“OK hotel in a great location” 3 of 5 stars

SG50 Pay 2 Stay 3
Ranked #60 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“OK hotel in a great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Hotel staff were great, very helpful and I never encountered anything other than great service. Breakfast was ok, not the same standard as I have had elsewhere but certainly more than enough for my rumbly tummy.

Rooms in the hotel are on the small side but they seemed to be kept clean. Hotel foyer is dated but I don't make a habit of hanging around the foyer.

Location is great, close to everything in Orchard Road with lots of choice for eating and drinking close by. If you are a shopper then this is a great spot!

I think the hotel is a little pricey for what you get however I would (and probably will) stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear John G,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us, I am pleased to read that you were comfortable and felt well-taken care of by my team.

Your feedback is much appreciated and you will be glad to know that our hotel will be undergoing a facelift with refurbishment works in phases to various areas within the premise to deliver a better stay experience with us. My team and I are delighted that you will be staying with us again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Peter Webster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Renton, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I need to preface this by stating that I previously stayed at the Singapore Hilton on Orchard Road for an entire month several years ago. And at the end of that visit I couldn't praise it enough. The service, the food, the atmosphere in the lounge, the staff in the gym, it was all over the top fantastic. Every wish was granted, every whim indulged.

So imagine my chagrin when I came back in March 2014 to find that things had...well...changed. It wasn't that everything was dreadful, it was just such a step down from what they had trained me to expect that I was really shocked.

From the porter in the lobby who was somewhat rude when I inquired about an expected taxi, to the misunderstood requirement for a suit to be pressed for wearing the next morning, to the lackluster cleaning of my room (one day they put in new toiletries, the next day no, one day they put in nothing but lotion, but no shampoo, etc.) It was just all off.

But the really big disappointment came when I ordered room service one evening. The relatively simple cobb salad and tiramisu for dessert. The cobb salad came with 4 strips of bacon, clearly left over from the morning meal, that hadn't even been chopped up. Those 4 strips of bacon were just laying atop some wilted greens like dried up wrinkled snakes. The avocado was utterly unripe. The italian dressing I requested was instead an unappealing greasy vinagrette without flavor of any kind. And the greens were old and wilted. The chicken, what there was of it, was about 4 or 5 small chunks at the bottom of the bowl.

The tiramisu was awful. It was served, attractively, in an oversized martini glass. But it must have been made a long time before, because once you tried eating it the separated, bitter, brown liquid oozing at the bottom of the glass made it inedible.

It does not seem possible that a simple meal like a cobb salad and tiramisu would be so hard to do adequately. But it was really just so disappointing.

I came away from that stay at the Hilton thinking that the next time I visit Singapore, I'm going to check out the Marriott or Grand Hyatt - both comparable price-wise and I think maybe they are trying a little harder to live up to Singapore's reputation of being the customer service capital of Asia. Because I really didn't feel that the Hilton is trying all that hard anymore.

And it made me sad.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Punkeelarousse,

I deeply regret that your recent stay with us was disappointing. Thank you for being honest and frank with your review. I wish to assure you that what you experienced is not typical of the quality Hilton hospitality experience which my team and I endeavour to deliver to our guests.

Your feedback is important to us and I have discussed your points at length with my team for necessary corrective actions to improve on our service delivery and in-room dining experience. You will be glad to know that refurbishment plans to various premises within the hotel is part of our plan this year to better deliver refreshed and quality experiences to our guests.

Whilst you have indicated otherwise, we hope for another opportunity to be of service to you and have taken the liberty to keep your records with us to ensure your comfort and well-being should you stay with us again on your next return to Singapore. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write in your feedback to us.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Great hotel with easy reach of all of Singapores great experiences. If you want piece and quiet as for a room that does not overlook Orchard Road. Other wise it was a great place to stay, friendly and help full staff. If you need to travel somewhere by taxi - book through the desk, otherwise you may have to wait quite a while

Dear Andrew P K,

Thank you for your kind review of Hilton Singapore, we are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us. We appreciate your positive feedback and hope to see you again should you return to Singapore in the future.

Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Stayed for 10 nights at Hilton Singapore. Location is excellent if you want to stay in Orchard Road. Easy access to MRT, Food Courts and malls. I really appreciated the service recovery after an initial poor room assignment. Kudos to Jacy, the 19th/F Floor Manager for having great customer service skills.

Dear Johann Hunter M,

It was our pleasure to be of service to you during your 10 nights stay with us and I am delighted to know that you were satisfied with the team's service.

Thank you for your kind compliments of my team member, Jacy. She has received your kind mention of her service and is pleased that you felt well-taken care of during your stay. Together with the rest of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I have been a Diamond HH member for about 6 months now, and I am writing this review from that perspective, and to re-emphasise the difference between the 2 Hilton group hotels in Singapore: Hilton at Orchard Road and the Conrad at Suntec.

I have unofficially tested what I am writing with Hilton staff and whilst they say they canot endorse it, agree that they cannot deny it either. They say somethings are best kept quiet, in the hope irregular guests choose them instead. I am a very regular guest at both Hilton and the Conrad (at least once a month, sometimes, weekly). Here is the upshot:

1) The standard rooms and bathrooms at the Hilton are much smaller than at the Conrad. The bathroom is about half the size and at the Hilton, there is only a combined bathtub & very low powered shower. The Conrad has a separate, power shower and a bathtub.

2) The room decor and quality at the Conrad is "luxury" whilst the Hilton offers standard rooms.

3) The Hilton has very few suites and in about 5 stays have never been upgraded to a Suite (which is done on availability for Diamond members). At the Conrad, I got upgraded in 3 out of 5 times.

4) There is an all day and evening free flow of house-pouring liquor at the Conrad whilst at the Hilton, this is only during the 2 1/2 cocktail hours in the evening. The Conrad has at about 3-4 each of the red and white wines whilst the Hilton has 1 of each.

5) Today, I paid S$390 for a room at the Conrad, upgraded free of charge to a Suite, having checked out from the Hilton, which offered a normal room for today at S$490. The staff at the Hilton smiled sheepishly when told this and wished me well but were unable to match the confirmed Conrad booking. They have good staff but strange pricing, and they said they hope guests never find this out.

So, know the above, and choose wisely.

Room Tip: Check on the room before booking.
Dear KT785,

Thank you for sharing your valuable insights - as always, we value your loyalty as a Hilton HHonors Diamond member and your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am sorry to read that certain aspects of the hotel fell below your expectations, though we appreciate your understanding that suite upgrades for our Diamond members are subject to availability at the time of check-in. Your feedback is important to us and I wish to assure you that the comfort and well-being of our guests are paramount. Please be informed that my team will look into these less than satisfactory points for corrective actions.

Since the last quarter of 2013, we have been carrying out upgrading works to our rooms and facilities as our on-going efforts and you will be glad to know that Hilton Singapore will be undergoing a facelift in various premises within the hotel to deliver refreshed, quality experiences that reflect the high Hilton standards.

Once again, Thank you for your valuable feedback and we sincerely hope to continue welcoming you back whenever you visit Singapore.

Porvoo, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

If you want to do shopping on Orchard Road this is a good choice located next to the shops. Underground station is just a minute away and from there you can go everywhere. The hotel is nice and clean , typical Hilton, not much to complain , maybe a little excpensive but everything is in Singapore. No Wifi in the room was a dissapointment but overall a nice stay.

Room Tip: Room on the backside is better so you wont be disturbed by traffic noices.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Mats N,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your recent Hilton Singapore experience.

We appreciate your kind feedback of the hotel. With regards to our WiFi, while we do offer complimentary access in the hotel's public areas, you may wish to know that our Executive Room packages include complimentary WiFi, daily breakfast and access to our newly renovated Executive Lounge.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you with us again when you are next in Singapore.

woodruff, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is a great hotel in a great location. Close to many fine dining options, shopping and nightlife. The hotel staff, rooms and amenities were top notch, as one would expect from the Hilton name. I look forward to my next stay at this location, or Hiltons other property, the Conrad, while in Singapore during my next b visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Dear Michael P,

Thank you for your positive feedback from your recent stay with us, it is always a pleasure when our guests enjoy their experiences with us. Do stay with us again on your next visit to Singapore, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back with a refreshed Hilton Singapore experience.

Peter Webster

Been to Hilton Singapore? Share your experiences!