“Nice hotel :)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Summer View Hotel

You added Summer View Hotel to your Saves list
Summer View Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   173 Bencoolen Street, Singapore 189642, Singapore (Rochor)   |
Ranked #135 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
“Nice hotel :)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

PROS:
1. The breakfast buffet was awesome!
- The dishes aren't that special (normal breakfast food) but they all very delicious!
- After our first morning, I was excited to eat there again
2. Great location
- There's a 7-Eleven across the street
- It's not hard to get a taxi from the hotel
- 10 minute walk from Bugis
3. Super fast wifi connection
- You can connect from your room and basically anywhere inside the hotel
4. Friendly staff :)

CONS:
1. Our shower was broken
- Twice and the hot water wasn't reliable
2. Their furniture are old
- And gives the impression that they are dirty
3. No toiletries
- No shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
- Only soap

CONCLUSION:
It's an "okay" hotel. It's "livalble" but not fancy :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at Summer View Hotel on the 4th floor. We booked 4 rooms (each with extra bed placed in) for 10 adults, 2 kids and 1 baby. We had a great stay with them. 2 rooms had a queen-sized bed and an extra single bed and the other 2 had 3 single beds- space would only be an issue if you have a lot of luggage. 2 of the rooms are adjoining. TV varied, depending on the room, I think they're in the process of replacing the old ones, but the english channels are limited (but who would stay in the hotel in SG to watch tv anyway?) Bathroom had bathtub with hot shower, railings to hold on to and anti-slip mats - for us it was just the right size and very clean. Only soap in dispenser, shower cap and face/body towels are provided. AC worked great - just be careful when setting the temp, you might find yourself chilled to the bone. They did provide water in the ref, but in a pitcher. Coffee/tea available, but coffee does not taste good. Our room faced the street, but you could only see the street below and building in front. Our rooms were cleaned daily.

All the staff we talked to were friendly and helpful. They gave directions to the big tourist attractions we went to: Merlion Park/Clarke Quay, Sg Zoo, Bugis Street/Mustafa Center. The hotel is one of the stops for the free shuttle to Universal Studios, which is a huge plus. We just walked to Bugis Street and taxi to Mustafa Center was about 3mins. Bus stop/taxi stop was across the street and in front of the hotel. Burlington Square, Bencoolen Place (?), Albert Mall, Sim Lim had food courts for cheap but good food; and restaurants/fast food also. Bugis Street had a lot of souvenir items for sale in bulk, better to buy souvenirs here. But for chocolates, go to Mustafa Center.

Free breakfast was buffet style with fried rice, beans, egg (scrambled, sunny side up, hard boiled), sausages, pancake/french toast (alternates daily), bacon/ham (alternates daily), bread, butter/marmalade/spread, cornflakes/koko krunch and milk, brewed coffee, tea, juice, water (had a sweet taste to it, maybe because of the dispenser), fresh fruits.

They have a small lobby and restaurant, so it can get crowded.

I will definitely book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for adjoining rooms if you're travelling in a group.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I knew about this hotel because each time I stay at Ibis Bencoolen (which is across the street), I would see that little restaurant called Lemon 3 Thai. That restaurant is part of Summer View Hotel.

I was called in as a last-minute speaker to an event and Ibis was full. So, I braved myself to book into this hotel. As I arrived at the door, there was a TripAdvisor sticker there. It was asking for a review and here I am doing the review after a night stay.

Overall, I would give it a 2 1/2 star if there was such a rating, rather that the 3 I am rating now. It was an average hotel, nothing fancy. I believe it was a hotel from the 70s era, and the room decor looked like so. It is probably better looking than those Hotel 81s across Singapore. It's clean, no-frills with fridge, 32" LCD TV, etc.

The bathroom amenities were enough, but there little hot water when I showered. I had to ensure the bone-chilling cold water in the morning and the room was so cold (even after I turned off the A/C).

The main gripe was the room had this old, stale smell. The room wasn't well airated. The friendly housekeeping who brought the iron/iron-board to me said that it was probably the carpet or the A/C or a combo of both. There was lighted, ultraviolent florescent light thingy on the floor the moment I came in to the room. I believe this was to ionize the air/atmosphere of the room.

The staff was friendly manned by senior citizens. They are probably long-time employees but they are very nice people. Very down to earth people ... except for the young reception guy on-duty. He had some kind of attitude that wasn't very welcoming. Not so friendly and I thought that was a turn-off especially when I arrived in Singapore quite late and tired.

That's all I have for this hotel. I don't mind staying here again if my choices are limited. The hotel is in Bugis, which I am quite familiar with. It is one MRT station away from City Hall MRT and I have always liked Bugis because of its location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our family of 5 (two rooms) spent 4 nights here after we were booked into it by Thomas Cook/Red Apple as part of a customized package.

The Good

1. Polite and courteous staff who are helpful (if you ask). A couple of them are quite cheerful/
2. Clean and neat rooms (incl Bathrooms) which are cleaned regularly. Rooms are big enough to fit in an extra cot
3. Insulated from outdoor noise (even though it is on a main road)
4. Close to a 7-11 store and a bus stop. 5 mins from Bencoolen/OG shopping area.

The Not So Good

1. Smallish reception area can get crowded.
2. The rooms can smell a little damp if the AC has not been switched on before you move into them.
3. Not too many variations in the Breakfast menu (only continental) - No major complaints though as we were vegetarians (who also eat egg)
4. A good 20 minute walk to Little India - very critical for us as that was the only place we could get Indian vegetarian food. Given the distance, we had to make do with a very reasonably priced Chinese Vegetarian restaurant a few minutes away at the Fortune Center, on a couple of occasions.
5. Limited number of English channels on TV - should not matter so much considering we came here to do sightseeing and not watch TV.
6.Bathroom doors can be a challenge for kids especially if they lock themselves inside. Please check them out before allowing your kids to lock them
7. Do not expect any assistance in moving luggage to your room - there is a concierge, though. The reception staff mainly takes care of check-ins.

The Bad

1. We stayed on the 3rd floor and both didn't have much of a view - one was next to a water tank and another over looked some apartments.

Room Tip: Avoid room 312 if you can. It is next to a water tank.
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were only staying a couple of nights, on the way back from Australia. Firstly, it could do with a serious renovation, the lobby (if you can call it that..), doesn't really look inviting. The rooms are very basic, and small. The Air con was broken,(i say broken, it was stuck on wind factor 50)The place, in fairness was clean, staff were very friendly, especially the guy on the front desk (mel or mal),really helpful, and nothing was too much trouble for him.
The breakfast was rubbish. no more needs to be said.
If you're only going to Singapore during transit like we did, want to go sightseeing and thinking that you'll never see the place again, it's OK, just to lay your head, because you're not spending any time in there. If you're going for a nice relaxing time, this definitely isn't the hotel for you.

Best thing i can say... It a large basic B & B. nothing more

Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Smallish dowdy rooms, one TV channel in English and that was Asian News. Dodgy electronics. The breakfast buffet was mediocre, as were the other meals. No public areas to speak of. There are many better choices. The hotel is, thought, right in the middle of things in Singapore.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

A friend and I stayed in the Summer View Hotel for 2 nights while holidaying in Singapore.

Positives:
- location is not bad
- free wifi
- bathroom and bed were clean although bathroom was a bit worn
- our room faced the road and I worried that it would be noisy but actually it wasn't bad at all
- staff were friendly
- reasonable price for Singapore

Negatives:
- a bit dated and could probably use a renovation
- whenever we entered the room after a day out there was a strange smell. I'm not sure whether it was the cleaning products, old furniture or something else
- the air con appeared to be always set at the same temperature and at full blast

We didn't try the breakfast so I can't comment on it. As a relatively cheaper option in Singapore and its good location the hotel was what we expected but we probably won't stay at it again.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Summer View Hotel? Share your experiences!