“Loved The Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
London
“Loved The Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

What a lovely hotel , definitly do the room upgrade with breakfast as the food is lovely.
The pool is very nice and definitely have the eat as much as you can buffet dinner (something like £50 each) but amazing so much choice!!! My husband and i did it just before the plane and the food was fabulous - i am very fussy eater and never thought i would reccomend a buffet dinner but this is something else.
Staff were lovely and had a great time.

• Liked — the food . . .i am getting hungry thinking about it
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

Booked a valley wing room for a two-night (one-day), stopover based solely on the reviews here.

I can honestly say they live up to any amount of praise thrown their way.

Hotel Transfer:
Had arranged previously and the "team" was there to greet me as expected. They even went out of their way to try and locate my gf who was flying in from elsewhere and we had mixed up which terminals we were meeting at.

Check-In/Check-Out
As soon as we walked into the lobby a lady came up to greet us "by name" and led us directly to our room. On the way to the room she informed us that we had been upgraded to a suite. Once in the room, the butler gave us an "induction" to the room while the clerk took our passports/etc. and filled out the check-in forms. Within 5 minutes our luggage was there and we were checked in and alone to relax.

Check-Out was just as quick. We had an early flight our last day and our luggage was picked up and loaded in the vehicle and bill paid for in a matter of 5 minutes agin.

Room
The room was quite impressive. I think it was the little things that really struck me. the jack so you could plug your iPod into the stereo; the pot of tea in it's own warmer; the selection of chocolates, and the automatic controls of eevrything.

Best service I've ever come across. Nothing was too much trouble, our butler literally walked us half the way to Orchard road since we said we wanted to walk and he didn't want us lost. Probably interacted with 15 different people working for the hotel in the 36 hours we were there and all were better than I have seen elsewhere.

Never got a chance to have breakfast (Up too late first day and gone too early the next), but did have dinner at The Line one night. I can't see anyone going hungry here......or not finding something they absolutely love to eat. Only thing here I found kind of "over the top" was the 1.5 liter bottle of water that cost S$16, but the food was worth it.

Location
It is very convenient to the one end of Orchard Road, maybe 5-10 minutes walk, but since it is not right on Orchard, you are relieved fro all the hustle and bustle. I actually couldn't think of a better spot if you want quiet/convenience.

I really cant say enough good about this place. Unfortunately on my way back through I stayed at the Marriott for comparison purposes and missed out on another great stay. I won't do the same next time.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Not one thing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sunderland England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

Just had a fabulous week at the Shangri la Valley Wing. I stayed at the Shang three years ago when my husband was on business. We were thoroughly spoilt. My husband was there for about two months I stayed for three weeks. We had a premier room in the Horizon club Tower Wing. Fantastic. Breakfast may be taken on the 24th floor. Wonderful waiter service excellent food and views to die for. Or in the main buffet restaurant on the ground floor. The best choice I have ever seen for breakfast or even lunch for that matter. Because all cuisines are available. We loved having curries and naan breads for breakfast. Or noodles dim sum and fried rices. Also Japanese which I am not a fan of . English eggs bacon sausage mushrooms omelettes etc American pancakes and waffles made fresh in front of you and anything else you can think of. Wonderful juices and fresh fruits. Pastries and muffins doughnuts and danish the list just goes on and on.

We returned the following year for a four week stay. They were busy renovating the Valley Wing and the main ground floor restaurant and we just couldnt take the noise so stayed at Traders just down the road. Sister hotel to the Shang. Ok but not in the same league. But while there heard wonderful things about what was happening in the Valley Wing.
Apparently once completed David and Victoria stayed there when in Singapore for the Olympic bids. So daughter and I decided to pay a visit and experience this for ourselves. If its good enough for Posh and Becks.......

Valley Wing was wonderful. Bathroom was gorgeous and big enough to accomodate two women !!!!! That alone speaks volumes. Good quality toiletries replenished immediately. Abundance of towels v.v. thick and fluffy. As were the white towelling robes. Nice touch also were the lightweight cotton kimono style robes which were lovely and cool to wear after a long steamy soak in the bath watching telly. Only thing missing was a few soaps like coronation street or eastenders.
Seperate dressing room area with loads of wardrobe space. We requested extra hangers and a dozen were brought immediately. Daughter hasnt quite grasped the art of packing for a week and packed instead for a month (incase we stayed on ? I wish....) But no problem there was more than enough room in robes and drawers.
To be honest I was dreading twin beds. But they were very big. Just short of a normal double bed in the UK. Daughter thought it was very comfortable. I on the other hand compared it to sleeping on concrete. However I do normaly sleep on a memory foam so perhaps that was just me.
Well stocked mini bar though V.V. EXPENSIVE. Two complimentary bottles of fresh water left everyday. A chocolate left everynight. Very good turndown service. With slipmat left at side of bed along with your slippers. Excellent standard of housekeeping.
One small niggle was the standard of bedding. Plain white sheets and duvet covers, soft and comfortable and all changed daily but definately in need of replacement. Duvets often had threadbare patches and twice pillowcases had actual holes in them! Not in keeping with a five star hotel. Dont think Posh and Becks would have tolerated that.
Breakfast in the Summit room was something else. Magnificent. Half expected the queen to join us . Everything available t the main restaurant (now called "The Line") is available in the Summit room but mostly served to you by the most polite and pleasant group of people. "Nothing was too much trouble" just doesn't do it when descibing the level of service afforded by these wonderful attentive but unobtrusive people. I am loathe to call them waiters and waitresses because they were much more than that. Greeting you by name each morning looking genuinely pleased to see you. Noting that they had missed you the previous morning when daughter had decided to try the Line for breakfast . This standard of service carried through to the champagne bar in the lobby where the same personel looked after us dishing up snacks and treats afternoon tea as good as the Ritz. Delicate hot canapes delicious especially when washed down with copious amounts of complimentary champagne. Moet and Chandon no less. All refreshments were there for the asking. Tea coffee juices coctails spirits. available from 11am thru' tll 10.30pm. And all preferences duly noted and remembered. Very weak tea for me decaf coffee for daughter. Always a glass of water served with our champagne and all prepared with out being asked usually just an acknowleding nod before we even settled in our favourite sofa. And there we would sit for a very comfortable hour or so of people watching pampering and being pandered to.

All of this doesnt come cheap but hey if you are staying at the Shangri la anyway for a few pounds extra it is worth splashing out and treating your self. The price of alcholic drinks in Singapore is so expensive it wont take you long to work that it will actually save you money to upgrade to the Valley Wing.

Having said that, IF the only way you can afford to stay at the Shang is in the most basic room anywhere in the hotel, then DO IT. Because it will be FAB anyway. The hotel is an experience not to be missed. With wonderful service no matter who you are. A beautiful pool where once again attendants take care of your every need. Coming around regularly with complimentary fresh fruits and ice cold towels. Waiters on hand to take your drinks and food orders.
TIP... ask for a glass of iced water. This is free. Order a 1 litre bottleof water and it will cost you 22 singapore dollars, just over £7. And it is not served in an ice bucket therefore will be warm before you can drink it all.
I am already planning return trip in September. Once youve have stayed there you are spoilt and wont ever want to go anywhere else. Like I said if its good enough for Posh and Becks.....

Stayed March 2007
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

My parents and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on our way to Australia for a 5 week trip visiting relatives. I had read all the reviews on this site and was very hopeful for our visit. The hotel and Singapore far exceeded my expectations.
The hotel is beautiful both inside and out and the staff are friendly and very attentive. It was my mothers 65th birthday whilst we were there and they sent wine and chocolates to her room, a touch which was greatly appreciated.
The rooms are spacious and very comfortable; the restaurants are of an excellent quality without being over priced and the pool is large and well maintained. It is situated at the top of Orchard Road and only a 10 minute stroll to all the shops and restaurants. Taxis are very cheap so you don't even have to walk if the heat gets too much!!
We are already planning our next visit.

• Liked — Location, style, comfort and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing, perfect
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

This was one of the few hotels in Singapore that would allow 4 person room occupancy for one room for a last minute booking in Japanese school holidays.

We booked this hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and finding the information from everyone else really helpful.

I travelled with my 3 kids, the oldest of whom was 12 so he was classified as an adult, which really made it 2 adults and 2 kids. When we checked in to the Garden Wing for 5 nights, we were given a better bedding arrangement than we had been told when we booked over the phone and the extra bed was free. They gave us complimentary Golden Circle club membership which offered a discount on breakfasts and other things, and can be used for all future stays. We also got a bowl of fresh fruit in the room every day.

The kids loved it! They were always welcomed by name by the staff at reception in our wing, and when my elder son got sick (just a bad cough), he was given a get well letter and a little Shangri-La teddy bear by the staff. There is the International medical Centre in Tanglin Mall just a short walk down from the hotel.

The breakfast buffet is fantastic. So many different cuisines to choose from, but it is expensive, and even though the Golden Circle membership halved the adult price, it didn't cover the kids price at all. When I made a comment the next breakfast that the kids don't really eat enough to get their money's worth, we suddenly found we weren't even charged for the 2 younger kids breakfasts, which was a nice gesture. I also filled in the hotel survey on the last night we were there, and in the morning got a complimentary voucher for food and beverages, which meant 4 of us ate breakfast for practically nothing.

The room service menu for kids looks basic and expensive, but when you go to some of the restaurants at the attractions like the Zoo or the Night Safari, then you realise the hotel room service price is not that bad, and the food was very good.

The hotel is set a little bit back off Orchard Road, but it is only a few minutes walk down the hill to get there, or there is a complimentary shoppers' bus which takes you into town, with drop offs at a couple of the bigger shopper malls. They give you a card with a timetable so you can coordinate your return journey which was good when you have 3 tired kids. Once we tried getting a taxi from the same mall as the drop off and the queues were shocking, so the hotel bus is a must! There is also the Singapore Airlines bus which is $3 each if you show your boarding pass within 7 days, and it leaves just down the road from the hotel on Orchard Rd. It does a big circuit right round Singapore and you can get on and off as much as you like.

The pool was always clean and well cared for, and the staff would set us up with chairs and towels and made life very comfortable. The kids loved the pool and spent many hours in there. It was not crowded at all, and the fountains were a big hit. There was also a shallow area for the smaller kids roped off from the deep pool.

Overall our stay was excellent and the kids and I would love to go back again!

• Liked — The pool and the food
  • Disliked — Breakfast was very expensive
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Surrey UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

Returned for third visit - booked a garden room - as I love the bouganvillea framed views and was very gratified to be upgraded to a garden suite. Really good sized rooms and its great to have a separate lounge area - so that you can do your 'awake at 3am' jet lag adjustments without disturbing ones partner.

Its been a few years since our last stay and the revamping of the coffee shop area into 'The Line' is great - really clean modern lines and a great selection of food. Had one of the best foot massages ever by the pool. The real strength of this place is the staff - so well trained, from porters to managers - managing to sound as though they really care that you have a great stay- and delivering on every request.

Stayed March 2007
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

This was heaven on earth. An amazing hotel. We just could not find fault. service was excellent. And when travelling long haul that matters we had a speedy check in and the room was so inviting after our long journey we had a bath tub and a shower and a beautiful view.

• Liked — The pool was so inviting
  • Disliked — this hotel had no faults
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!