“Overall good hotel but need some improvements” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book early and Save
Ranked #63 of 292 hotels in Singapore
perth
“Overall good hotel but need some improvements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel was good on the whole but I do have at least one complaint and a few other feedback for improvement.

I arrived at 5am for check in. The front desk staff went on to check me in and promptly told me room wont be ready till about 1030am, which was fine by me. But then, in the middle of checking me in, he told me to step aside as he needed to serve the guest behind me in the queue first.

I was only able to complete my check in after this 10 min wait. I cannot think of any reason why I have to wait for someone who turned up later than me. No explanation was offered to me either.

I booked a executive club room and was given room 1332. In the lift, the floor 14-17 were executive club. So I am now unsure if 1332 was a executive club room at all in the first place.

Most other experieces at the hotel was good. Poolside needs improvement. There was no wait staff attending to guests or asking for their drinks/food order. There was actually no evidence that they were even serving food/drinks there except for a menu at the towel desk.

Executive club breakfast range appeared smaller compared to the breakfast for normal room guest at the Orchard Cafe.

Executive club rooms promised cocktails during happy hours at the club lounge but was told otherwise when I arrived there. The cocktails were mentioned in my welcome letter as well. So either the hotel falsing advertises or the staff misinformed me.

Another mishap I experienced at the hotel was at the Noodle bar. This bar was widely advertised all around the premises. But when I got there, I found out that the only staff there didnt speak any english nor the national language of the country. How can such a guy even be employed in Singapore in the first place? Most of the guests were western anyway. Even in hotels in third world countries make it a must to employ only english speaking staff.

Besides the few irregularities, the Orchard Hotel is actually quite a decent place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OrchardHotelSing, GSM at Orchard Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Eswaran m
At all times in our interaction with our guests, it essential that we step back and listen to what our guests are saying to us and understand the issues that are prime importance to them.
As such your comments and suggestions are important to us as it is our building block to deliver the experience that the guest is looking for in their stay with us.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at gsm@orchardhotel.com.sg as we look forward for the opportunity to welcoming you back.

1,458 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I booked a room for 2 nights this coming Chinese New Year. I thought early bird catches the worm, but I was dead wrong. I ended up paying more and getting less. The hotel came up with a Chinese New Year promo a few weeks after I booked my room which is cheaper and comes with free breakfast, free internet and free upgrade. When I asked the Hotel whether I would have the benefit of the promotion since I'm staying during the promotional period, I was told to cancel the reservation and pay the penalty for one night so I can book again with cheaper rates and have the benefits from the promotion.

Seriously, is this the way the Hotel Management values customers who booked early?

Dear WildeHeart
We sincerely apologized for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay with us.
We appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to share your views with us. We will look into the matters that you have highlighted to us and we will take appropriate measures to resolve the issues.
I would like to invite you to please contact me directly at gsm@orchardhotel.com.sg, so that we may work towards regaining your confidence.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Caterham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for two nights while in Singapore with my partner. Room was clean and comfortable and had everything needed. Right on Orchard Road so great location for shopping the shops are amazing. The main restaurant was clean and the food good along with the service. Wouldn't think twice about going back. The only slight disappointment was the pool. Taxis are really cheap so getting around easy.

Dear Karen295
We thank you for selecting Orchard Hotel Singapore as your preferred accommodation for your recent trip.
We are pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you have found our services and our hotel’s centralized location have surpassed your expectations.
Wecertainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed here on route from Sydney to the UK. Everything went smoothly to greet a very tired traveller from the warm check in to the cleaners that cleaned my room. Room was spacious and that enabled me to relax and rejuvenate. Staff were helpful and assisted me with the directions and advised on how to get to my meeting locations. I will be certainly recommending this hotel to friends and business having experienced a great stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mataram
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is stated in strategic place, easy to go to shopping center, nice room with unique bathroom,helpul staff, they put sign with/out pork at the food, so as a muslim I can choose the HALAL food, I can discuss with chef to order HALAL food for room service dinner, in shortly, I love this hotel and worthed with our money

• Stayed October 2012
OrchardHotelSing, GSM at Orchard Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear muklay
Thank you for your compliments.
We are delighted that you had enjoyed our services.
Allow us to share your compliments with our Culinary team to acknowledged the service that they have provided in making your stay an unforgettable and a rewarding one.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Imagine arriving in Singapore late in the evening after a long and stressful two week business trip to China. You have a confirmed hotel booking from a global and well respected travel agent. Unfortunately the Orchard Hotel did not seem to careone little bit and had sold our room to an aircrew. They told us that rooms would be available in two hours (bertween 11.00pm and midnight) and would likely be wet. It appeared that they were trying to sell the same rooms twice on one day.

The duty manager was worse than useless and told us they were at full occupancy and that the rooms not being available was unfortunate - Unfortunate! All my colleagues and I wanted was a hot shower, a quiet beer and a long nights sleep.

After many minutes of pointless discussion our team got in a taxi and went to the Hyatt Singapore where we were treated with care,consideration and a lot of respect. A room was quickly avalable and we finally retired.

Our Company has a reasonable number of rooms at this hotel every year, but my recommendation for my colleagues and others is to look elsewhere if you want service and a little old fashioned consideration.

Room Tip: Try the Hyatt Singapore instead- a great hotel in a great location, with great service!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Trevor C
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay with us.
We have taken notice of your valuable feedback and rest assured we will take appropriate measures to correct these matters.
We would like to invite you to please contact us directly at gsm@orchardhotel.com.sg, so that we may work towards regaining your confidence.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed at the Orchard Hotel, Singapore between 30th December, 12 and 5th January, 2013 with family on a holiday.
The place is right at the beginning of Orchard road and location wise it is one of the best hotels to stay when you are on your holiday.
The key advantage about this place is the accessibility to Orchard Road, various malls, restaurants and public transport.
The rooms are of average size but functional and well equipped. Housekeeping is basic, but nothing to complain about.
They have a couple of restaurants and we had only breakfast at the coffee shop. Breakfast has fairly good options.
Swimming pool and fitness area looked clean and well maintained though we did not use the facilities due to lack of time. The kids area looked extremely small, the hotel may want to re look at refurbishing this.
Overall service is nothing much to mention, but at the same time nothing to complain about also. They are quite mechanical in their approach . They deliver what they promise, but do not go the extra mile
Will definitely return when in Singapore next on a Holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear umurali
We thank you for your comments as they are invaluable to us and of great assistance in highlighting points of concern from our valued guests.
It is our commitment to ensure that our guests needs are being met and their service expectations are fulfilled.
We look forward to welcoming you back again at the Orchard Hotel Singapore.

Guest Services Manager

Been to Orchard Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!