“Has it had its day?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 301 Hotels in Singapore
australia
“Has it had its day?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

It’s about the staff : from the guys at the front to the reception staff to the housekeeping staff, to the people who work in the restaurants and business lounge : good people, warm, welcoming and professional. But the hotel has its limitations.

The hotel is tired and I don’t think that anyone is really interested in upgrading it.

Example : last august we made a point of mentioning something about a particular room – in fact, it was a suite. The representative of the hotel said that in all the bathrooms in the suites there was a seat that came down from the wall : this was important for us! When I told this person that there was no seat in the shower, he almost scoffed and insisted on coming to the room to look because he said “ all the showers have this facility” and he was quite shocked when he arrived and the seat was not there. The other suites have it.

We arrived here in March and the same suite was assigned to us - they hadn’t fixed it! Unbelievable – it is just a small fold out seat from the wall. Given that none of the rooms at the Hilton Singapore have a bathroom that is suitable for people with physical disabilities – i.e. they are all showers in baths – one would think that the suites would have the minimum of accessibility. I note that a lot of people are saying that they have been coming here for years and I can see clearly the age of the returning guests in the executive lounge, and this is where Hilton Singapore is going to miss out. These same people write glowing reviews, but wait until the day they are a bit older and they slip in the shower, or they need a bar in the bathroom (a bar by toilet even in the suites would make a difference – something so simple, it is flabbergasting that either the management and/or decision makers are so insensitive) – the clientele that the Hilton Singapore is relying on will gradually drift away and the younger generation is not going to stay at Hilton Singapore because they want a more modern hotel. This is an old fashioned hotel, but they don’t seem to understand that older people require some secure facilities to make their stay more enjoyable!

Just some basic common sense and attention to detail will keep the older clients returning as they age because the Singapore Hilton really has a nice feel about it.

I have a daughter who has a physical disability – so she is not older, but because of this I am always on the lookout. As I age, I am not exactly keen on showers in/over baths – easy to slip and fall.

Furthermore, we mentioned to Singapore Hilton about this twice last year : the sensors on their lifts are very slow and, in fact, can be quite useless. I did not write a trip review because I thought they would fix it. But, they haven’t. My daughter is in a wheelchair and last year she wheeled into the lift and as I came in after her, the lift doors started closing so I put my arm out – the lift doors closed on my hand. The lift doors did not open.

HILTON SINGPORE : PLEASE TAKE NOTE AS WE HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED THIS TO SOMEONE : your open and close door buttons are at the top of the panel and so is your EMERGENCY BUTTON : I would imagine that this is something fairly easy to fix.

Back to the day : As she watched my hand and fingers turning purple, then blue, she managed to get out of her wheelchair (not an easy feat) and reach the button to open the lift door : warning, these buttons are located at the top of the button panel. This didn’t work at all, so she managed again to lift herself, because she was very worried for my hand, and was about to press the emergency button when someone from the Hilton Team stepped out of another lift and I called to her to sit down and not worry. This member of the Hilton team saw quite clearly that the doors would not open, but just as he was about to call maintenance they did open – thank goodness for my hand/fingers!!!

So, I’d just like to say : this was last year NOT IN AUGUST, but in June last year and in March 2013 I still see that the panel hasn’t changed. So anyone with a disability etc, will STILL have difficulty reaching the open lift door button or the emergency button. I DID point it out to Hilton staff. I was reminded because my daughter had a problem with the doors in the lift tonight which has prompted me to write this review : the sensors are obviously still not working correctly. She was helped by a nice member of housekeeping who also had difficulty with the lift doors.

As nice as the majority of staff are at Hilton Singapore, I think this is the last time for us which is a shame.

Great location, really nice staff (which I have to say is important, and it is one of the things that makes me a bit sad that I really have to consider going somewhere else because of safety issues etc) - if you are booking a suite, be aware that amenities are not any more than a bowl of apples in your room, but Hilton Melbourne was the same, so maybe that is a Hilton thing!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bodegraven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

All is fine in the Hilton Singapore.
Just the one question is why pay for WIFI ?
At the checkin I was suggested to go to the lobby area for free WIFI.
But I do get free electricity, water, airco and a toilet in my room and don´t have to go to the lobby for that. WIFI nowadays is an equally elementary traveller´s need and supposed to be free like in many other (much cheaper) hotels, McDonalds, StarBucks and the like.
When is Hilton (not just Singapore, many places) finally stopping this policy of milking out the customer? Please go back to hospitality marketing basics. Customer needs is what it´s all about................

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed 3d 2n in this hilton hotel. From beginning we checked in everything very smooth.
Our room nice, not big but not too small. they provided fruits near the lift, first day orange second day green apple.
reception very nice and professional and keep smile

Room Tip: This hotel in orchard road, buy Ezlink to use MRT instead of use taxi
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We holidayed in South East Asia using Singapore as our base. On the way in we stayed at The Fullerton and on the way out The Hilton(to get a feel for different hotels). We were very underwhelmed by out experience at The Hilton. There really wasn't anything noteworthy other than the location. Room was small, bathroom was small, lobby area small but we half-expected that given that it is on Orchard Road, the prime shopping district in Singapore. However we expected the service to be much better given that it is the one factor that is within the hotel management's control. We had an early flight to catch and had asked for a car to be booked for early hours the next morning. We were even prepared to pay for a hotel car for the convenience. However, there was none! The hotel hasn't got it's own fleet of cars and we were simply told to flag down a taxi the next morning. This might not have been a problem usually, but as in our case, it was 6am on a Sunday morning. Needless to say, we had difficulties getting any taxis to stop and it caused unnecessary stress with 2 young children and our many bags in tow. The concierge ordered a taxi and when it came, we had another incident as another guest who been waiting claimed the taxi as his and it wasn't pleasant for all concerned.
In summary, unless you're planning on a shop-till-you-drop expedition, stay clear. Pay a bit more and head to The Fullerton. Lots of bars and restaurants and it's a nice stroll along Clark Quay.

• Stayed February 2013
Fishersville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

What can I say? The staff is so well trained........always a smile and wonderful manners! I am a customer service person and it is at it's best here at the Hilton. It is an older hotel but well maintained, clean, convenient and near shopping. Having lived in Singapore 20 years ago, this is a yearly return trip and it's like coming home. It only gets better each year. If you have never been to Singapore, you are missing a wonderful place, the best food in the world and friendly service beyond compare!

Room Tip: We like the front of the hotel overlooking Orchard Road. Any room for us is fine!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brasschaat, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Since 10 years about, when I come to,Singapore I will stay at the Hilton Orchard Rd, good Pool, Gym, restaurant and very close to a good shopping area....
Very nice hotel indeed,
Well located, all facilities..
All staff is quite service minded, if you have a problem they will sove it ,!
I recommend,
Anthony Durot

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSingapore, General Manager at Hilton Singapore, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Durot,

It is our pleasure to be your home away from home!

Your continued patronage is important to us and we are pleased that you have felt well-looked after for all these years. Thank you for your kind recommendation, we continue to be at your service and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Yours sincerely,
Alain Mahillon
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The service and rooms there second to none . We were really impressed with the staff who seemed genuinley friendly and always so polite ans willing to help . the location is great , lots of very nice restaurants nearby , and great shopping . Our room was well appointed , very nice ensuite , we reccomend highly

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Singapore? Share your experiences!