“Not for Business Stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #264 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Columbus, Ohio
“Not for Business Stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed a week for a business conference and this hotel is not for customers who are in Singapore for business.

The people are very nice but my room was dirty and not really equipped for internet access or phone calls. My access was spotty and my calls dropped several times.

The hotel is right accross from the university and students were out partying all night. The floor that I stayed on was also party central.

I recommend you find somewhere else to stay if you're in town on business.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at! I can't believe that such a crappy hotel exists in Singapore! It was part of the tour package that we availed of.

There was only one tiny elevator for the whole hotel. The hallways had a musty smell and were narrow. You could hear the people walking in the hallway from inside your room. My husband and I stayed in one room while my sister and father were in another room. The room was small. The mattresses were in dire need of replacement, my husband's back ached because of the sagging mattress. The airconditioner in our room was pretty useless, it hardly cooled the room while the one in my sister's room was leaking water inside her room. It was hard to get a good night's sleep because it was hot inside the room! The rooms need to be renovated. They looked old and didn't feel clean. Bathroom toiletries were cheap.

Buffet breakfast had a crappy selection. Food was bland.

We stayed for 3 nights and dreaded going back to Oxford Hotel at the end of the day. Staying at this hotel made us feel poor and pathetic. If you love yourself and value your sanity, stay away from Oxford Hotel at all costs! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone not even to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: If you want to get a good room, don't book at Oxford Hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Las Pinas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was on a budget and needed a room for a couple of nights. This hotel felt like a dorm. Small cramped rooms that could have used better cleaning. Good location but Go look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Olongapo, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

oxford hotel is like a 2 star hotel charging like a 3 star hotel. some of the staff are commodious, but other are not. our room is badly cut. were sleeping in this narrow space were the bathroom doors looked like some storage closet or the doors to the TARDIS. also the locks on the bathroom doors did not lock. it's not broken just an example of bad engineering. that place is not near everything. we had to walk afar to find a good eating place. the only thing i love is the vending machine on every floor.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Nagpur, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Oxford hotel is situated in a the center of this city state. This is a very reasonable place to stay while in Singapore. The breakfast which was inclusive with the room was not to my liking otherwise the rooms were quite neat and clean. This is a small hotel but for business and budget travelers who do not want to spend much time in the hotel this is a great place. Going for a conference to Singapore ? check this place for discounts. Very close to the SunTec Center.

Room Tip: The top floor rooms are better.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I can see why some reviewers called this place a Nightmare.

I was in Singapore last week as an official for the Mettle Games, this was the official hotel that the organizer arranged for the athletes & officials.

The location as other reviewers here mentioned, is quite good.
However, as with the case with many hotels in Singapore, I felt it was rather over-priced for what you are actually getting.
First of all, the rooms are very run down & small. The carpet & bathroom had stains; the towels provided seemed very old & worn out.
When I checked in, I was given a room on the 2nd floor; at the end of the corridor of the 2nd floor was the hotel's office of some sort, so there was a lot of traffic outside my door.
My room's air-conditioner was not working, so the hotel manager (Mr. Jason) came by & checked it; he popped the cover off the A/C controller & tried to do some adjustments to the a/c but the A/C was still not working right. He then kindly offered to change my room. A few minutes later, I was showed another room on the 2nd floor, Room 201 - it had Air con, but no windows!! ( all '01' rooms in this hotel has NO window). I was then showed the same room I originally had, but on the 9th floor. The room was exactly the same but the AC seemed to work.
Some 'Security' issues i had with this hotel;-
- All the rooms i viewed & stayed in, the security chain/bar on the door of the rooms were broken. Looked like someone pushed the door in from the outside & broke the bar. On the doors itself, you can see the damage on the wooden doorframe & where the bars have been before & subsequently re-installed.
- The room I stayed in, had an in-room safe; but the electronic keypad-front plate of the safe was missing, looked like it was broken off... the safe was locked & it had a piece of paper with "out of order" stuck on it. When I called the front desk to ask if they had a safety deposit box, they asked me to use the safe in the room. When I informed them the safe was broken, they offered to change my room again, to guess where? My ORIGINAL room with NO AC.
-Breakfast was served every morning from 7 to 10 am or something. I checked it out but then opted to have breakfast nearby where there were many local restaurants & hawker stalls that had fresher food.
-Towels in the bathroom seemed worn out & dirty
-The shower in the bathroom had weak water pressure.
-Amenities like soap & shampoo were mediocre, bring your own if you stay here.
-Internet costs $$, for our package, it was included & I have to say the internet wifi connection was fast & strong signal, probably because the router was on the ceiling outside my room.
- Many Mainland China Tourists were staying on my floor & they are generally loud & the walls of the hotel rooms don't insulate sound quite well.

My own room was paid for by the organizer of the event, however for my team athletes, we paid for 2 rooms for them. I feel that for the price we paid, we could have got something much better, but this is Singapore after all.. I am just disappointed & surprised that a hotel of this standard exists in a city like Singapore.

I gave 2 dots for my rating because of the friendly & helpful hotel manager Mr Jason. Otherwise, I would give one dot.

Room Tip: Worth to pay a bit more & stay in a 'proper' hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

This hotel might be acceptable for budget travelers visiting Singapore for fun, but definitely not for anyone there on business. I was in town to attend a conference at the Suntec convention center and this was my experience: The internet signal in the hotel is very weak and I wasn't able to get online most of the time. The front desk wasn't able to give me an adapter for my laptop charger, saying they were all rented out. The safe in my room wasn't working, and it took three phone calls to the front desk before someone told me they wouldn't be able to get anyone to fix it until three days later.

The hotel staff are genuinely nice, but clueless. When I complained about the internet, I was told just to "keep trying." After my first few hours at the hotel I thought seriously about leaving and checking into another hotel, but decided it would be too much hassle trying to find another room during a busy week in Singapore.

Wouldn't recommend this hotel. Singapore is very expensive but it's worth it to pay an extra $100 to stay in a place where things generally work.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Oxford Hotel? Share your experiences!