“Amazing hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days as part of a city break before heading off to Bali.

We we greeted warmly by the concierge team and checked in quickly and efficiently by friendly staff. We only stayed on a room only basis, breakfast was quite expensive at 32usd a person.We got much cheaper breakfasts across the road in the raffles city shopping centre where there's many coffee shops, juice bars and restaurants.

Our room was amazing, really clean. We had a deluxe double. The highlight was that we could watch the tv in the main room from lieing the bath as there was a huge window and sound linked to the bathroom. The bed was comfy.
The only slight disappointment was the view, there wasn't one just of another high rise. For a deluxe double we'd have maybe expected a view over the city or the pool area.

We had drinks at the gravity bar one evening, great great service :)

The hotel is ideally situated for shopping, bars and restaurants. Chimes restaurants and bars are right opposite the hotel.

The original sightseeing bus also stops at hotel.

Overall we were very impressed. Slightly disappointed on our final day when we came back to the hotel at 2pm because I was really unwell with stomach cramps we sat in the large reception area and I had a lie down, we had already had to check out. At 3pm an hour later a female member of staff came and asked if I was ok, when I said I had stomach cramps and felt sick she pulled a face and walked off. 10 minutes later a male member of stuff came over and told me I couldn't lie on the sofas. I appreciate this at a hotel such as the Carlton. But a but more sympathy could helped, they could offered us a room or atleast asked if there was anything they could get us or better still turned a blind eye given I wa poorly.

Other than this all was amazing. We particularly rate the concierge guys putting us in and out of taxis. They were lovely and so helpful.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

One night stay for business. Professional front staff - in a robotic way rather than inviting. No smiles here.

The room in the new wing is generously sized and well equipped with a coffee machine using coffee pods at 3 bucks a pop but sure beats the cheap instant coffee found in most hotels. Squeaky clean and comfy with nice cityscape view. Free wifi which works very well.

The breakfast venue was frenetically busy with staff racing around on the verge of hysteria. You fetch your own coffee but its of good quality. The usual spread but bacon was truly awful - tasteless and perhaps post expiry.

For a 4 star hotel it's pretty good and without major surprises.

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a long term stay of a month in January. We've stayed in this hotel before and we liked the location and the price was reasonable.

When we first checked in, we were given an upgrade but the room was old. So we requested to change to one that has been renovated and newer. They accommodated our request and we moved the next day. The room is comfortable, laundry and cleaning service efficient. Breakfast was good as well. Gym was well equipped.

I really like the location of the hotel. It's central and near City Hall and Bras Basah mrt stations. So it's just a quick walk to whichever mrt line i wanted to take. Lots of food nearby at Raffles City and Chijmes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and me stayed there for a long weekend. The rooms are clean, the stuff is very friendly and helpfull. They have a swimming pool, not big but big enough. The gym has good equipment only there are no fans build in in the machines and the airco is not strong enough to keep you cool, so if you want to have a hard workout you will overheat very easily. The location is great, just opposit Raffles City and Chijmes with it's old beautifull church and a lot of restaurants around, just 10 minutes walking either way to the other nearest shopping malls. Orchard road is 15 minutes walking away and Marina Bay you will reach in 25 minutes walking.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Carlton previously in March 2009 and was happy with the standard of rooms and value for money, which is why we decided to stay there again in March of this year (2013).

We arrived an hour before the official check in time and was told that a Queen room, as requested, would not be available until 2.00pm. The check in guy tried to convince us to accept a twin room which was immediately available, and only after we advised that we were happy to wait for a queen room that one miraculously became available.
We went to the room on the 16th floor, only to find that the security lever on the inside had somehow slipped across and engaged when the clearner closed the door. We then had to wait in the corridore for 35 minutes whilst several staff successfully broke into the room

Our experience this time is that the rooms were a bit tired and at best worth a 3 star rating.
We chose the 'Superior Room' and whilst we realise that they were the lowest priced rooms, I think the Carlton needs to consult a dictionary regarding the meaning of the word 'Superior'.

Still, if you are looking for somewhere just to get you head down for a night or two and not looking for comfortable surrounds during an extended stay then a superior room may suit you.

However, with a plethora of hotels to choose from in Singapore, the Carlton will not be a consideration on our list next visit.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ok its not Ritz Carlton standarts, but close. This hotel is in the heart of Singapore and perfect location for first time visitors just like i was last month. The lobby is impresive and beautiful, rooms spacy and very confortable. Staff is very helpful with directions and the lobby bar service is great.
Just across the street is beautiful garden and mall and so is famemost The Raffels hotel and must for Singapore sling drink. The hotel is on main Orchid street where you can catch the hop on and off bus to tour this great city, when you have little time. This hotel is definetly great choice.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wanted to have a weekend staycation and went online to some research. Manage to shortlist 3 hotels and selected the most relevant and detailed reply hotel for my staycation. The reply comes with a detailed explanation and good comparison on the different type of rooms (in which I enquired).

Prior to my stay, I request for a room with good view via email and I am delighted that they managed to have special arrangement for me. They provide an upgrade for us and the room is spacious, with comfortable bed and good size bathtub. The view from the room is excellent and my fiancée loves it. Everything in the room is in Tip-Top condition for us. Cheers!

2 hours after I checked in, I received a called from the staff in which I have communicate via email to check with me whether I like the room and is everything going on good for me.

If anyone were to ask me which hotel in the city to recommend, I would definitely recommend Carlton Hotel. I am unsure is Carlton a 4-stars or 5-stars hotel, but in my mind, I would rate them at 5-stars. The reason is because the excellence service of both Mr Troy and Josephine makes me feel good and comfortable experience during my stay.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the premier wing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!