“Service as great as the price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 1929

You added Hotel 1929 to your Saves list
Hotel 1929
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Keong Saik Road, Singapore 089154, Singapore (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #113 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
NYC
“Service as great as the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Gotta give a shout-out to the fantastic team at Hotel 1929. They go above and beyond to turn a budget-priced (for Singapore) hotel into a luxury experience. I've stayed in many hotels in my time, and something always seems to go wrong during the stay. During our time at Hotel 1929, we had trouble with the safe in the room as well as the tv. The staff attended to these problems quickly and effectively, minimizing the inconvenience. I could actually list several ways in which Hotel 1929 employees went above and beyond for us. Suffice it to say, they made our stay in Singapore stress-free.

The room we stayed in was not all that small (then again, I come from NYC, where "studio apartment" is code for "cubbyhole"). We were easily able to store our large suitcases underneath the bed. WiFi is free and fast, and we had no problems accessing the internet during the trip.

Downsides? Housekeeping was pretty sparing with the bath gel. I had to use less than usual so that there would be some left over for my wife's shower. Also, our key cards kept breaking, and the staff insisted that both cards had to be fixed at the same time. These were minor inconveniences.

To sum up, I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Singapore.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
UnlistedCollection, Guest Services Executive at Hotel 1929, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Dear Benjamin.K,

Warm hellos from the team here at Hotel 1929! Thank you for your generous compliments. We are pleased to be known that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly appreciate your feedback on the service that you had experienced with us. We've conveyed your note to our housekeeping team as well and hope to have you back with us once again so we may be of service to you.

Hotel 1929

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

To put our stay into context, we used our flight change in Singapore (on route to Bali) as an opportunity to take a couple of days to explore this amazing city. Despite only staying in the hotel for one night, we were very impressed.

As mentioned in some of the other reviews, the rooms in Hotel 1929 are quite small, but suprisingly accomadating. Our room was clean and provided ample facilities (Air-Con,Safe,Flat Screen TV, i Pod dock) plus a neat little ensuite shower/toilet room.

However the most endearing quality of Hotel 1929 was the staff. From the moment we checked in, the reception desk went out of there way to enusre that we were comfortable with the location of the hotel in relation to the major tourists spots and knowing that we had limited time, reccomended we take the city tour bus (Well worth doing).

The Hotel has a great location. Situated on the frindge of Chinatown, guests are a walk or short tube ride away from destinations such as Raffles Place, City Hall or Little India, not to mention a stones throw from the bustle of Smith Street where you can enjoy the lively atmosphere over a cold beer and some delicious freshly cooked seafood (Chilli Crab - A must have!). The pick up stop for the city tour bus is just around the corner (opposite the peoples theatre) and to get specific destinations, you are 5 minutes from the Outram Park tube station.

Breakfast was basic and ranged from traditional asian dishes to and American style breakfasts (Eggs/Bacon/Toast etc). Perfect, if you need some decent food to set you up for a busy day of exploring or are heading back to the airport to catch your connecting flight.

Unfortionately there are some negatives about the Hotel. The walls are noticeably thin which means that sleeping can be difficult if there is music playing at night in the local bars.

In summary, we had a short time in Singapore and were primarily looking for somewhere to stay that was comfortable and clean with good facilities. Hotel 1929 satisfied this criteria and more, however if you are traveling with a family or staying for a longer period of time, then this hotel might not be as appropriate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear MCM85,
Greetings from Hotel 1929! The team appreciates your compliments. We would like to apologise for the noise that is evident in the hallways as the hotel is housed in a conservations building. However, we have configured our rooms to the best of comfort for our guests.
Nontheless, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back again soon!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is the smallest hotel room I've stayed in for several years - the bed is 6 feet and two inches long, sandwiched between window and the wall of the adjacent room's bathroom, the shower is directly above the toilet, and the wardrobe is three coat-hangers on a rail above the end of the bed.

That said, it's not uncomfortable, although I'd resist recommending it to anyone taller than 6 feet for fear they'd get wedged in the bed and be incapable of checking out the next day. I did see a big guy in the lobby on the evening I checked in, and he seemed pretty cheerful, so perhaps there are some larger rooms. Perhaps.

You're not paying for a vast amount of space here; you're getting a good location, on the edge of Chinatown and a short walk into the middle of the city. It's great for me: a 15 minute saunter through Singapore to the office, less than 10 minutes from the MRT. The soundproofing is not that great - from the bed one can hear conversations in the corridor outside, and the door allows a bit of light in from outside as well, but that didn't prevent me from sleeping.

The staff are very friendly; I've stayed in a few places in Singapore before that didn't feel very welcoming, but the lady on the front-desk was very helpful in explaining the area to me, and at breakfast the staff were very attentive, bringing my attention to all the food on offer (and bringing food over to my table without me even having to ask). Breakfast itself isn't too remarkable; a combination of toast, cereal, and eggs any way you like them, but it's all fresh and clean.

Free wi-fi is something of a bonus, and it gives a good, fast connection to the outside world. The last thing you want when sat in a miniaturised room on your own on a business trip is to feel cut off from the outside world; I could happily talk on Skype without the connection breaking up, which is better than in many more expensive hotels I've stayed in.

The room also has an ipod dock, a wide screen TV (slightly larger than my laptop) and the world's smallest fridge which contains complimentary water. A little spartan, then, but it's clean and tidy and well-situated; just not the kind of place you're going to spend all your time inside when you could be enjoying the city.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
UnlistedCollection, Guest Services Executive at Hotel 1929, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear MrCushtie,

Greetings from Hotel 1929! The hotel is housed in a conservations building therefore space is indeed tight. However, we have designed and configured our rooms to maximise the use of available space, with all the modern conveniences to the best of comfort for our guests. We appreciate your feedback and kind compliments with regards to the service rendered. We also have another property just one street away, the New Majestic Hotel. The rooms are definitely bigger and we also have a pool and a gym to better accommodate your needs. We look forward to having you back with us so we may be of service to you once again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

As other reviewers note, the rooms are small but they have all you need. It is clear the owners though very well how to maximize the use of space.

Since Singapore has its fair share of glass buildings, I found this a more interesting place than other parts of town. There is a beautifully decorated temple at the end of the street, for example.

My bed was great and the room was very clean.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
UnlistedCollection, Guest Services Executive at Hotel 1929, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear juantwomany,

Greetings from Hotel 1929! Thank you for your feedback. Hotel 1929 is blessed to be located in one of the most vibrant and dynamic districts in Singapore, Chinatown. We also have other sister properties, the New Majestic Hotel just one street away in Bukit Pasoh, Chinatown and Wanderlust located at the very colourful Little India.

We're glad that you have enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is my first time to stay at a boutique hotel in Singapore and I now regret not having done it sooner. In my opinion, the Chinatown location of the hotel is its strongest asset. The nicely preserved, historic structures (called shophouses by the locals) sorrounding this quaint property is a dramatic departure from the steel and glass buildings that litter this island- nation. Staying at this hotel will surely add a hint of nostalgia to anyone's itinerary. The Outram Park MRT Station is a quick 5 minutes walk away should one prefer to explore upscale shopping areas like Marina Bay or Orchard Road.

The boutique property itself is quite small and so are the rooms. Upon entering the room assigned to me, I was quite thankful to be a solo traveller because it was indeed quite small. I cannot imagine how 2 adults with luggages can fit comfortably inside the room! But what the hotel lacks in size and amenities, it more than makes up for in the efficient design of the rooms, friendly service from all the staff, and a homey atmosphere that invites one to relax ater a tiring day of exploring this bustling city . The comfortable bed, shower with good water pressure and free in-room wifi will likewise please most travellers. Lastly, the inclusive breakfast was simple but filling.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Greetings from the team at Hotel 1929! We value your kind feedback and are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and what the surrounding have to offer.

Formerly a shop house and a conservations building constructed in 1929, size and space is indeed a constraint. However we have designed it to the best of our abilities to accommodate the basic needs of a modern traveller. One such instance is the raised bed platform to allow luggages to be stored underneath it.

With that, we hope to welcome you back in the near future and be of service to you once again.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The check-in experience was great. Everyone smiles and ready to help me.

I was upgraded to a corner room. It was very small, but comfortable and cozy. I had to rearrange some items in order to put down my laptop, backpack, etc.

Noise from the corridor can be a bit loud. The doors slam quite loudly.

Other than that I really enjoyed it here and I would go back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Jbinfl,

Greetings from Hotel 1929! The team appreciates your compliments and would like to apologise for the noise that is evident in the hallways. As the building is preserved from years ago, we have configured our rooms to the best of comfort for our guests.
We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay nonetheless and hope to see you again soon!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

What a fantastic hotel. I was made to feel welcome from the moment I arrived, to the moment I regretfully had to go home! The staff were all incredibly polite, caring, and friendly; whilst always happy to do their best to help: whether that was booking taxis, or recommending places to go.

I stayed in a deluxe room on my own for the 3 weeks while I was there, and never had any issues with the size of the room or privacy. My room was left spotless after being cleaned every day. In addition I was able to make use of the laundry services, for my work shirts and gym kit, which was quick and efficient (about 2 days), with my clothes being neatly ironed and placed in my room once finished.

I can't forget to mention the fantastic restaurant that is also in the hotel. I ate there on two occasions during my stay, and had fantastic, delicious meals both times! A definite must!

All in all I felt like I was part of a family whilst I stayed at the hotel. I grew very fond of all the staff and was sad to leave by the end. Everything about the hotel was fantastic, and I would strongly recommend people stay there.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Deluxe room which was plenty of space for 1 or 2 people.