“Great Skyline Views” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 290 hotels in Singapore
London
“Great Skyline Views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed in a Junior suite for a couple of nights, amazing views from the room through big octagonal windows - really the perfect view of the Singapore skyline.
Service was amazing, I only stayed two nights but they remembered my name every time I went past the door or needed a taxi.
Location is fine, a 10 minute stroll down to the marina area and restaurants of boat quay. Pool area is ok, but nothing incredible.
Have stayed in Raffles and Shangri-La previously and it all depends on what is your priority. The pool area of the Shangri-La is way better & Raffles obviously wins hands down for tradition. However the Ritz-Carlton holds it's own for a modern hotel with all the luxuries you expect.
For more great views or a fancy meal head to the Equinox complex at The Stamford.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

1,744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband has stayed here numerous times on business over the past 6m months, this is my 3rd visit. Food is OK, but not great considering the price. Have noticed decline in quality of produce used. Not good taste/quality. Still well presented and cooked, but not hte quality of ingredients you would expect in a 5 star place. You can see the cost cutting in a few areas is really affecting the guest experience. The main areas are big and were once grand, but seem dull and unwelcoming to me. Staff here are always great and helpful with a good standard of care. But even that does make up for being unable to fix problems.

The biggest disappointment is the rooms. Big, nice bathroom but otherwise a letdown. We are on our 3rd room in a 6 night stay. First room, the noise was so bad from construction that my husband had to move during the middle of the night to try and get some rest. Loud construction noise at 2am - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. The hotel has no excuse for not warning you in advance that there may well be noise for the Harbour facing rooms. Also it was not possible to change the temperature in the room.

So next day I arrive to join my husband while he was at work. He had left instructions that were agreed to that the hotel staff would move his posessions to the new room at some point during the day and that when I arrived late afternoon I would be sent to the new room, not the old one .Guess what, I arrived, the hotel had done nothing and I was sent to the old room. I thought it was odd that I was facing right onto the noisy construction and my husband had packed his case, so luckily rather than unpacking all my stuff I phoned my husband to check. Lucky I did. So I called the front desk and asked why I was sent to the wrong room and would they please sort it out. So a member of staff came to take me and all our luggage to the new room. New room was at least facing the city so less noisy. But again be warned, all the rooms are very noisy from people walking down the corridors, shouting, and room doors slamming loudly. No soundproofing.

So new room was even more shabby and run down than the last one. It seems they all are to some degree or another. They are being refurbished soon I hear. They are 3 star quality right now, so would suggest staying here once that is done. Not only that, but this room was also dirty, The carpet had what I can only describe as a big crusty vomit stain on it. Like another reviewer I did NOT want to walk on the carpet with bare feet, it was nasty. All rooms are very worn out. Chipped and flaking, peeling etc. Bads design and layout. Cannot view TV from the bed, half the picture is cut off. also bad picture on TV. Cannot watch from the sofa either as its 90 degrees to one side. the bed in this room also had nasty nasty stains on the headboard, very clear what they were. Revolting. Once again the air conditioning does not work. Does not matter what temperature you set the unit to, it stays at 22 degrees. The clock in the the room has a thermostat so it was pretty hard for the dumb staff to continue arguing with us that it was working and fixed. But they tried bless them. Oh yes, all fixed. Really. So we moved rooms again! The filth and stuffy air was too much.

This time the THIRD room was a bit less dirty, but just as tired and guess what - aircon fixed at 22 degrees. Finally a manager admitted that it is not possible to change the temperature in the rooms. At which point my husband was very upset as they had pushed us around to 3 different rooms by now -eating into our holiday time. They could have said the aircon was set and saved us all that hassle. Disgraceful way to treat guests. So now we are stuck in our stuffy room with no windows and no way to change the temperature. Very clear they try and cover up the fact that the aircon temp iS FIXED in every room to try and save money. And we got a random unknown phone call in the middle of the night to wake us up. Then on Sunday morning, at 7.30am we were loudly awoken by a PA system right below our window. Went on for a few hours as triathlon runners headed off. Would have been a nice sight if it wasn't for the fact we needed some sleep due to the construction noise, night time phone call, noisy guests and lack of fresh air! The toiletries in the room are very poor, quality, unusable. So make sure you bring your own.

Cocktails down by the pool were terrible, Bad ingredients, super expensive, badly made and tasted vile. All served in a plastic cup and not even a cherry floating in the muck for the price! But the pool, trees, loungers and gym are all nice. Last night we had 2 cocktails in the bar area and they were great.

This place must be losing regular customers a lot. A senior manager just called me volunteering to listen to the tale of woe. He offered us dinner in the hotel restaurant tonight for the two of us. I said great, but please please can someone just fix the air conditioning?? We have been here 6 days in 3 rooms and still nothing. I am prepared to ignore the 'manly' stains on the headboard and carpet. But I just want to have some cool air and get some sleep. Off to the (very nice!) gym now to work out the frustrations!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

The Ritz-Carlton Millenia Singapore is a stunning hotel in a city full of great hotels. I had a Club Room which was large, very well appointed and featured one of the nicest bathrooms I have come across in any hotel. The views were stunning. High speed internet was free of charge and the connection was very strong.

The Club Room gives one access to the Executive Club which is located on the top floor of the hotel. It has amazing views and a constant supply of great food. Seriously, one could sit there all day and never run out of delicious things to eat and drink. At night, there is even a chocolate and cordials reception. The nicest executive lounge I have come across anywhere.

On my last day in Singapore, my flight was leaving late at night, so the hotel allowed me to check out at the regular time and keep the keys to the executive lounge until my actual departure. I was able to use the fantastic fitness center and take a shower before departing for the airport after a hot day of sightseeing, which was much appreciated. The service is absolutely flawless, even by already high Asian standards.

Two minor things I did not particularly enjoy were:

1. My room (3120) was directly beneath the executive lounge, so you could hear foot traffic starting very early in the morning. If you are light sleeper and/or prefer a very quiet room, do request one that is two stories below the lounge just to be safe.

2. While the location is adjacent to a shopping mall that will eventually get you to the real center of the city, it is quite a bit of a walk to the nearest subway station (City Hall). Hotels like the Fairmont (also a great place to stay) and The Raffles are in much better locations, especially is you are there to sightsee.

Still, this Ritz is likely one the the nicest hotels you will ever encounter. Would stay there again without hesitation, just not right beneath the Exec Lounge. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

This hotel has a perfect services you feel like it royalty in there, the only complain is that the furniture in the hotel have to change, because are very very old, the signature restaurant is one of the best for cantonese food, great food and out standing service, they have a super nice manager her name is Winnie and she knows all about the food.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

We decided to stop over in Singapore on the way to Cambodia and settled on the Ritz Carlton Hotel. The public areas of the hotel are quite spectacular with amazing contemporary artworks by the likes of Frank Stella and astounding glass installations by Dale Chihuly. The rooms are luxurious if a little worn out and in need of some refreshing. The hotel is situated a little out of the very heart of town- but taxis are so cheap in Singapore it really wasn’t an issue for us. The highlight of the hotel was the amazing staff- who seemed to almost outnumber the guests- nothing was ever too much trouble.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Louisiana south
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

it was the most wonderful stay in a hotel . I have traveled the world newyork vancouver
etc but the view the service the staff undescribable. just perfecto!
We shall return.
Blu and gee robins

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

About ten years ago, I stayed with a friend at this hotel and we have been talking about it ever since, in particular about an incident in the lobby. That morning on our second day we came out the elevator and were addressed by name by a staff member of the hotel. This is a large hotel and such an experience I had never had before. This month I returned for the first time and that experience ten years ago was only a small peak of the superior service I have experienced during this visit. In fact I was so overwhelmed by the service in this hotel that I canceled and changed my travel plan, just to return to this hotel a few days later and enjoy it's spectacular environment, facilities, staff and service for another four days. During both stays we stayed in a gorgeous one bedroom suite facing the harbor. The rooms are exceptionally spacious, with walk in closet, beautiful bathroom, tasteful and classy furnishings and spectacular comfy bed. I understand that an overhaul of the rooms is under way, but I have to say it is quite remarkable that after 12 or 13 years (since the hotel opened) the decor has kept up to be tasteful and stylish withstanding fashion and decoration trends of the last decade. Something that can not be said of most hotels. What may have colored my experience at this hotel is the fact that I booked the club floor. I am familiar to the club-floor concept, but the Ritz Carlton Singapore has given me new meaning to the club-floor-experience. The Club Lounge on the top floor of the building is exceptionally well appointed with beautiful furnishings and fabrics. It is spacious and offers different areas, both table seating and comfortable lounge seating. Check-in takes place here as well. Food servings are of very high quality and despite having spent here about 7 days in the last month I never had a feeling the the food offer was repetitive. On many occasions there is a chef in the lounge preparing fresh food right there and then. The food is themed by day, giving it a good variation. Despite the lounge being busy one day with a large group the food offer was always ample. I must say that I sampled some of the best food from the region here at the lounge. In addition the lounge provides drinks all day long including champagne from breakfast to the late evening. Not just any champagne: Moet & Chandon, how classy! Although the hotel surpassed my expectations in all the above ways, the real and fundamental difference to any experience I have ever had before at any other hotel is the Club floor staff. During my stay I met some of the warmest, most gracious, professional and funny people. The Club floor team is what really makes this hotel to a one of a kind. I felt no reason to venture out into Singapore. I kept returning to the lounge for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, desert, cocktails. At all times the staff made me feel comfortable, happy and I do not remember having had so many laughs with hotel employees ever before. The passion in the people that work here can not be trained, it is clear to me that they really enjoy their work, form an exceptionally close team and are driven by passion, professionalism, ambition and happyness. What a difference to the average hotel. At the same time the staff was very observant and always looked for ways to exceed our expectations. Little things like informing housekeeping when you walk in for breakfast so your room is made while you have breakfast, anticipating your specific needs in every way, just incredible.

Other than the room and the club lounge I really enjoyed the pool. It's gorgeous, large, lush and exceptionally well designed. Remarkably empty for such a large hotel, only during the weekends it seemed a bit busier. Pool staff was lovely and providing water, a friendly talk or there to assist in any way. Although I have a rigid gym routine and the hotel has fantastic Cybex equipped gym, I didn't make it to the gym once.. I was simply to relaxed.

Also during my staff I kept being approached by the very friendly people of guest relations addressing me by name informing about my stay or just having a chat. I felt so looked after by. But other staff as well, from front door to health club, all are so warm, friendly and funny. There seems a looseness in their approach and manners that you would not expect in such a 'formal' hotel, yet it works its magic.

Leaving this hotel was hard, especially when seeing all the club floor staff lined up at the front door to say good bye. Now that was just unbelievable.

All I can say is, if you want to be blown away by a hotel experience, book this hotel and definitely go for the club floor. It is exceptional value. There will be no regrets only a strong feeling wanting to return to this hotel paradise.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Millenia Singapore? Share your experiences!