areas had all sorts of different configurations which was a good thing for me, I can choose what configuration I needed for what tasks I needed to get done at any given time. Despite the rudimentary materials of cement and paint, the common bath and toilet areas/rooms had a good modern design style and generally pleasant to use. The free liquid soap and shampoo stored in lovely little ceramic like jugs, available in every bath area, is a nice design element, and a good touch. I brought my own towel but the hostel provides towels, which I thought was good too.

In the beginning I had problems with interactions with the staff (possibly because of differing cultures), but I made my issues known, and the good thing about them is they listen and adjust. The young staff definitely tried harder to make my experience as their guest a better one and I appreciate that.

There is a quiet Chinese Singaporean man who cleans the reception and common cafe areas all the time very quietly and assiduously. I thought that was impressive. What is even more impressive is his willingness to carry my baggage from the top of the steep stairs to reception area and refusing to accept a tip.

One of the good things about this hostel is that they have a pretty good breakfast. They have wholemeal bread (not just white) peanut butter, butter, and blueberry jam, plus a selection of fruits. They have a vending machine that provides lattes, cappucinos, milo drinks, green teas, chais, etc... free of charge not just for breakfast but 24/7. The fact that this hostel makes the effort to actually provide a healthy breakfast is impressive. By healthy I mean the addition of fresh fruits, they had bananas, oranges, apples, peaches, depends on the day and depends if you get to breakfast early enough. By the second breakfast hour the fruits may be gone so it pays to be early. Access to fruits, beverages and drinking water are very important to me and this hostel wins in the breakfast and refreshments front.

The common cafe area is pleasant as it is situate in an Art Gallery. It was helpful that the hostel has 2 new iMACs with relatively fast internet for the use of guests.

I definitely got the value I wished for and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Given that this place just opened, I had expected a little more.
I had booked a single room (shared bathroom) and it was actually the smallest room I ever had in a hostel, just about twice the size of the bed, and I can confirm other peoples' comments about a prison-like feeling. Also the aisles are very narrow and security exit were blocked at times, e.g. by laundry bags.

The room had no window, but I had been aware of that when booking, and to my knowledge this is not uncommon in Singapore, and I have experienced this before. The advantage was that the room was at a pleasant temperature (it had air condition, though, which worked fine).

My room was located near the small kitchen and the reception/lobby/breakfast area, therefore it was very noisy (all noise from inside hostel, no street noise or from neighbouring club). I could as well have slept on the aisle and especially while still being jetlagged I did not get much sleep.

The concrete floor looks filthy and also the bathrooms, although cleaning was done during my stay. Depending on where your room is, you have to cross the reception and lobby area to reach the bathrooms. I recommend to spend a little more and book a private bathroom.

One more point I did not like: I did not find a way to book ahead without paying an extra (non-refundable) booking fee, even when going through their website.

On the plus side:

The location is nice with a lot of cafes and eateries around, it's within walking distance of the circle line and east-west line.

There's free Wifi, complimentary breakfast, though very basic and you should be early, hot water and coffee provided all day. Towels are complimentary, but I needed to ask for one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Being in Singapore, you don't expect 'budget' accommodation by comparison to much of the region. However, the bed was uncomfortable with itchy linen, the breakfast was very ordinary and there were no knives the coffee was horrible too!). In addition for the ridiculously overpriced rooms (no en suite unless paying even more, for nothing extra really), one had to rent towels. The accommodation is clean and virtually new, the location is good and there is much to do and see around the hotel but I would not be in a hurry to recommend or return.
There was one chap at reception who was helpful but th girl was very unfriendly and rude.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to 5footway.inn Project Bugis? Share your experiences!