“No curtains!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #136 of 292 hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“No curtains!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Clean, convenient, comfortable bed, and friendly staff. But a massive negative was that there were no curtains and several windows (frosted glass)! So we were woken up at the crack of dawn every morning for 3 days! Also, the room was very small.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Now, this is a tough review to write and the reason for it is that I am not sure that goes into what category? I got this hotel because the other one,where I really wanted to go was completely occupied so I had to book this one. There are couple of points on both the good and the bad sides. I shall mention both and you can see what works out for you. Okay let's start from the good things first

Good points:
The hotel is a budget hotel so if you are not willing to spend a lot and looking for a budget alternative, this can be an option but do remember that there are many more options as well and just one street away from it, you have got three more hotels to choose from. Anyways, the hotel is having a food square right opposite to it and a 7/11 as well. Also, it's about 10 minutes walk from the hotel to the little India area where there is a lot of variety of food available so in that aspect, the hotel is good. Also, there is hot water and free access to wifi. Free wi-fi is hard to get in budget hotels so if you are like me who comes on business trips and needs internet after the office for more than 2 hours, it's a big plus to have it without paying anything extra.

Now, that's the end of the good points. Let's see now the bad points!

Bad points!

The hotel doesn't seem like a hotel but like someone picked up an old house , renovated the rooms to be converted into a hotel room and opened it up. I came to know that it got renovation and got reopened and if this is the situation after it has got a reopening, I don't want to imagine how it was before! There is no window in the room and the only set of windows that you are going to find is in the washroom. So the room feels like a mini cage. The furniture in the room looks like picked up from doll house and of very bright colors which are not at all pleasant to the eyes. There is a tv in the room but only 5 channels are there and I guess most are in Chinese only though as you get the free access of internet , that shouldn't be a big problem. I found the staff a little rude as well. I reached at the hotel early and requested that if there is any room which gets free, let me have the early check-in. In front of me , two rooms got the checkout and still ,the staff at front reception didn't allow me to have an early check-in and mentioned that I have to pay 50SGD if I want to do it! Since I was sitting right there when the checkouts happened and then too, the staff didn't buzz at all and struck on getting the money-not something that I would really appreciate.

Overall, as I said , it's tough to say that whether it's a good choice or not. May be if you are coming only to stay outside for most of the time and would use the hotel only for sleep, it can be considered but with no windows in the room,no curtains to escape from the sunshine that's going to hit right in the face at the morning time, not so comfortable rooms, I still wouldn't recommend picking it as the first choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this little hotel for 2 nights, and I have mixed emotions about the stay! The first night we were on the 4th floor facing the road. It was very noisy and we ended up timing our sleep between the changing traffic lights, very little sleep was had! We asked for an internal room for the second night which the staff organised without a problem! The people sharing our floor were extremely noisy, and we ended up with even less sleep!
Having said that, the atmosphere of the hotel is wonderful, it has a quirkiness about it that was very unique! We had no problem with the restaurant, and staff were very friendly and accommodating.
The reconditioning didn't do a great deal to cool the room, which left it very stuffy.
The bed was comfortable, and when asked for another pillow, it was supplied!
Despite the lack of sleep I enjoyed my time at this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night after often looking across at the hotel whilst having dinner at the Lavender food court which is just across the road.. Thus is in a good location for the bus into the city .. Also across the road. The hotel has a very boutique feel about it and the conversation from an old store to a hotel is well done. The size of the room was also larger than many similar priced hotels in Singapore and I have stayed at many many of them. BUT... I suggest the owners try to sleep in one of their rooms after the sun has inched up over the horizon. What is it that there is no window protection. It just reins your sleep especially battling time zone change.. Owners and managers get window covers. !!!!! Otherwise paying customers ?. Stop booking this hotel. For this reason alone... Be warned.

I had a room facing and internal courtyard and that was very quiet however if you had a room facing the street and the light and noise of the very busy road not wake you I guess a wake up call from reception would not be needed.. Also found it a little difficult to get a vacant taxi at this hotel.. They are either hired or going so fast on the opposite side of the road they just do not bother to stop .

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Patong, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is one of the hardest reviews I have had to write. There is a lot to like about this hotel however there was some things that were frustrating bad. The this quirky and funky hotel room is very clean and has a great bed and has very good wifi for free. These are three things that are important to me and it ticked those boxes. The showers are also very good so the stay there was comfortable. However, I am a walker when in Singapore and love to use the MRT and this hotel is not as close to the stations as many of its competitors. Inside the room there were a few things that were just poor. There is a frosted glass wall between the room and the bathroom and the only windows were in the bathroom. There were no curtains so first thing in the morning the room was quite bright and made it difficult to sleep. There were no free power outlets either in the bedroom or the bathroom. The kettle had to be unplugged to make a spare and it was at the other end of the room from the bed. It made it difficult to charge multiple devices and not good to use a power supply whilst relaxing on the bed. I am not a big watcher of TV however the television only had 5 or 6 stations (3 of which were Chinese) so I considered that very poor given the price of the hotel. There were no lighting or control switches next to the bed which is pretty common in most hotels. I stayed there for three nights, I was on the 4th Floor facing the road and I did not have a problem with traffic noise. I do like this hotel however I am not sure if I will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Room is okay. Their restaurant is really frustrating, very slow service! It takes forever before your breakfast will be serve! I don't recommend getting your breakfast if your in a hurry! We waited 1H every breakfast!

• Stayed April 2013
Norwalk, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Friendly receptionist but no service , we had to carry luggages from the taxi to our room without any help ,room was super small , no closet not even coat hanger . We had to take taxi to almost everywhere we wanted to go .

Room Tip: If you have a cruise that depart from Singapore stay in Bangkok or Saigon and take an early flight...