We just love the Pan Pacific in Singapore and keep going back there again and again during every visit to Singapore over the years. Newer hotels have popped up, but the Pan Pacific always seemed a step ahead. But this year the cracks showed up far too obviously and however much we tried, could not be ignored. I travelled with my husband and daughter towards the end of July and while some things are simply brilliant about the hotel, there are others that need to be looked into seriously. One of those is the check-in process. My husband is a member of the GHA program and for the first time in years he wasn't acknowledged as one. No worries. Just that, even as the staff member asked for ID he spoke into his mouthpiece to ask for someone from the VIP team to assist with the check-in. Impressive surely? Not really, if another staff member from the VIP team just walks in and is now the second person doing the check-in in an already crowded area. So, who are we supposed to talk to? The first person who started the process and still had our passports and credit card or the second one who apparently was rendering a VIP service. While the concept is good for repeat guests and GHA members, the VIP check-in then needs to happen in another area and not by two people. There is far too much confusion.
Also, the attitude of the VIP team staff member seemed a bit curt. All she wanted was to get done with things. Sign this and confirm that!!!!!! My husband had requested a late check-out via the e-upgrade offer and all she had to say was we needed to pay half a day's charges. Fine, we were returning guests so we knew our way around and about the facilities. But not once was any detail offered. Just get on with it and move on. Anyway, the issue with the late check out was later sorted out because of some fine employees that the Pan Pacific continues to have on its rolls. But this was achieved only after we checked in and my husband wrote an email to Ms Jennifer Wong, who sorted everything out.
Another thing that needs serious attention is breakfast at the Edge. It is a mess. And the stress is beginning to show on staff manning the place who can be seen arguing and snapping with guests. Not done in a place that ranks so high and has been a model for good service. Alternate breakfast venues were being offered but very few wanted to go as most knew that it wasn't the whole spread. Come on folks, don't make such half-hearted efforts. These are all paying guests and why should anyone go in for half the spread!!! Tables are allocated to one group of guests and when they go to get some food, another staff member comes and hands over the table to other guests. Happened to us once in five days, but on each day we saw such events taking place. In fact, the staff members refused to back down when told the table had been allocated. So by implication, were the guests lying?
My husband celebrated his birthday during our stay at the hotel. A cake arrived in the room one day late. We do appreciate this little gestures from the hotel, but please do get the date right.
Check-out was a minor bother in comparison. No one was manning the designated departure counters. So we waited for 5-7 minutes thinking that someone would eventually turn up. Staff members walked by and looked at us or away but said nothing. We finally checked out at the regular check in counters.
All that said, the rooms are still great as are the facilities. Many of the staff go out of their way to be nice and courteous. But the little niggles that we read in other review,s but chose to ignore, caught up with us this time. For the first time, we have come back home thinking .... for the price that we paid could we have got better?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Marina Bay and Singapore's Central Business District, Pan Pacific Singapore provides newly-renovated rooms and suites with panoramic views of the city skyline. Linked via skybridge to three shopping malls and Suntec City Singapore International Convention and Exhibition Centre, guests will be surrounded by iconic attractions within walking distance including the ArtScience Museum, Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay integrated resort and Esplanade - Theatres by the Bay. Leisure and business travellers will enjoy a superb choice of dining, entertainment and cultural atractions. Within the hotel, 6 signature award-winning restaurants, an outdoor swimming pool and 24-hour fitness centre offer options to dine and unwind at. The Promenade mrt station located within five minutes' walking distance offers utmost convenience and connectivity to the city and a complimentary weekday shuttle bus operates around the Marina Bay Financial Centre route. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Pan Pacific Hotels Group, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HRS, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, HotelTravel.com and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Pan Pacific Singapore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pan Pacific Singapore Hotel Singapore
- Pan Pacific Hotel Singapore
- Singapore Pan Pacific