“Average” 3 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   76 Bras Basah Rd, Singapore 189558, Singapore   |
Ranked #85 of 292 hotels in Singapore
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in the old wing. Room was quite big but feels dated, particularly the bathroom (cracked bathtub, plastic shower curtain). We were on 7th floor overlooking the pool - could have been worse I suppose. Can't fault the service at all - efficient and the concierge staff particularly were helpful and friendly. Wifi only in the lobby (which has plenty of nice seating) was a bit of a disappointment considering how much you pay for a room. We arrived after a 13hr flight at 7am only to be told there were no rooms to check in to until 2pm. We hadnt slept on the flight so it was pretty crap. They did let us have a shower on the 4th floor where there is a changing room/shower - but you have to go to the pool on the 5th to get a towel first (would have been helpful if they had mentioned this...) The shower didnt run hot (and the one in the room it was near impossible to get a good temp that was neither boiling or freezing). We left our bags and went to a nearby mall where there was AC and tried not to fall asleep. Went back at midday and room was ready.
Breakfast the next day - we went at a little past ten and the buffet was just about to close so we ordered a cooked breakfast. The bacon was nearly black and hard - we suspect they just took it off the buffet they had just cleared, the poached egg tasted like vinegar. At $30 a plate it was certainly nothing to write home about.
The plus was that the room, although nothing flash, was very quiet and we slept without interruption. The hotel has a good location and seemed central to everything. We were keeping odd hours so it was nice to be somewhere big and busy where the bar is open till 1am, there are taxis outside the door all the time and you can get room service if you want it etc.
Not sure we got a 5 star experience out of it though. It doesnt surprise me that the reviews are so varied.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1,810 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Stayed for 3D2N . Feel a warm welcome from the attentive staff . Stayed at the premier wings . The room is very spacious , comfortable and clean . The complimentary WIFI connection very fast and it is very important for a business traveller like me . The breakfast was great too . The location of the hotel near to Raffles Hotel and Raffles City shopping mall .... and just walking distant to Bugis street and Marina Bay . The beautiful night view of Marina Sands , Singapore Flyer and Garden by the bay can clearly see from my room ... really awesome !!

Room Tip: Ask for high floor at premier wings .. the city view very nice especially at night
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Despite not in the habit of posting negative reviews of hotels, I am moved to write a review of the Carlton Hotel to warn visitors about what they might encounter.
I have last enjoyed staying at the Carlton Hotel 2 years ago and received a rude shock on this visit when I encountered not just one but 5 stinking pillows! The first four came with the room and when I asked for replacement, the two replacements included another smelly one. The bathroom was also very old and tired, plastic curtain smells too! I did enjoyed the included breakfast immensely and found it faultless.
The location of the hotel is what brings me back whenever I need to make a stopover in Singapore. It is within close proximity to shopping, MRT (for the direct line to airport) and food. However the recent experience with pillows and old bathroom will be hard to forgive and forget.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

5 star business hotel in the city area, near to mrt station, bugis shopping just 10 minutes walking, marina just 20 minutes. sleep very good with double pillows, super clean bathroom with bathtub facing to the bed. 15th floor is my room stayed with part of city view. front desk was simple friendly and professional staff, breakfast was good tasted and lot of variety food.
strongly recommend for who is looking for city area or for business.
looking for next stay there.

Room Tip: please email them for your request 3 or 4 days before arrival.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our stay at the Carlton hotel was great! All the staff are really professional, nice and attentive. The price was VERY good for the location, which put us right across from Raffles City shopping centre and near City Hall MRT station and 5 min walk to Bugis. The only thing that could use improvement is the room service menu. Maybe more authentic local food, but apart from that food was always delivered with a smile.

Room Tip: We asked for adjoining rooms with our friends we were traveling with and Carlton Hotel were able to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I am surprised at the last comments I read. I am usually the one who complains all the time. This time the room was ready when we arrived. Staff were helpful and we really enjoyed the location next to Chijmes and Raffles. The only problem we experienced was that the door seemed to slam all the time because of a draft in the corridor. I would recommend the manager checks room 1482. Overall a good experience.

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

5 star hotel... what an absolute joke! I originally booked in to the executive wing and made sure that I sent the hotel an email a few months in advance to request a king bed. When I arrived, my partner and I were told that we had a city view executive room with two single beds. When I explained this was not satisfactory, the reception changed the room to one with a king bed, however it would not have a city view (what we had paid for) as there were none available. This I accepted as I was tired after a 12 hour flight.

When the lift doors opened to the 'executive floor' my first impression was that it was an old smoking floor, it had a terrible and overpowering musty smell. But I was to learn that this was just the beginning...The room was horrendous! The furniture was dated, and I mean severely dated. The carpet had more stains on it than a brothel's used sheets, and had NEVER been vacuumed. It was covered in hair and dust and with further inspection, food was found in the corners! The bathroom was covered in mould! There was soap scum all over the shower and the previous guests pubic hair was easily seen covering the recess. There was urine on the toilet - I had seen enough!

I informed reception that this room was unacceptable and I would not be staying here! They promptly offered to move me to a another room...what a surprise, a city view room with king bed. The one I had originally paid for, but which my first rude receptionist had informed me they had none left of. Of course before the porter took my bags into the room, I did another inspection. The room was of the same standard, if not worse! There was mould EVERYWHERE! It smelt terrible and there was more hair in the room then on a barber shop floor! Demanding to see the duty manager I was met with snarly looks and attitude. The duty manager, although did sort out our issues by moving us to the 'premier wing' made me show him the rooms prior to doing this! Of course, what guest wouldn't be happy to do this at 11.45pm after a 12 hour flight...Not what I would expect of a five star hotel!

Not only will I NEVER stay in this filthy unfriendly hotel again, I will spread the word of its unhygienic and appalling state throughout every travel site I know in an attempt to save other travellers the same dismay.

If you want a good experience in Singapore, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!