“Overstated Rating” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney, Australia
“Overstated Rating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Carlton previously in March 2009 and was happy with the standard of rooms and value for money, which is why we decided to stay there again in March of this year (2013).

We arrived an hour before the official check in time and was told that a Queen room, as requested, would not be available until 2.00pm. The check in guy tried to convince us to accept a twin room which was immediately available, and only after we advised that we were happy to wait for a queen room that one miraculously became available.
We went to the room on the 16th floor, only to find that the security lever on the inside had somehow slipped across and engaged when the clearner closed the door. We then had to wait in the corridore for 35 minutes whilst several staff successfully broke into the room

Our experience this time is that the rooms were a bit tired and at best worth a 3 star rating.
We chose the 'Superior Room' and whilst we realise that they were the lowest priced rooms, I think the Carlton needs to consult a dictionary regarding the meaning of the word 'Superior'.

Still, if you are looking for somewhere just to get you head down for a night or two and not looking for comfortable surrounds during an extended stay then a superior room may suit you.

However, with a plethora of hotels to choose from in Singapore, the Carlton will not be a consideration on our list next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ok its not Ritz Carlton standarts, but close. This hotel is in the heart of Singapore and perfect location for first time visitors just like i was last month. The lobby is impresive and beautiful, rooms spacy and very confortable. Staff is very helpful with directions and the lobby bar service is great.
Just across the street is beautiful garden and mall and so is famemost The Raffels hotel and must for Singapore sling drink. The hotel is on main Orchid street where you can catch the hop on and off bus to tour this great city, when you have little time. This hotel is definetly great choice.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wanted to have a weekend staycation and went online to some research. Manage to shortlist 3 hotels and selected the most relevant and detailed reply hotel for my staycation. The reply comes with a detailed explanation and good comparison on the different type of rooms (in which I enquired).

Prior to my stay, I request for a room with good view via email and I am delighted that they managed to have special arrangement for me. They provide an upgrade for us and the room is spacious, with comfortable bed and good size bathtub. The view from the room is excellent and my fiancée loves it. Everything in the room is in Tip-Top condition for us. Cheers!

2 hours after I checked in, I received a called from the staff in which I have communicate via email to check with me whether I like the room and is everything going on good for me.

If anyone were to ask me which hotel in the city to recommend, I would definitely recommend Carlton Hotel. I am unsure is Carlton a 4-stars or 5-stars hotel, but in my mind, I would rate them at 5-stars. The reason is because the excellence service of both Mr Troy and Josephine makes me feel good and comfortable experience during my stay.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the premier wing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on the way from London to Sydney and this was a great stopover.

You'll want to do Raffles, and this is the closest you can get without paying Raffles prices, and being so close means you can walk around when it is empty.

Over the road from the Carlton hotel are a lot of reasonably priced restaurants - opposite the entrance over the road behind the wall - for example Chinese, Japanese and even a Hog's Breath if you want to get acquainted with Oz.

Rooms are functional, clean & just as you would expect from a hotel like this. It's quiet & there is free wifi in the lobby.

It's close enough to walk to the Marina Bay area, so if you like shopping and boats on the top of hotels then take a trip there, again there are lots of restaurants in that area & the light show on the bay is free & entertaining.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Overall experience could be better if I haven't experienced some bad services of some receptionist handling complaints and the room that wasn't quite ready to accommodate a guest.

Location is great and perfect, right in the city center and withing short walking distance to the shopping mall and restaurants. Nearby the subway station to connect you to anywhere you would like to go in Singapore

Public Area: recently renovated with modern decoration, airy and spacious with grand lobby however the seating could be rather limited as being occupied by guests using free wifi that is only available in the lobby area for the main building

Guestroom in main building: spacious although with very minor renovation unlike the modern lobby and restaurant. Bedding is comfy with plenty of electric socket for modern living with many gadgets.

! Beware of noisy air-conditioner, on the first night the air keeps making noises and by 3pm it is also crying (leak of waters from the ceiling filling up half of the bin we put underneath the leaking - I believe from the old air-conditioner) Have called the reception and engineer was sent to the room to look and disappear. Had to remind the unwelcoming receptionist that this must be fixed upon return from the business day outside (And my god - no word of sorry from this lady receptionist)
! Upon our return in the evening, the air-conditioner continues to make noises although the leaking seems disappeared, I called to make my first remark but the man receptionist immediately replied that they're fully booked and could not change a room although I didn't ask. An engineer sent to our room and pointed out that it's the wind noise but it was totally not the wind noise, definitely the engine noise from the old air-con. So I called reception and 30 rings later and no answer so I had to walk down and make my point with Manager on Duty. Applause to another welcoming Singaporean looking receptionist who immediately apologized for such incident and would see what she could do. After a short consult with her boss, she offered to change me to a new room. (as a person working in hotel industry, I couldn't believe such the services of the hotel in this level and yet Manager on Duty didn't seem to care much to show his sincere apology to me in person but sent his junior staff who seems to know well in handling guest's complaint.

!thanks goodness we decided to change the room, the rest of our 5 nights was great since then (no so-claimed wind noises from the air-conditioner anymore)

Room Tip: Please immediately change the room if you're checked into the noisy room Ask for room in top f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Bus from the hotel to Universal Studios. But there is no sign where the waiting area is, thus confusing the people. And the hotel staff are not that friendly because they are saying that the shuttle is not being provided by Carlton but by Resorts World, hence they don't care.

The hotel rooms are nice and the location is good. So if you don't mind dealing with poor customer service, then you may like this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melsiripura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed just one night on the 24th Feb before boarding a cruise ship the next day. The club bedroom was extremely comfortable, modern clean lines to the room décor, in attractive fawn, black & red. We enjoyed a good view from our room,out towards the sea. The bed was so comfortable, with soft pillows, definitely what I like. The bathroom was very good & quality toiletries provided. Also the club package allows free wifi.
The benefit of taking a club room , is the club itself! In the morning, you have breakfast there, much more preferable to the busy restaurant downstairs.Throughout the day, you can have tea, coffee or soft drinks there at no charge. During the evening a lovely selection of hot & cold snacks are provided with free flow of any spirit, wine or beer of your choosing during the 2 hours of club time. The young female staff running the club are charming & most helpful.
I particularly found the doorman upon arrival & departure a real gem, I was suffering a leg injury & was hobbling with a stick but he quickly produced a wheelchair to ease my passage, which we were allowed to hang on to, while I needed it during our stay.
The hotel is in a very good position, right across the road from Raffles Hotel & the Raffles Centre. Shopping made easy from here.
All the staff were pleasant & I would not hesitate to book the Carlton again on my next visit, whether for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Pay the extra & take the Club package!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!