“For what you're paying...not worth it” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Bayview Hotel Singapore to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   30 Bencoolen Street, Singapore 189621, Singapore   |
Ranked #158 of 291 hotels in Singapore
“For what you're paying...not worth it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Had to fly over to Singapore urgently for a funeral so booked fast and booked cheap.

The rooms are tiny, especially if its two people.
The breakfast was horrible.
The staff weren't particularly nice, helpful or polite for that matter.
Hotels in Singapore are expensive yes but for what you get this is even more over priced than usual.

For those that are wondering, I didn't post this review earlier as I didn't know about tripadvisor til this trip I'm on right now.

• Stayed March 2012
BHSingapore, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We thank you for taking time to write in which allow us to address the shortcomings. We are saddened to hear of your encounters at Bayview Hotel Singapore and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

The Management is constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts. We will take into consideration all positive suggestions in our next upgrading programme. Thank you once again for your patronage and we hope that the experience you have had does not deter you from staying with us at Bayview Hotel Singapore where we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

437 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Korean first
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is an average hotel with average rooms. Service at the front desk is OK and the same goes for the breakfast buffet. It offers a variety of American, Chinese and Indian food, so I always found something to eat. After 8 o' clock in the morning, the breakfast room really gets busy. Most guests seem to be business travellers (like me).
I must say, for 230 S$ per night, the room I had on the 7th floor was way below average.
The TV set didn't really wor - I mean i could switch it on, but all programs were just flickering on the screen. Absolutely INACCEPTABLE!
The room I was in had a really cheap looking carpet with holes and stains in it, in particular close to the window - pretty disgusting. The room was pretty small and had ugly furniture.
There were no pictures whatsoever on the walls, so the whole room had no atmosphere. There was hardly any room to store away my luggage. The bathroom is very small with a disgusting bath tub with stains, so I didn't use it. There were two extremely small beds in the room. On one of the beds, which I didn't use, there were stains - absolutely a no go for a S$230 hotel room!!! (I don't want to know how thoroughly the rooms are cleaned in this hotel).

All in all this was very disappointing.
On the plus side one can say, that probably most hotels in Singapore are as overpriced as this one, and at least this hotel is right at a hot spot (Orchard street) with close vicinity to the MRT station. So, for getting around in the city, it is not a bad base. For families with kids this hotel is definitely not suited.
On my first day (having arrived from Europe, 12.5 Hour flight) I used room service. It took 30 minutes and then I didn't get the ice cream I had ordered. There is NO excuse for that!

All in all I would say this is a typical overpriced, a bit run down hotel with very cheaply furnished rooms, extremely small beds, and this all makes me feel as if being ripped of.
I would never stay there again.

You can also forget about the pool on the roof and also about the gym. They are way too small (much much smaller than they look like on the shiny pictures on the hotel website) and everything looks shabby there.
Ohh, by the way, there is a HUGE construction zone right in front of the hotel (a new subway station is built there) and this will be going on until 2017 !!!! SO do not stay at this hotel if you want to get a good sleep in the morning. Construction starts at about 7:30 and it's really terribly noisy!!!

All in all, this hotel was money lost.

Room Tip: There is nothing I can recommend about this hotel, really.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BHSingapore, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 17, 2012

We have also noted your comments and advised that our twin rooms consist of 2 super single beds. There is also a luggage rack inside the closet which is used for putting your luggage and a good picture on the bedhead wall. We will take your feedback into consideration in our next upgrading program.

The Management is constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts. We thank you once again for your patronage and we hope that the experience you have had does not deter you from staying with us at Bayview Hotel Singapore where we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Bayview Hotel is a mid range hotel that has friendly and efficient staff, clean rooms of reasonable size and a good buffet breakfast. Beds and pillows are comfortable and afford a good nights sleep. Between now, October 2012 and 2017 however the whole of the road in front of the hotel is a construction site for the building of a subway station. There is construction noise from 9am till 9pm but the hotel try to give rooms at the rear and I could hardly hear the noise in my room. LAN Internet in the room was very good at night but a little less good during the day. The TV reception was not good and there was no BBC, CNN or Fox with only Australian news in English and a variety of Asian channels but it did have 3 Eurospoorts channels. It the building next to the hotel there is a small food court that is open 24/7 which is good and around the corner an Irish Pub that shows UK football and the entrance to Bas Brasha subway station from where you can travel all around Singapore on the subway. Two streets away are a number of very late night bars and restuarants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
BHSingapore, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. It’s been our honour to have you as our guest. We are most delighted to learn that your room was clean and you are happy with the facilities and hotel’s surrounding.

Your recognition and encouragement will certainly motivate us in the hospitality industry to constantly pursue service excellence.

The team at Bayview Hotel Singapore joins me in extending our gratitude for your appreciation towards our effort in creating memorable hotel experiences.

The hotel provide free satellite channels such as Bloomberg, HBO, Discovery Channel, SuperSports and the new Australian Network together with 20 other entertainment, MTV and international news channels.

The Management is constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts. We thank you once again for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here recently with my mum for 4 nights. Although its not the hotels fault the construction noise was constant, loud & annoying.
The rooms are old & rundown and need of renovations. I was surprised that we had king single beds (& not double) when booking a twin stay. We ordered a bucket of ice & were generally shocked when we were told we would be charged for it. Only around $2.50 but I have never been charged for ice at any other hotel I've stayed at.
The "fitness room" was disgusting. It consisted of an exercise bike, a treadmill & small weight set crammed into a tiny room which stunk to high heavens. The equipment was all old.
The buffet breakfast was unappetising.
When checking out the girl didn't know how to use the computer or something & we had to wait 15 minutes or so for someone else to come & assist.

The location however was great, the food court around the corner was handy & had a delicious selection of food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room furtherest from the construction
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BHSingapore, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for choosing Bayview Hotel Singapore for your holiday in Singapore and we appreciate your sharing the experience with us here on TripAdvisor. We are saddened to hear of your encounters at Bayview Hotel Singapore and would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We have also noted your comments and will make every effort to make necessary improvements. I do hope the experiences you have had does not deter you from staying with us at Bayivew Hotel Singapore where I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

A rather convenient location. However, mrt construction is in progress right in front of hotel. Entire street block off. Taxi not able to send to lobby and not visible. Difficult to flag a cab. You need to call for a cab. For that, I suggest alternatives until construction is over.

I must add that the hotel went beyond to help guests call for cabs and additional measure in place to insulate noise during the day.

• Stayed October 2012
BHSingapore, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you very much for taking time to review your experience at Bayview Hotel Singapore. We have taken note of your comments and apologized for the inconvenience caused. We are most delighted to learn that you are happy with our services and hotel’s surrounding despite some disruption causing inconvenience from the MRT construction.

We look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back for a memorable hotel experience with us soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights. Specifically booked in advance for a room away from the construction noise, but never got it till the 3rd night, by then I didn't bother.

The reception staff are really nice. The manager is a bit slow with calculations.

I asked for a cheese sandwich from Tom service and I got it delivered cold 40 minutes later. When I returned it for a fresher one, I got a similar treat. I left the tray outside my room and it was not removed till the following afternoon.

I wouldn't return to stay in this hotel or any of the its competitors on the same street ( Hotel 81, Somerset hotel, strand hotel ...) till 2017, why? Construction is 24/7.

On the positive side, excellent location. Wonderful staff. God service & clean rooms.

• Stayed September 2012
BHSingapore, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Mr Shammasi,

We thank you for taking time to write in which allow us to address the shortcomings. We have taken note of your comments and apologized for the inconvenience caused.

On your request for a room away from the construction noise, the hotel was running full occupancy at that time and all requests are subject to room availability. As far as possible, the hotel tries to accede to customers’ preferences/or requests and special requirements, as indicated in their booking. We have also checked with our Asst F&B Manager about the late delivery of food. The time we received your room service order till the delivery of food took not more than twenty minutes. We understand that we have to re-do your order as you do not wish to cut the sandwich into slices and that took another fifteen minutes for the delivery.

The Authority has restricted the heavy public works till 1930 hours. Disruption is intermittence. We are working closely with the Authority to minimize the inconveniences.

The Management is constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts. Assuring you of our best attention and service at all times.

Perth West Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have been to Singapore many times, but this was a first for my daughter. The size of the room (small) did not bother us. Even the slow exit of water from the shower and handbasin didn't annoy us. The new MRT construction work outside the hotel was deafening, but we coped.. But really put this hotel way down the list was the "breakfast buffet". For myself I only ever have fruit, cereal/yoghurt. Only 2 types of fruit on offer.
Only chocolate rubbish cereal and rice bubbly things and cardboard flakes. No muesli or healthy cereals. And no yoghurt on the weekend. My daughter was disappointed in the cooked choices.
On our last morning the restaurant was full. We approached 2 tables pushed together with the intention of asking the occupants if we could have one table, as there were only 2 people on the 2 tables (set for 6) when one of the occupants told us in no uncertain terms they were sitting there.
It was a little disappointing that the staff or the F & B manager did not come to our aid and separate the tables for us. Unusual for Singaporeans who are normally the most accommodating people. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone who has never been to Singapore before.
I came home really disappointed. Such a shame as the hotel itself is in a brilliant location. I also thought the hotel was overpriced, compared to others I have stayed in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

We have also noted your comments on the breakfast buffet and will make every effort to make necessary improvements.

Bayview Hotel Singapore

Been to Bayview Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!