“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Edinburgh
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2007

Me and my wife have just returned from our honeymoon where we spent the first 5 nights in the garden wing of the Shangri La hotel in Singapore. I had used trip advisor to choose this hotel and was I am pleased to say that this hotel lived up to the hype in all respects.

From check in through to exit this hotel was a dream and the rooms, breakfasts and blue bar were truly something to behold. Cannot recommend this place highly enough!

Far enough away from Orchard Rd to not hear the traffic but easily walkable although complimentry shuttle services are laid on throughout the day.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Taunton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

Having been born in Singapore I had to return for my 50th Birthday to see what it was all about.

We stayed in the Garden wing on our first visit, which was 3 days before going on to tour places in Malaysia. There was nothing else to compare with on that trip and we vowed to return and bring our daughter.

In 2006 we went back for 4 days and as I had phoned ahead to say that I was coming ,I was expected

What I did not expect was the upgrade to the Valley wing. this was Wow with bells on. The most wonderful service and attention to detail, we stayed whilst there was royalty from the middle east staying and we were treated as well as they were if not better.

They would spend hours with my young daughter doing her hair and playing games with her.

I have read the other reviews, and all the compliment are true, this is a wonderful place to stay and relax.

Breakfast in the Valley wing is like the best dining experience ever and I certainly rate it above the Savoy in London (sorry Gordon).

This year we are going back, Yes I can stay at a lower cost Hotel but the staff at the Shangri-La have earnt my loyalty and this time I am staying for 2 Whole weeks In theValley Wing.

Trust me You will not be dissapointed.

Stayed April 2006
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

The vicinity of the hotel is not what you would expect of a 5 star hotel, however once you alight from your car that feeling swiftly changes. We were met by numerous hotel staff who welcomed us to the hotel. The checking in process was highly efficient and as everybody else does we upgraded to the club floor, well worth the extra money.
Our room was spacious and luxurious withsplendid views if Singapore. The club floor was an added bonus, wonderful service and excellent food.
We have stayed in 5 star hotels throughout the world, the Shangri La in Singapore takes some beating, I would highly recommennd it to anyone.

Stayed December 2006
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2007

I upgraded to the Valley wing (before I left) as a result of previous reviews. Hotel was every bit as good as I hoped. Super room, fantastic bathroom, great service. Will return.

• Liked — Overall quality (accommodation, food, service, facilities)
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brit in Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

I used to live in SIngapore and I've also visited as part of many holidays and business trips. I've therefore stayed in many of the high-end hotels but this was my first time in the Shangri La. I enjoyed my stay and would come back but it didn't blow me away like some of the other hotels in Singapore have done.

Service - front desk was absolutely excellent. Check in and check out very quick with no problems and wonderfully friendly staff. However, the service at breakfast and at the Lobby Bar was poor. At breakfast, I was kept waiting ages before I was seated, they brought me coffee instead of tea, took ages to change it etc etc. In the Lobby Bar I timed it - I was kept waiting 25 minutes after ordering a cocktail and then it took them 15 minutes to bring me the bill after I asked for it.

Rooms - lovely. I stayed in the Garden Wing and my room was very big and had a lovely balcony which I sat on every afternoon. The bathroom was very spacious and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Pool - Nice pool but crowded. I was there for Chinese New Year and by 10am, they had run out of sunloungers and were therefore bringing chairs out of the conference rooms.

Food - pricey but good. Room service was very quick. Excellent choice at breakfast (sadly I didn't have enough space in my stomach to try everything).

Location - nice location in the leafy residential area of Singapore. Very short walk to Orchard Road. This is a good location if you want a relaxing stay, away from it all. It's better to stay by the river or Marina Bay if you want easier access to restaurants and bars.

All in all, this is a nice hotel but I think I slightly prefer the Ritz Carlton and Pan Pacific.

• Liked — Front desk staff, big rooms, nice balconies
  • Disliked — Slow service in the lobby bar, not enough sun loungers by pool
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bedford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

My wife and I arrived at the hotel on the first leg of a round the world holiday. Fortunately we were upgraded to the Valley Wing which was wonderful with beautiful rooms, spacious and extremely comfortable. The staff were so friendly, courteous and helpful and made you feel special. The hotel set a standard that we never achieved in any other hotel in Australia or USA. We cannot wait to go back as a stopover en route to Australia or New Zealand and would always recommend the Shangri La

• Liked — Luxurious with friendly helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2007

The Shangri La consists of three buildings: the Tower Wing: modern sleek business type rooms, the Garden Wing: Balconies overflowing with flowers and cane furniture and the classically luxurious Valley Wing - its flagship area.

I can only comment on the Valley Wing which has comparatively high prices but because of its high levels of service and luxury, never makes you feel as though you are being ripped off.

The rooms are huge with traditional decor and every amenity you would expect, whilst the bathrooms are out of this world - inset TV at the end of the bath, separate shower area, mood lighting and twin basins.

The Valley Wing has a separate entrance and check-in area which makes for a relaxing arrival, as it never seems to get overcrowded (apart from the day we had George Bush and his entourage of secret service men and general gofers staying there - but that is another story).

A complimentary - and delicious - breakfast is available in a charming circular glass walled room overlooking the gardens and drinks at the lobby bar are also complimentary on a 24hour a day basis.

Staff are charming, efficient and pleasing to behold and you are immediately made to feel special as you relax in your spacious room or in the glamorous lobby lounge.

There are several places to eat in the hotel complex: the Line is a new concept in eating. Upon entering a very modern urban setting - clean lines and minimalist colours - you can take your pick from a vast variety of cuisines and desserts all housed in separate areas for a set price. It is like an enormous, quirky, modern buffet gone crazy. It is efficient and quite an experience. If you want to eat sushi with curry - fine- visit both areas and take your pick.

Blue is an extraordinary restaurant situated at the top of the Tower Wing. Go up there for the amazing view and a drink - or better still, stay for a gourmet dinner and excellent service.

The pool area is a wondeful oasis when you consider that you are in the middle of a city. Palm trees and tropical flowers abound - but get there early as everyone else has the same idea. You are given cool wet towels for your face and fruit kebabs to refresh you , mid morning.

The hotel is situated in a quiet residential area - a 10 minute walk from one end of busy and noisy Orchard Road the main shopping area - enabling you to enjoy both the hustle and bustle of the city before retreating on foot to your oasis of calm in the Valley Wing.

If you want to be spoiled and treated like one of those Heads of State who always seem to be residing there - make a booking for the Valley Wing.

• Liked — attention to detail in all aspects of luxury and whims
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!