“Excellent food, well-priced” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Excellent food, well-priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Tried out this place at Bt Pasoh. Parking is challenging, so you may want to make use of the valet parking over at the New Majestic Hotel. Located along a row of old shophouses, it occupies 2 shop lots and is tastefully decorated.

We had the dinner set with the paired wines, which started off with the chef selection of the very tasty but fois gras chawanmushi, scallops and delicious 'new-style sushi'. I then moved on to the Alaskan king crab salad, with a peanut based sauce. The next dish was the Kurabuta pork belly, which was served with a lemon sauce. The meat was tender and the sauce complemented it nicely.

The soup - crab bisque in truffle foam, was served in a glass. It was light and frothy.

For the main course, I went with the duck confit, which went well with the paired shiraz. The duck was crispy and the truffle-mashed potato was absolutely delicious. Dessert was the chocolate lava cake with homemade gelato.

Overall, all the dishes were very tasty and well presented. Portions were also just nice, which for me, isn't always the case with fine-dining restaurants which tend to smaller servings :) Good price, good service and most importantly, I enjoyed every dish tonight.

• Visited April 2013

Singapore, Singapore
“Multiple courses of carefully crafted delights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

A cosy restaurant in Bt Pasoh with a comfortable ambience. The set menu allows a choice of a few appetisers, soup, mains and desserts. The dishes were generally interesting and tasty. I would recommend the escargots in a flavoursome rosemary, thyme crust; crispy cod, mushroom soup with truffle oil; chocolate larva cake.
If you're driving, car park lots could be a challenge during peak hours so do try to get there early.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Great restaurant in Singapore.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This restaurant is top on my list in Singapore and considering the value, the best in town. Went there for a business lunch and we had the 5 course lunch menu. Sounds like a lot, but the dishes are perfectly portioned - so you do not end up too full. With the quality and the beautifully executed dishes, I wished it would have been a 7-dish meal. The food is as good as several Michelin star restaurants I have tried....just at half the price. Decor is dark, but pleasant. Only bad point (though I have not taken off points for this in the overall rating) is the service. Reason for this is that the service is average for Singapore - not great, as most any place I have eaten in the city. Singapore restaurant owners across the board could make a quantum leap in the overall experience (and probably their bottom line), if they improved their service. That said, I look forward to coming back to The Clan.

• Visited February 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
“Best value degustation menu in Singapore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I've had dinner at the Clan 3 times now. Each time I bring a group of people and always they're foreigners & locals. Without fail the kitchen impresses with well executed dishes, some of them very surprising.

Whilst the decor, especially downstairs, leaves something to be desired and the service staff is not super experienced (but very eager to please), I've always had a great experience here. When the bill arrives I'm always surprised on how low it is. A 6 course dinner of high quality for $64 is unheard of in Singapore.

The area is great for drinks before or after with plenty of cool (cocktail) bars around.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Shall make this a regular when in Singapore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I live in Malaysia and visit Singapore now and then for business. Friends had recommended Clan as an upscale, fine dining restaurant with eclectic decor and great value. We were not disappointed.

I read their website info before booking a reservation and it mentioned that the restaurant was located in a century-old building in the preservation area of Singapore (one of my favorite areas) and that there are two floors of seating; the first floor seating looks into the open kitchen, which is always my favorite place to sit, so this is where I requested we be seated.

Upon arrival, the manager was very attentive and said that as there was a private party on the first floor (which was being held in a separate, glass-walled room, so very festive to be able to watch the party group having fun---if you want privacy though, this is not the right party room to book, but this group was all feathers, and costumes and having a great time--we enjoyed watching this through the glass walls--and well sound-proofed), all parties were being seated upstairs but as I had requested first floor seating, they were happy to place us there...we were thus on our own (like our own private seating area).

Unlike in some other reviews, the staff had to be upstairs most of the night and also with this private party so one might expect to be ignored, but we received excellent service, knowledgeable advice and smiles/attention constantly. Maybe the owner took note of other reviews and increased staff training; I'm quite picky about service and it was spot on this night.

We chose the six-course meal. My husband and I are not huge eaters so this was more than enough food. If we had big appetites though, I agree this might not be sufficient, but we were very full by the end of the meal...larger than nouvelle cuisine portions, but not large portions either (....just right for us).

The chef starter was aesthetic and tasty...tiny mouthfuls of scallop (juicy), a foie gras chawanmushi and a scallop mousse cone (which was both creamy and crunchy). We ordered a bottle of the house Margaret River Sauvignon Blanc Semillion for S$ 60 (a steal compared to what we pay in Kuala Lumpur). First course for me was the king crab leg which was small but very tasty and refreshing with the karashi dressing, and my husband had the new style sashimi which was utterly fresh and melt-in-the-mouth texture.

My husband loved the side dish of the herb crusted escargot and I enjoyed the soft shell crab tempura but I did find the tempura batter heavy (we are used to really good Japanese tempura--probably best to leave that to a fully Japanese restaurant...). My husband had the miso soup as we lived in Japan many years and one sign of a good restaurant is its miso soup...very good (but then again, if you screw up a miso soup, not a good sign). I had the ginseng chicken consumme; one Chinese reviewer wrote that this was nothing that his mother couldn't whip up at home--fair enough (!), but some of us don't have mothers who can whip up this soup at home for us...I could have downed a bathtub full of this soup as it was so good and reminded me of some of the best soups I've had in China (I suppose if I was at a deli, I would say the same thing about chicken and matzah ball soup that my mother made me for growing up...!).

My husband had the salmon and to him, the portion was just perfect and the salmon very well prepared. I loved the 48 hour beef short rib on hoba leaf with Madeira sauce on lava stone. Quite a large portion and you could cook the beef for as little or as long as you like...I tend to like sauces so I was very happy with this dish, and I was full by my last bite.

We were already full before dessert so the chocolate lava cake pushed us over the edge of indulgence; just enough for a sweet tooth to fill a craving. I ordered the cheese plate...if I had been hungrier, I would have been disappointed as it was literally a tiny bite of five different cheeses (my husband is European and a cheese platter this small is sacrilege! But it was enough on this evening). We finished the meal with two expressos, which the manager insisted we not pay for...very nice.

S$180 for the entire bill...about 1/3 of what we would have paid in KL or certainly most restaurants of equal calibre in Singapore, so we were very satisfied and will definitely go again on our next trip.

• Visited February 2013