“Bad experience with awful service” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3 Save 20%
Ranked #66 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Bad experience with awful service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had booked 4 rooms (some checked in on separate days) in this hotel for my family and friends to stay. Unlike what most reviewers said, I had SEVERAL bad experience with this hotel which actually made me write this review.

1) Speed: The average check-in time was 20 mins (1st time I checked in was 30mins). Staff were either very slow or the IT system is slow or the whole process is slow or all of the above.

2) My requests were not met: I had previously wrote in to tell them that I would need connecting rooms else I will not stay here. Reservations team agreed but when I checked in. The answer given by front desk was " sorry, we do not have connecting rooms available."
Breathing deeply, I explained that I really need connecting rooms because the groom will pick up the bride here (yes, this is the hotel the bride's family is staying ) and connecting room is a must. Still the answer was " Sir, there is no connecting rooms." I then had to politely ask her to find out if it can be arranged, she gave me a pained expression which means NO. I had to explain to her more. Luckily, someone who walked in from inside noticed us and enquired. He then made some checks and said that I can have connecting rooms but in a few hours time. Which is fine with me as long as I have those rooms. Had I not insisted I would have no connecting rooms!

3) Request not met part 2: I need parking coupons for cars and would like to have them first so I can give to other cars which is arriving. The staff were timid and had to ask around if that is possible. Finally, a guy holding a thick 5cm stack of parking coupons say NO, because he is afraid the coupons will run out. Lack of initiative, inflexibility and bad service attitude from the staff really infuriates me. I did not get my parking coupons as I felt there is no need to make more requests and more people will come out and they hold a mini-meeting before making a decision and waste more time.

4) Inconsistencies and Bad services(again!) : As I have to check-in a few times (due to 4 rooms at different days and times). What really made my blood boil was once when checking in, the counter staff asked me to sit down at the lobby and wait as there is a queue. The next moment, someone else just walked into the hotel and is served by another counter staff. I went to the counter staff to ask why am I not served first and he just pretended nothing happened.

5) Check-out troubles: What pisses me off MOST was that Because I knew exactly how slow their service is. I volunteered to settle the payment FIRST, so as not to waste more time checking out and settling the bill. But on the day I checked out, they said I did not pay!!!! And they could not find my receipt, but insisted that I owe them money (they unfortunately have no idea what am I supposed to pay them, I suspect some staff wrote as a comment that I owe them an amount in the IT system). Luckily, I had my transaction slip, but they still insisted that I still owe them some money (which they have no clue of). I was furious! I said unless you can prove to me what I owe you, else do not say I owe you. BUT still they insisted!! I had to argue with them (3 staff) for a good 20 mins and they finally said, "okie we will investigate". (they were rude btw). Of course, when I returned, they ignored me. I had to ask what is the result of their "investigation" and the lady then apologised and said its all good. (Because of the delay, I was late for an appointment)

Perhaps their services have improved now. But I really had so many bad encounters that I had to warn people. Better luck to those that will stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tony_Cousens_GM, General Manager at Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking time in providing detailed feedback on the various aspects of our service. We are most disappointed that your stay was interrupted by several hiccups, and we hope that you would accept our utmost apologies for the various lapses during your stay.
We will be sure that these service lapses will be addressed through intensive training for our associates and we will review our process management to ensure that we close any potential gap within the processes. We assure you that this is an isolated case.

I have been trying to call you to personally apologise and hope that you will accept my call or call me at your convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Seoul
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Enjoyed two nights here. As everyone says, the hotel is brand spanking new. It smells like it, too. (if you are sensitive to new upholstery, plaster, paint, etc. i don't recommend). The service was indeed friendly and helpful. Staff seemed eager and new. I had a small problem with the toilet seat breaking and it was replaced right away!

Gym is small but equipped with everything I needed. Was clean and no one in midafternoon, midweek.

Some complain about the location but I thought the neighborhood on near by Balestier Street was quite charming. It may not be a tourist hot spot but I enjoyed walking around.

Wi-fi was annoying however because everytime I logged out I had to re-log on despite having a user ID and pwd.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear about the problem with the wi-fi. We note issue and will be addressing the problem. Nevertheless, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the historic charm of the Balestier area. Just would like to inform you (if you have not already known) that Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall is located just behind our hotel and our guests are entitled to free tickets when you show our key card upon entry. If you have a chance next time, you may want to pay this place a visit. I believe it will surely enrich your heritage experience in Balestier area.
We hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you at The Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park on your next trip to Singapore.
Chandigarh, Chandigarh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We got our booking from makemytrip for Cherry Loft apartments. But they later upgraded to Days Hotel. The hotel was clean and hygenic. Nice rooms. We were not bothered about anything. Good Management. Helpful staff. Just however there was no swimming pool. And location was not close to main attractions. But it still is great value for money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. Indeed, our aim is to provide the ‘’best value under the sun’’ to all of our guests. Perhaps you may want to try our Ramada hotel on your next visit to Singapore, which has the facility of a swimming pool and gym. Ramada hotel is located next to Zhongshan Park and will be opening in May, alongside with the brand new Zhongshan Shopping Mall.
We look forward to being of service to you again!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Excellent place to stay at this hotel, very clean room, the bed was so much comfortable, things provided in room was thoughtful to the guest needs. Check in and check out was fast, no long queue. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast served with fresh juice has boost my day.
Shuttle bus service provided to nearest MRT station, convenient !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Tony_Cousens_GM, General Manager at Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind and generous feedback! Our associates feel honoured to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us.We are delighted that we have lived up to our promise of the 'best value under the sun'.

We look forward to having you back at The Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park on your next visit to Singapore.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

new hotel so v clean, basic but comfortable rooms. Good value. Staff very helpful. Small gym, no room service but good restaurant on ground floor. Main drawback was location - not close to main attractions.

Room Tip: ask for room overlooking park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing The Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park. We are happy that our friendly service and high standard of cleanliness have played a part to ensure that all of our guests have a pleasant stay with us. We hope to have lived up to our vision of the "best value under the sun". You would be interested to know that we have a free shuttle bus service for our guests to the nearest MRT station, Novena, which is only two stops away from Orchard Road, Singapore's famous shopping district, and 10-15 minutes to the CBD and major attractions.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park on your next visit to Singapore.
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in Feb on a transit stop. At ~$120 per night it was a good deal (even the cab driver couldn't believe it was that cheap in Singapore for a new hotel like this!). I noted some tour groups stay at this hotel, but it wasn't too noisy.

The hotel is new and very clean - a very functional hotel, smallish room but not too small. Location is seemingly "off" in the sense that it is not near MRT (but a bus shuttle is provided, except not as frequent), and not much in terms of things to do around the hotel. But it is a short cab ride, or 4(?) MRT stops from Orchard from the Novena station.

Staff is new, could be better trained but tries hard.

Overall, I rate this hotel as an adequate hotel for a short stay in Singapore, especially for a transit stop.

(BTW, Zhongshan Park sounds like a big park but not many people know about it - so may not be immediately obvious to taxi drivers if you use the park as reference - use the address/Ballestier Road (the main road) as reference, and some drivers also know of the upcoming Ramada hotel that is being built behind Days.)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We strive to provide the “best value under the sun” to all our guests and we are glad that we have kept to our promise. You would be interested to know that Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall is located just behind our Zhongshan Park, and our guests are entitled for a free entry when you show our key card. In addition, Zhongshan Shopping Mall will open in May along with our Ramada Hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you on your next visit to Singapore at The Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park.
SG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Was only 31days old, everything was looking clean and smelling new! Carpark is a little dusty due to the renovations at the basement which is unavoidable.

Room:
As you walk along the aisle to the guest rooms, yöu will be welcomed by the vibrant colors of stripes decor. Guest room is simple yet filled with warm inviting colors. Not spacious but just enough for single/couple. I loved the Daybed & huge pillow in particular. Bathroom is equipped with basic toiletries essentials. Was allocated a room with city view but as the surroundings are low rise buildings, there's basically nothing to enjoy. Room rate: taking into factors such as location, room size, the standard rate per night is still on the steeper side (the opening special rate is still acceptable)

Semi-fine dining style
Restaurant name is kinda weird but the theme of the restaurant & high ceiling concept turns it around. The milk that was served for use as coffee creamer was warmed up (this is something which many restaurants tends to overlook)

Food: Even a lady myself feels that the serving portion is pretty small, not to mention guys.
-Oven roasted chicken was overpowered by the bean sprouts, -Prawn mango salad was awesome
-Beef shank so-so

Most of the staffs (front desk or F&B) are foreigners but what's impressive and worth highlighting is their friendly and impeccable service! They always wear a smile and appear to be always ready to render help to you!

The main reason for me as a returning customer is definitely the staffs there!

• Stayed February 2013
We appreciate you for taking time to provide a detailed review on us. Our associates are pleased to hear that we have lived up to our service culture of providing the ‘best service and value under the sun’. We are glad that you enjoyed our vibrant themed room and the premium Serta bed.
We look forward to serving you again at The Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park.

Been to Days Hotel Singapore at Zhongshan Park? Share your experiences!