“Excellent Service and Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Advance Purchase Special
Ranked #93 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Excellent Service and Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wanted to have a weekend staycation and went online to some research. Manage to shortlist 3 hotels and selected the most relevant and detailed reply hotel for my staycation. The reply comes with a detailed explanation and good comparison on the different type of rooms (in which I enquired).

Prior to my stay, I request for a room with good view via email and I am delighted that they managed to have special arrangement for me. They provide an upgrade for us and the room is spacious, with comfortable bed and good size bathtub. The view from the room is excellent and my fiancée loves it. Everything in the room is in Tip-Top condition for us. Cheers!

2 hours after I checked in, I received a called from the staff in which I have communicate via email to check with me whether I like the room and is everything going on good for me.

If anyone were to ask me which hotel in the city to recommend, I would definitely recommend Carlton Hotel. I am unsure is Carlton a 4-stars or 5-stars hotel, but in my mind, I would rate them at 5-stars. The reason is because the excellence service of both Mr Troy and Josephine makes me feel good and comfortable experience during my stay.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the premier wing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on the way from London to Sydney and this was a great stopover.

You'll want to do Raffles, and this is the closest you can get without paying Raffles prices, and being so close means you can walk around when it is empty.

Over the road from the Carlton hotel are a lot of reasonably priced restaurants - opposite the entrance over the road behind the wall - for example Chinese, Japanese and even a Hog's Breath if you want to get acquainted with Oz.

Rooms are functional, clean & just as you would expect from a hotel like this. It's quiet & there is free wifi in the lobby.

It's close enough to walk to the Marina Bay area, so if you like shopping and boats on the top of hotels then take a trip there, again there are lots of restaurants in that area & the light show on the bay is free & entertaining.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Overall experience could be better if I haven't experienced some bad services of some receptionist handling complaints and the room that wasn't quite ready to accommodate a guest.

Location is great and perfect, right in the city center and withing short walking distance to the shopping mall and restaurants. Nearby the subway station to connect you to anywhere you would like to go in Singapore

Public Area: recently renovated with modern decoration, airy and spacious with grand lobby however the seating could be rather limited as being occupied by guests using free wifi that is only available in the lobby area for the main building

Guestroom in main building: spacious although with very minor renovation unlike the modern lobby and restaurant. Bedding is comfy with plenty of electric socket for modern living with many gadgets.

! Beware of noisy air-conditioner, on the first night the air keeps making noises and by 3pm it is also crying (leak of waters from the ceiling filling up half of the bin we put underneath the leaking - I believe from the old air-conditioner) Have called the reception and engineer was sent to the room to look and disappear. Had to remind the unwelcoming receptionist that this must be fixed upon return from the business day outside (And my god - no word of sorry from this lady receptionist)
! Upon our return in the evening, the air-conditioner continues to make noises although the leaking seems disappeared, I called to make my first remark but the man receptionist immediately replied that they're fully booked and could not change a room although I didn't ask. An engineer sent to our room and pointed out that it's the wind noise but it was totally not the wind noise, definitely the engine noise from the old air-con. So I called reception and 30 rings later and no answer so I had to walk down and make my point with Manager on Duty. Applause to another welcoming Singaporean looking receptionist who immediately apologized for such incident and would see what she could do. After a short consult with her boss, she offered to change me to a new room. (as a person working in hotel industry, I couldn't believe such the services of the hotel in this level and yet Manager on Duty didn't seem to care much to show his sincere apology to me in person but sent his junior staff who seems to know well in handling guest's complaint.

!thanks goodness we decided to change the room, the rest of our 5 nights was great since then (no so-claimed wind noises from the air-conditioner anymore)

Room Tip: Please immediately change the room if you're checked into the noisy room Ask for room in top f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Bus from the hotel to Universal Studios. But there is no sign where the waiting area is, thus confusing the people. And the hotel staff are not that friendly because they are saying that the shuttle is not being provided by Carlton but by Resorts World, hence they don't care.

The hotel rooms are nice and the location is good. So if you don't mind dealing with poor customer service, then you may like this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melsiripura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed just one night on the 24th Feb before boarding a cruise ship the next day. The club bedroom was extremely comfortable, modern clean lines to the room décor, in attractive fawn, black & red. We enjoyed a good view from our room,out towards the sea. The bed was so comfortable, with soft pillows, definitely what I like. The bathroom was very good & quality toiletries provided. Also the club package allows free wifi.
The benefit of taking a club room , is the club itself! In the morning, you have breakfast there, much more preferable to the busy restaurant downstairs.Throughout the day, you can have tea, coffee or soft drinks there at no charge. During the evening a lovely selection of hot & cold snacks are provided with free flow of any spirit, wine or beer of your choosing during the 2 hours of club time. The young female staff running the club are charming & most helpful.
I particularly found the doorman upon arrival & departure a real gem, I was suffering a leg injury & was hobbling with a stick but he quickly produced a wheelchair to ease my passage, which we were allowed to hang on to, while I needed it during our stay.
The hotel is in a very good position, right across the road from Raffles Hotel & the Raffles Centre. Shopping made easy from here.
All the staff were pleasant & I would not hesitate to book the Carlton again on my next visit, whether for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Pay the extra & take the Club package!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My friend stayed here when she went to Singapore last year and she kept on talking about it with me. She was very particular with the pool and lounge which - according to her - basically represents luxury. Well, I passed by Carlton when I, myself, was there and I must admit that it really does set off a certain appeal which I think I haven't felt on any other lodges there. I'll be staying here next time I visit SG.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The lobby is large and the bar seats on your right and a large coffeehouse, on your left right at the lobby opposite the reception. Staff were very polite but robotic and the Bell Captain very helpful and ready to do his best the soonest we got out of the airport taxi limo. the room was pleasant, clean and had a large window (could not open to get fresh air) over looking the main hotel tower, and a small pool below with a lovely few of the Big Wheel and raffles City Tower. We asked a non smoking floor but could smell cigarettes in the corridor when we arrived on our floor! Housekeeping staff were friendly, but could not speak much English, they must have been from China. we had breakfast at the Coffeehouse at the lobby area and the receptionist was more interested to ask our room number than remembering to greet us, with a 'good morning' welcome smile. the buffet breakfast was extensive, varied and, you could eat enough to skip all other meal during the day, because there was so much too eat. The home made bread was not very good but the coffee was excellent and the freshly prepared omelet were done in front of you. The local paper and herald Tribune was there to read but the staff were more like table cleaners, instead of interacting with hotel guest and see if there was anything 'special' you may want and not shown on the buffet display tables. We went to the pool and blue large towels where next to the door to collect and a paper board to sign your room number on it. The square bar was empty (no staff) and had a loud music coming from a portable radio player was disturbing the morning calm. It was unpleasant, as we wanted to read books and recover from jet lag with some well need sun tan. later in the afternoon, a young Asian couple came in with Mc Donald paper bags and started eating cheese burgers and drinking cups of coke!. We called the reception and someone came to asked them to stop eating outside food. At a floor below outside near the pool, there is a changing room and shower place with a small sauna. we order food and it was excellent, especially the burgers and fries. forget about the beer! Its ridiculously pricey for a four stars hotel. Close to US$ 10 per bottle. don't touch alcohol in that hotel, it's highway robbery. we stayed there 3 days and nothing particular about the hotel ecxept the view and location. The staff were efficient but not very interesting compare to the smiles in Thailand, Cambodia and the Philippines. We were well attended, but it the hotel employees were more like robots than human and you leave the hotel without remembering any single individual, they all behave the same way, no colorful characters or at least, someone you would want to put in your address book and remember. Boring all the way, but a good place to stay if you do visit Singapore. The famous Historic Raffles Hotel is just across the street, so is the huge Twin Tower Raffles City Shopping Mall where lots of good eating place are located and the subway main station. On the other main street,you have 'Chime' a sort of large Ptio Hacienda type with restaurants. Go night time only, it's pack with 'happenings ' and life music bands in Pubs.

Room Tip: Good location if you spend a few days in Singapore, over priced for what the hotel has to offer.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Carlton Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!