“An Italian restaurant with Fillipina waitresses, an Indian cook and a Japanese inspiration in Singapore, what could you realisti” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bel Mondo

Bel Mondo
9 Raffles Boulevard, #01-09/10 | Millenia Walk, Singapore, Singapore (Marina Bay)
+65 6336 3348
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,215 of 7,254 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Italian
Neighborhood: Marina Bay
Neighborhood: Marina Bay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

We had aperitifs at the Champagne Bar next door and were intrigued at the name on the signboard "Osaka Belmondo"! We had to have a go!

The food was less than ordinary and we have no complaints about the attentiveness of the service staff except that I guess they were not trained in anticipating that their customers' might like to take advantage of the happy hour but if it's a secret no one will know about it.

Try the Thai restaurant next door.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Arlington, TX
“Decent Italian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

A colleague and I ate at Bel Mondo’s last night. It was very serviceable Italian food. The menu leaned more towards traditional comfort food rather than gourmet. We had the bruschetta, salad, and then we both had tortellini with spinach and prosciutto . All of the courses were good. The service was efficient. If you are looking for moderately priced Italian food, then Bel Mondo is a good option.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tokyo, Japan
“Bel Mondo, you're dead to me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Bel Mondo is right across the street from the Conrad Hotel in Singapore and next to several nice looking restaurants. It was mid-afternoon and I had missed lunch, I was hungry and my hopes were high when I sat down to eat.

I got my first whiff of trouble when I saw the menu.

This menu offered what you'd expect in a suburban strip mall rather than what you'd expect from an Italian restaurant right next to a very nice business hotel in the heart of Singapore. There was no craftsmanship or imagination at all evident on this menu - just your basic ceasar salad, garlic bread, margherita pizza, lasagna, etc. But again I was really hungry and went ahead choosing a margherita pizza, ceasar salad, ice tie and a calamari appetizer.

The salad came out first.

There is nothing worse than sitting down to a ceasar salad in an Italian restaurant and tasting a sweet dressing. That tells you right off that everything on the plate and probably everything to come is processed and industrial. It also tells you that there is no chef working behind the kitchen or, worse, that there is and he is a lazy, jerk-off bad one that can't be bothered to make a simple ceasar salad with fresh ingredients and a bit of elbow grease. Not only was the dressing a horror, but the salad had wilted greens, no anchovy and croutons from a bag.

Next was the calamari.

Calamari is a great starter in that it's tasty (if you like squid) but more importantly allows you to instantly gauge the quality of the restaurant. You can tell from the very first bite if the restaurant is legit. Calamari should be tender and juicy, nicely seasoned and not too greasy. The squid bits should be cut from fresh squid (it isn't that hard). If there is too much breading, it's chewy and greasy you know you've just been served a processed product and you know the manager and chef are lazy jerks.

In this case not only was the calamari clearly from a frozen bag, but the pieces resembled those little onion strings more than they did calamari. These were thin, greasy and overcooked calamari bits - the worst I've ever had. I felt like going back into the kitchen and force feeding the chef and yelling "I work hard for my money and you want to STEAL from me you jerk!"

Next up was the pizza and the ice tea. You know the pizza wasn't half bad. Decent red sauce and crust, identifiable basil, just the right amount of cheese.

If you MUST dine at Bel Mondo I'd stay away from anything other than the most basic pizza and maybe a beer. But better advice is to stay away altogether. A restaurant like this doesn't care about you, they just want to take your money and hope you've never had decent Italian food (not that uncommon in southeast asia) or that you are just an idiot or too rushed (like me) or lazy to find another place.

Bel Mondo - you are dead to me.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1,363 helpful votes 1,363 helpful votes
“nice Italian food...... just dont expect great service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

nice Italian food...... just dont expect great service, had a decent meal, quite authentic food however very dodgy service, removed my wifes starter before i finished mine >>>>AND THEN.. brought out her main course whilst i was still on my starter!

• Visited June 2012