“A pleasant stay on New Year's Eve” 4 of 5 stars

Amara Singapore Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   165 Tanjong Pagar Road, Singapore 088539, Singapore   |
Ranked #82 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Hong Kong, China
“A pleasant stay on New Year's Eve”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for one night on New Year's Eve. The hotel reception area looked spacious and modern. The check-in was smooth, we've been allocated to a room with a king sized double bed. The room was nice and quiet. The bathroom has a large basin and bathtub surrounded by mirrors.
There's a beautiful swimming pool on the 6th floor of the hotel.
The hotel is located in the heart of Tanjong Pagar area, it has plenty of eateries around the area - Maxwell Road Hawker Centre is just less than 10 minutes walk.
All in all, we had a pleasant stay at this hotel and wouldn't mind coming back again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed on the 17th floor. Club floor service was excellent, food delicious, and staffs friendly. Pool closes at 7pm but we could still swim even in the dark. The hotel is close to China town. Besides the supermarket locate din the shopping mall attached to the hotel, there is one in front of the hotel. On the same street you can find currency exchange next to ATMs.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

All in all a very good hotel experience. Fairly new and well kept hotel, clean and nice rooms and good service. The breakfast lounge was under refurbishment during my visit, and we we're therefore cramped into a too small restaurant - but this is only tamporary, and still they provided a good service. All in all a hotel to recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Great hotel. Not outstanding, but it ticked all the boxes well. It's very close to the MRT (green line) which makes getting about easy, and not far from the Maxwell Road Hawker Centre which is a great place to eat.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We decided to stay one night over the weekend at this hotel as hubby's friend was having his wedding dinner there.... Checked the reviews and found that it can sway either way, so decided to give it a try....
In all, I will say that ours was a positive experience.... Check in was smooth and hassle free... and we got our room within minutes....
The room though not that big, was cosy and comfortable enough...
I especially wanted to comment on the good service..... We realised that one of the bed lamps was not working (as can be seen in one of my pictures), but before we even got to calling for the service staff, our doorbell rang.... and there was the staff informing us that he was here to repair the lamp.... Needless to say, we were quite impressed by the service standard...
The hotel was linked to a shopping centre (not big but good enough) with a supermarket and eateries... Very convenient.... Give it a try if you intend to stay in that area...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I have stayed at the Amara twice now - both times for four days. The hotel is convenient to work and of an evening, has some good restaurants nearby - both local and upmarket.

Positives - nice hotel, good room size for a business trip, cleanliness was up to standard, bathroom good size with bath and seperate shower, quiet room, good breakfast was included in my corporate rate. Location is good for a business traveller, gym was perfect for a mid week workout. I used room service, was ok - nothing bad, nothing great.

Negatives - service of concierge and porters team - alot of standing around. Sloppy paint work in bathroom, an attempt to cover up mould didnt work. No issue just looked ugly and sloppy.

Overall, good stay. I will come back due to the location to work. I wouldnt stay if I was on holidays, a little out of way for tourist venues or Orchard road.

Room Tip: Stay away from the service area where the maids come in and out. A little noisy. I had a room 19 f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
copenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I normally stay up the road at the M Hotel but decided to try out the Amara after a recommendation from a colleague, either he was very lucky or I was very unlucky who knows.

I was moved midway through the stay after complaining about the bathroom noise (see further down). Neither room was well cleaned with mascara on the mirrors, thick dust on the windowsill and gravelly powder on the bathroom floor in the second room (seemed like someone had grouted the tiles and not properly swept after)

Internet broken when I got there lunchtime Sunday. Told it was a server problem. Got up early Monday morning to try and finish the work couldn't do on the Sunday. Internet still broken. Came back Monday evening. Internet still broken. Explained to reception put through with no apology to the operator. Explained again to the operator told to use cable - no cable in the room operator huffs and puts me through to an outside IT company who fixes the problem. Turns out not the server - reception hadn't activated me!! No apology from reception.

Went for breakfast first morning. They were renovating, room was underlit and smelt of fried food. Went to take pancakes and tongs covered in sticky goo from the noodles asked for fresh tongs. They changed but didn't think to change the saucer, the saucer still covered with sticky goo so new tongs now dirty - gave up on pancakes. Took a muffin and tried to sit down - all places were dirty even those that had been relaid. Took muffin to eat in my room. Never went back to breakfast as it made me question the hygiene in the kitchen, thankfully Starbucks is just up the road.

The plumbing system means two rooms share the same drain. Shouldn't be a big deal but the room acoustics are such that every time my neighbour used the toilet or sink I woke up because loud running water echoes in my bathroom. Tried two rooms and it is the same problem in both but luckily in the second room my neighbour didn't go to the toilet that often so it didn't bother me as much.

The room was OK but not super. Lighting poor for working in the evenings. Desk lamp was broken in first room.

For the ladies the hairdryer is from circa 1972, budget at least an hour to dry your hair!

Room service staff could not speak English well enough to take an order by phone. They also couldn't answer a phone, would pick up the receiver and then you have to wait while they finish chatting to their mate at the other end. Went down to reception at one point in search of help and got some good service finally - an apology and a complimentary salad, phew I think - things are looking up. Clearly not.

3am woken up by the night porter shouting 'hairdryer' through my door. Had to open the door to get rid of him (was scary to do this at that time of night!). He mumbled an apology while texting on his phone for getting the wrong room. Lost my temper and got a proper apology but really not happy now

Tried to print in the business centre, equipment poor. First she had no internet connection and then an issue with the printer. 20 mins later we just print it at reception. Lovely lady in the business centre who did her best but suffering from poor tools.

Several times tried to speak to the manager to explain why I was unhappy. He did not want to meet me. Every time I complained I asked the staff to write it down - they didn't.

Night before check out. Went to take a bath for the first time, bath not cleaned with the same gravel coating it as the floor and some of the previous occupant's hairs. Cleaned the bath myself. Called reception to tell them I would not pay the full amount they offer to clean the bath. I explain that I am undressed and the last thing I want is a man from housekeeping knocking at my door trying to clean my bath so I have done it myself. Get in the bath. 5 mins later housekeeping persistently knocking on the door. Have to get out of the bath to get rid of them. So much for a relaxing bubble bath!

Checkout presented with a bill for the full amount, my complaint from the night before clearly had not been passed on. Explained again I wouldn't pay full amount. Receptionist ignores me, just tries to get me to sign for the full amount waving the bill at me. I refuse. eventually reception manager is called and we agree a discount - I explain I am going to write this review and why. finally an apology, but too little too late! I gave the manager multiple chances to address this with me directly. this hotel is not interested in changing as every time I complained it was not written down or addressed seriously. This could be a good hotel but will never be because they don't know how to handle and process customer complaints in order to make positive change. All in all this stay was farcical.. I think you can probably guess but I am staying at the M Hotel for my trip in January, I also hear the Clarion is good.

Room Tip: Go to the M Hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Amara Singapore Hotel? Share your experiences!