“Trendy and Affordable Hotel in Chinatown” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Naumi Liora

You added Naumi Liora to your Saves list
Naumi Liora
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   55 Keong Saik Rd, Singapore 089158, Singapore (Formerly The Saff)   |
Offers & Announcements
12% More Off Room Rates!
Ranked #100 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Trendy and Affordable Hotel in Chinatown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Interesting place when you open the door and House music is blaring at reception.

Overall a good place to stay. Funky and close to Chinatown.

It appears to be several old Singapore Shop-houses that were converted into a hotel which gives it a real "kitch" feel. Have stayed 2x and enjoyed both times.

Guest services were fine and liked the open snack bar at reception that is 24/7.

Amenities are fine but due to the age of the building, sounds do travel easily on lower floors. Mainly people going into rooms, moving luggage around, etc.

For price and location, I would say it hits the marks. I do not think it would work for family due to size of rooms and the set-up. I also feel it may prove difficult for business travelers. For couples, it was quite good.

Room Tip: Try staying on an upper floor for a bit more quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pjey M, General Manager at Naumi Liora, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Raelnc,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are elated to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Naumi Liora. We have heard your feedback about the noise level, and I will definitely look into making improvements to that area in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed at the Naumi Liora for three nights after spending three and a half weeks touring around Vietnam. The hotel is located in the heart of Chinatown, minutes away from the subway and from the Maxwell hawker centre, which I visited several times. The hotel itself it nice and felt a little more upmarket, but may be a little "much" for some guests, as there is a heavy smell of perfume when you walk into the lobby and there is loud music playing outside and in the lobby (they turn this down in the evening). The rooms are quite small (which is fine with me, since the room had everything I needed) and had limited natural light, which is a switch from some of the other places I've stayed at in Singapore. I had booked a Heritage Double, under the impression from the website that it would have a decent sized window, as I like to have some natural light in my room. The first room I was given smelled very musty, and when I went to reception to ask about switching and the lady was very apologetic and did what she could to switch into something else. She was able to find another room within the class that I reserved and she had my bags brought to the new room a few minutes later. When I got to the room, I noted that the window itself was quite large, but the shutters were closed and there is no way for you to open them. There is a small section of the window at the top, so I cranked the blinds all the way up and just left it open for the duration of my stay. The bathroom is a little tight, but functional (as a solo traveler, it was fine for me). I understand some reviewers' concern about the odd shower design - I ended up soaking a lot of the bathroom as well, but figured out how to minimize this after a while. The bed made up for any of the room quirks. It was ridiculously comfortable. If I could take the bed home with me, I would.
The hotel's snack bar was also great. I admit, I indulged in the ice cream often, which was great given the heat in Singapore.

Most of the staff was quite pleasant and helpful, though I found one of the evening reception staffers to be kind of meh. He seemed indifferent to my being there and I wondered if it was because he thought I was leaving because I was unhappy with the hotel (I was checking out at 10:30pm to catch a 1am flight but had booked the full night). While he did ask if I needed help with my bags (though it seemed like it was a bit of a chore for him, which is why I declined), he didn't make any effort to help with the door or walk me out. I guess I was spoiled in Vietnam (and at the other hotel that I usually stay at when I'm in Singapore), where this is standard practice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I just checked out from the hotel. I am a local so staying there if driving can be very inconvenient as parking is scarce. The initial impression was good. Like an upmarket boutique hotel, it looks and feels good. The reception is not large but there were more staff than customers. Service is poor as only of the staff was tending to the one before us, the rest were like just staring into blank air. We were told that there is a free bar but to our "amazement", it was just some meagre local snacks but nothing more. After getting our card, we proceed to our room. The passage was pleasant. We reached our room and it was clean and nicely done up. As we asked for a porch room, we went out to look at the porch excitedly. We were utterly disappointed. The porch was not bigger than a bathroom space so you cannot really enjoy yourself there. We did not step into the porch thereafter even after paying more for it. The room is not big and there is just enough space to walk around the edges of the bed. The bathroom was clean and neat, but weird in that it was elevated from the room so one has to take a step up. The room is not well insulated so noises can be heard. We were disturbed by party goers upstair. The overall experience is not positive and for the price that we paid, definitely not worth it so will not visit again.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Chershen,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to share your experience during your stay. It is, however, unfortunate that we did not meet your expectations. I will certainly look into improving those areas which you had expressed in future.

We hope that your recent stay has not marred your opinion of the brand and we hope to have the opportunity to be of service to you again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel has apparently recently changed names so taxi drivers are not aware of this new name but they do know the road as it's well-poistioned in Chinatown, in easy walking distance of the night markets. The hotel does not offer food services so their website is a bit misleading when it talks about the cafe downstairs - it's actually a place next door and not at all fitting their description. The website also cites that they have a 'fitness centre' - this is actually a very small room with no ventilation that contains 3 machines. I went down to use it early one morning and a guy was just leaving, having been working out and obviously working up a sweat, so the room smelled so bad and the room was so damp that I could not stay and use it - hugely disappointing. The room was nice and clean, although the sheets and pillowcases were stained which was not very appealing. The staff were very helpful - when I asked them when they would be turning down the loud music just below my room, they turned it off straight away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Cheerful decore and staff, I had a single bed room that was compact but had everthing one could need for a short two night stay. Location is in the middle of China town which has retained a wonderful atmosphere of the Singapore of years gone-by.All other amenities such as public transport, eateries, shopping , pubs etc are all within comfortable strolling distance.
If you're after resonable priced immaculately clean accomodation that is staffed by delightfully helpful personel and located in an area that has history on the door-step you can't go wrong here. If you are a light sleeper you may be bothered a bit of noise coming from outside activities.

Room Tip: If a bit of noise is a problem for you ask for a room that does not overlook the street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Northants. UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The hotel itself is reasonably attractive, with a boutique feel to the décor. The staff are very friendly in reception & the free coffee & nibbles is a nice touch. It's up a side street in a quiet area close to bustling Chinatown. Sadly there is no restaurant facility for breakfast. Hotel seems very clean. The real issue is the size of the room, which is mentioned in other reviews, but probably don't really get this across. We were booked into a "Quaint" room and on arrival they suggested we upgrade (at extra cost). as we were only staying 2 nights we said no.
First of all the room had no windows, so no natural light. The walls (as can be seen on the photos on trip advisor) are lined with dark wooden coverings, so the room was dark. You had to switch the light on before entering. reasonable wardrobe space. The bed was large and comfortable, but virtually fills the room. I'd say there is about 35cm space on each side, so we had to move our cases into the doorway in order to move around the bed (not very safe in a fire!) The bathroom is really a converted built in cupboard. It is just big enough to house the toilet, sink & shower. The shower cubicle is big enough, but because of the wall height (it's in the eaves) the shower head was only at my chest height, so I had to point it more upwards in order to wash my hair etc. this led to more water on the floor! Overall it's okay for a short stay, but I prefer a bit more

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Asia, Peru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Price:
Must have BIG budget! Yet, thankfully, room-rates were stable though it was seemingly a period of high occupancy. Also, hotel apparently charged the same rates as booking.com

Structure; interior n ambience:
Hotel occupies stretch of historic / conserved shophouses. Hence, 4 example, wooden stairs, floor, panels n tables. cozy due 2 smaller population n space. Quiet enough n strongly-scented lobby. so, relaxing.
"Oriental" 2 westerners? Charming? Brooding because of dim lighting, dark-brown panels n floor n narrow passageways? Though amongst pubs n eateries, no rackus or rowdy revellers @ night. Still, vehicular honking, occasional chattering in the streets, banging noises from my neighbouring rooms (alas, because of the hotel's conserved status, this cannot be easily rectified) disturbed me more.

Shortcomings:
Should have 1 recycling bin in every room n recycling bins @ the hotel's main entrance.

Should discourage the consumption of bottled water.

@ the lobby's bar:
Should provide drinking glasses n steel teaspoons. Should install
a water dispenser 4 hot n cold water (will convenience guests n relieve front-desk staffers of 1 task). Sugarless soy milk sachets n fruit juice packets will be special n welcomed.
Should display coffee capsules.

2 few cable channels in my room.

Overall: 4 the royal room-rates, improvements must happen. Nonetheless, experience was posh n comfortable. Reward yourself / your group with a short n satisfying stay. Small but sensible service like umbrellas @ the main entrance during rainy times pleased me.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Naumi Liora? Share your experiences!