“Fabulous hotel let down by sloppy housekeeping.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #31 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel let down by sloppy housekeeping.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a wonderful short stay in Singapore and a lot of that is because of our fantastic stay in the Grand Hyatt. We had interconnecting rooms that overlooked the pool and I have to say that the rooms were of a fabulous size with enormous bathrooms! I loved the fact that I could access my wardrobe from the room as well as the bathroom although that's not so great when you think you've locked yourself in the bathroom for a relaxing soak in the bath and a child then gets in through the wardrobe!! Haha! No chance of any me-time :-))

The hotel would have got five stars from me if it wasn't for the terrible state of the rooms when we arrived. There was a thick layer of dust over everything in both rooms! I told the gentleman at guest services that evening but when we came back from our day out the next day, the dust was still there. Finally, when housekeeping came for evening turndown, I managed to use sign language to show them the dust. They promptly cleaned all the surfaces but I shouldn't have to do that in a hotel of Grand Hyatt's standard.

The pool is fantastic and was well used by the family. In fact, it was difficult to get the kids out of the water! The food by the pool is also excellent and highly recommended.

One of the best things about this hotel is the enormous breakfast! We've travelled a lot and the Grand Hyatt wins our award for best hotel breakfast. The variety is amazing and the service is prompt and friendly.

In terms of location, if you're a shopper, you can't beat it! Large malls are just a short walk from the hotel. We spent two days on Sentosa and I was suprised at how reasonable the taxis were. It cost us roughly $10 and only 15 minutes to get there so you don't need to stay on the Island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
grandhyattsingapore, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Singapore, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear JinxBunny,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Singapore!

Thank you for posting a review about your stay with us. Whilst we are happy to note that you have had a pleasant time, we regret to note your mention about the level of cleanliness in your assigned room upon arrival. Please rest assured that this matter has been addressed with the team to avoid a reoccurring situation.

Meantime, we look forward to your return soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Akashi, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Not only the location is fantastic because its just at Scotts Road and beside Orchard, but the room was very nice. The bed was so soft and comfortable that I had to call the manager to ask when comforters they are using.

Then came the breakfast and wow was I really impressed. They had a huge selection from western to local breakfast and it is all divided very nicely (Chinese, Western, Malay and Indian). The fruit juices was very nice and fresh too. It was a good thing, we went in early as people were starting to queue outside the restaurant waiting for a table.

The only set back I would say is the pool which was too crowded. Price of the hotel is quite high I would say but considering the location and the room and especially the breakfast, it was worth the experience.

Room Tip: This hotel is easy accessible to Orchard MRT. Car traffic can be quite bad in this area. I like goi...
Dear ajcph,

Thank you for the review about your experience at Grand Hyatt Singapore.

We are delighted that you have had a pleasant stay and we look forward to your continued support.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here a few times on business and found it's location relative to the hub of Orchard road was very convenient. The bar Brix downstairs was always busy, the poolside bar and restaurant did a great buffet dinner, and generally the rooms were modern and well-appointed. The back half of the hotel has had a more recent refurbishment, whereas the rooms at the front wing tend to be older. Overall was very satisfied.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
grandhyattsingapore, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Singapore, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Rafus,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Singapore!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your experience at our hotel.

We are pleased to read that you have found the location of our hotel very convenient and you were satisfied with the overall stay.

The team and I definitely look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our second time at this hotel.Stayed at Grand Hyatt on Scotts road for 3 nights with the family. We had two adjoining rooms. Spacious and family friendly. The only recommendation is perhaps a kids club. There is nowhere for the kids under age 3 to play or spend time when we return from shopping or sightseeing. The staff are very friendly and helpful, they are always smiling and welcoming eveytime we enter the reception. The breakfast buffet is lovely but the highlight has to be the peppercrab at the restaurant on the mezz level(forgot the name) by far the best peppercrab I've ever had!

Dear Madam B,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Singapore!

We are very delighted to note that your stay and dining experience with us has been pleasant. Thank you also for your suggestion about a Kids’ Club which will be reviewed by the Management team.

Meantime, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Tired from travel, we arrived and were warmly greeted and whisked to the desk, check in was almost completed by the time we got to the reception. The bed was very comfortable and room amenities very good. The gym and spa areas were terrific and I wished we had more time to spend there - we were only there for a day and I was sorry we had to leave but we had a late check out and could store our luggage. Well located for city and shopping. Good restaurants in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
grandhyattsingapore, Hotel Manager at Grand Hyatt Singapore, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear SAH123_10

Thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt Singapore as your preferred choice for your vacation and we are glad that you have enjoyed the stay. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again for another memorable hotel experience in the near future.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed at the same property 10 years ago and recall it had a definite wow feel. Maybe I'm 10 years older and stayed at too many hotels but I had this expectation of stepping into a luxury hotel which sadly it did not meet. The room is spacious and clean but lacked any special features and to me, seemed really standard.

I must have been given the most basic room in my category as it had no views (actually it was a view of an apartment block) and right below was the back of the hotel, the loading bay and garbage disposal. I think for a 2-3 night stay, this would have gone unnoticed but I stayed for a week and front desk could have paid attention to this by offering a better room. On the mornings I did not have to be out early, there was garbage disposal noise. It wasn't grating like drilling noise just unexpected from a five star hotel.

My colleague under the same corporate booking was upgraded to a junior suite and I was disappointed to say the least. I'm sure he had sweeping views as his lift was in another section of the hotel while mine was situated in the back, where the parking lot was. Was it random or because he is a man?

The service was pretty good and staff were attentive throughout, in particular when I was paying for my taxi and the attendant retrieved my bags while I was waiting for a receipt. He even opened the door on the other side to fetch another bag. That was paying attention! I also received a box of truffles on the first night with a hand written card which was nice.

On my floor (and I assume on every floor) there is a common lounge area and desk which I thought was a nice feature for informal meetings. The hotel is undergoing renovations and there was drilling and construction noise on the 5th floor where the pool and spa are located. I wasn't there for pleasure but leisure visitors would be disappointed if they were planning on spending time at the pool.

The one thing that was great about this hotel is the location, right in the center of action on Scott's and next to Orchard Road. Our office was just two blocks away and very conveniently accessed via underground walkways which was so appreciated as it rained throughout the week and heavily at times.

Our rate included internet (which should be standard anyway) and it was annoying that I had to continuously log on with room number and name. Since I was using numerous devices, I was subjected to this numerous times a day on my two laptops, iPhone, iPad and it got really tiring. I've been to hotels where you only need to log on once and you are connected during your stay. I just wish hotels would get this simple feature right. Every hotel guest wants internet and wants it conveniently. Why does it have to come with so much hassle?

Overall, it was average and it's shocking how much hotel prices have gone up in Singapore over the years. It was sad for me that the Grand Hyatt Singapore has become another cookie cutter hotel with the same standard furnishings and features you would find in any city hotel.

I would definitely recommend it for the location but that's about it. At this rate, you may get the colonial glamour or the Singapore feel at Goodwood Park, Fullerton or Pan Pacific.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front of the property. The lifts are near the reception area. A second set o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear canadahk,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Singapore!

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we certainly appreciate your sharing the constructive feedback with us. Rest assured that we take your feedback as a valuable learning lesson to improve upon current experience. I would like to also share with you that we are currently upgrading our Wi-Fi system by changing all routers to the latest technology and we will also have additional routers to ensure 100% coverage in the hotel. Your feedback on the pricing structure for our room rates has been shared with the Management team who will constantly strive to ensure that our prices remain competitive within similar class of a 5-star establishments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Santa Clara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We decided to spend 3 days/ 2 nights in Singapore during our trip to Vietnam earlier this year, with one night at the Marina Bay Sands and one night at the Hyatt. Both hotels exceeded our expectations and contributed greatly to our satisfaction of visiting Singapore. We were delighted with fresh cookies, fruits and a welcoming letter waiting for us in our room. The grand deluxe king was very spacious, modern, and well equipped. The bed was as comfy as it could be. The bathroom was well designed - it came with separate bathtub and shower stand, which was extremely powerful. My boyfriend also enjoyed the luxurious living area where he could relax and watch many fancy cars driving up and down the busy Scott road.

Since we were too excited to check out the famous street food of Singapore, we skipped the hotel dining options. However the restaurants and food looked great when we walked by the dining area to print out some tickets at the business centers (printing cost a small fee but tickets are free of charges). We also ran into a nice, impressive indoor waterfall just outside the afternoon tea area.

Grand Hyatt Singapore located in a convenient shopping area. Just to the right of the hotel, you could find cheap food courts and local shops. To the left are many, many retail stores that would guarantee an all day shopping trip. It costs $1.5 more to catch a taxi from the hotel lobby than the taxi stop just a minute walk to the right of the hotel, but you would avoid the usually big line of people.

As a platinum member, we were offered late check out at 2 p.m., which gave us a couple of hours extra to relax before our long flight back home.

We would not be hesitant to stay at the Hyatt if we ever visit Singapore again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Helen H,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Singapore!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Messages such as yours will only reinforce Grand Hyatt Singapore's team commitment to exceeding customer expectations. Your kind feedback is testimony of how well we have done in this respect. It would be my pleasure to share your encouraging comments with the team, which I am certain will further motivate them to strive for service excellence. We are most privileged to have your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hyatt Singapore in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Grand Hyatt Singapore? Share your experiences!