“Impressive, well situated with great staff” 5 of 5 stars

You added Shangri-La Hotel Singapore to your Saves list
Shangri-La Hotel Singapore
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22 Orange Grove Rd, Singapore 258350, Singapore   |
Ranked #5 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
“Impressive, well situated with great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

This is a BIG hotel but split into three distinct areas. The apartments that are also In close vicinity make it appear even larger so if you are looking for a petite boutique hotel this is not for you. That being said you can choose where to stay within the hotel to match your purpose....we chose the Valley Wing after reading some earlier posts. This is apparently the original part of the first Shangri-la and although it could do with some modernisation there is an exclusive feel to it. The staff are really good and amazingly pick up your name, likes and dislikes in a heartbeat. Cocktails and canapés in reception each evening are a great way to wind out but it does get quite busy.
Our room was spacious, comfortable and housekeeping very attentive - it was also extremely quiet apart from some construction work that was happening down the road and not connected to the hotel.
We only ate at two of the restaurants - our flight arrived very late in the evening so the only choice available to us on day one was The Line and I have to say it was very poor…and expensive. We were the only people there but the chicken had seen better days. By contrast the Japanese restaurant was superb. It was again pricey but one of the best Teppenyaki’s we have had. Breakfast was pretty good….until the weekend. I finally persuaded my wife to join me on our penultimate day having extolled the virtues of how polished and superb the service was - of course on this particular day it was far from so! Slow service and then the food arrived somewhat charred on one side and cold on the other!
With the main facilities including the pool, gym etc being shared by all sections of the hotel they became extremely busy. Indeed the pool area was so busy it was very difficult to find anywhere to sit - there were a lot of children so it would definitely suit a family vacation. In addition the pool area had some very vigilant lifeguards so that would be a comfort for parents of younger kids.
Overall a great hotel but we didn’t like the busy communal facilities. The staff however were fantastic and really made you feel welcome with the Valley Wing providing an oasis of calm. We would visit again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your review and lovely photograph of the amazing sunset! I am to know that you have enjoyed your stay at The Valley Wing, our ultimate sanctuary. However, your comments on your weekend experiences are concerning. May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can find out more details about your visit? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Vice President and General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

when i visit there with my mother, she was quite happey with lobby lounge.
nice and sincere service.
massive property, firm and safe room, good location, and exotic atmosphere.
every moment was worth.

Room Tip: regarding, room floor, higher is better. amenity scent like body lotion was not that pleasent.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Cholok

Thank you for sharing your review via Tripadvisor! I am glad to know that your mother and you have enjoyed your Shangri-La Experience. I look forward to welcoming both of you back soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have been visiting Singapore since the mid-1980s and have stayed at the Shangri La hotel there many times. Whilst there were no actual problems with the hotel on this visit, it is beginning to feel to me as though the hotel is past its best. Although I've probably visited a couple of dozen times over the past 30 years, my family has never been so I was eager to show the best of the City to them. Unfortunately, the Shangri La didn't quite deliver the "wow" factor I had hoped for.

On arrival (by taxi) we were greeted politely and our luggage was collected by the bell staff ready to be taken to our rooms. We had booked two Horizon Club rooms so we were escorted up to the Club lounge to check in, where we were offered drinks & snacks while the check-in process was completed. For some reason, it took quite a while which is a drag after a 13-hour flight. I don't like having to chase, especially something as trivial as check-in. I suspect the woman got side-tracked by a phone call and because we were sitting with drinks didn't think we were in a hurry.

The rooms were nice - we had a Horizon Club Premier double & our two teenage sons shared a Horizon Club Deluxe twin. Both rooms were a good size, but it turned out that the hotel's idea of a twin room was to add a put-you-up bed to a regular double room, so that one son got a huge double and the other got little more than a couch. The boys were fine about it, but it wasn't really my idea of a twin room. Overall, the room furnishings were up to the usual Shangri La standard but my wife felt that everything was a bit 'dated' or 'tired' looking. The bathrooms were very nice and the bed was comfortable. The desk was well-provided with power sockets & ethernet and the hotel provided free WiFi throughout our stay.

The only meal we ate in the hotel was breakfast. As Horizon Club guests we had a choice of using either the Horizon Club lounge at the top of the Tower, or the main restaurant on the Pool level. Because the boys like the choice of a large buffet, we chose the main restaurant. This was a bit of a zoo - for a 5-star hotel, the hard surfaces everywhere make it quite noisy (something I have noticed before when trying to have business breakfasts there); also staff were not all that quick to clear tables so towards the end of breakfast service there were a lot of dirty tables giving the place a poor feel. On a related note, unlike most Shangri La staff I have to say that the restaurant waiting staff were not up to standard - they didn't look happy to serve and sometimes brought us coffee etc with bad grace. The food was good - I think it's one of the best hotel breakfast buffets I've used, as there's an amazing array of choices.

The Club lounge is pretty good, and the canapes served in the early evening 'happy hour' were tasty. However, my wife & I were disappointed one evening to drop by the lounge after dinner (but before closing time) for a glass of wine, to find that housekeeping had already started cleaning -- who wants to drink champagne to the sound of the hoover? We complained and the desk staff said that because the lounge was empty they'd started early, but I really think that's bad. We went to the bar instead but the moment was spoiled a bit.

The gym & pool are good. I think the gym is 24-hours. The pool is a good size but a strange shape making lap swimming a bit of a challenge as there can be others trying to do the same thing in different orientation.

I think the location of the hotel is good - Orange Grove Road runs off of Orchard Road at one end (near Scotts Road & Tanglin Road). Consequently there are loads of shops, restaurants, bars and clubs within a short walk of the hotel (though remember, this is Singapore so during the day even a short walk can leave you drenched in perspiration!). But it's a little less 'buzzy' than staying on the main drag - this suits me as it means the hotel feels like a relaxing retreat at the end of the day, but I think my wife would have preferred somewhere a bit more modern in terms of decor & right on Orchard Road so she could step right out into the noise & bustle.

We had no problems during our stay, apart from the few niggles mentioned above - with the exception of the main restaurant, staff were invariably polite, helpful and friendly.

So, overall 'fine' but not 'wow'.

Dear Rus

Welcome back and many thanks for sharing your thoughtful review via Tripadvisor! Please know that feedback from loyal friends like yourself are very much appreciated. I am sorry that your Shangri-La Experience fell short of expectations this time. May I please request that you contact me directly so that I can understand more details about your family's visit? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I actually didn't stay at this hotel - my office had a mix up with reservations so I found myself at the front desk at midnight and being told that I actually had no reservation. Also, they were fully booked as there was a furniture conference going on! I'd like to write this review as the front desk lady was very kind and tried her best to find me a room at the hotel. When it was not possible, she helped me find a room at a nearby hotel instead. Such service deserves to be commended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your positive experience via Tripadvisor. I am heartened to learn about your encounter with my Reception colleague. Likewise, I agree that she should be commended. May I please request that you contact me directly with more details of your visit? My email address is: reto.klauser@shangri-la.com

I hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you on your next visit to Singapore.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is a five star hotel in every sense.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we where treated individually, with the staff learning our preferred greeting and happy to help with any enquiry. One of the things I liked was that the staff were allowed to take the time to talk to us and made us feel so welcome. This was our first time in Singapore and we were very happy with our choice. Like all 5 star hotels expect to pay the price that goes with the experience, but I feel we got good value.

finding the hotel: the hotel is 10 min walk from orchard road and subway, however we got an airport transfer which, although expensive was a nice piece of luxury to start the trip

parking: if you drive there is plenty of parking available.

reception arriving: great to leave all the luggage to the bell boys and the check-in was efficient, shown to our room and luggage unloaded

room: 777 in the Garden Suite, we didn't see any other rooms, and we were very happy with our choice.

size: a good size with sofa area and table and chairs a large balcony over looking the city

noise: on the whole was tranquil but there was some noise from the room above with people moving chairs etc

beds: for me this is the downside of our stay. What is it about hotels buying "orthopaedic" beds: it was rock hard and after a couple of nights I had hip-ache. However, on speaking to reception, an over mattress was put on which helped a bit. Linen changed daily - I love this.

heating/cooling: central aircon - 5 star 100% working and adjustable

bathroom: bath and separate shower cubicle, spacious and modern.

toiletries: own brand - satisfactory but not exceptional, however being topped up in evening if required was brilliant.

towels: large enough, also changed at night if needed

water: hot water plentiful and no problem with temperature. We used it for tea and coffee but plentiful complimentary drinking water supplied.

internet: complementary, excellent connectivity and about 10mB.

dining room: several dining rooms, the breakfast in the Line Café was amazing. I have truly never seen so much choice. From fruit including bespoke fruit juice if required; to full cooked breakfast, eggs cooked for you while you wait any style and all the English american varieties of breakfast items plus Chinese, Indian, Japanese selections. Fantastic start to the day.

Shang Palace Restaurant (Chinese) excellent food and service, a bit pricey but good value for money.

Nadaman (Japanese) we had Teppanyaki (cooked on grill in front of you) SEAFOOD COURSE "KOTO" which was wonderful and included a whole live lobster between us service was exceptional from our chef see picture.

Waterfall Restaurant: we had the most superb Sunday Brunch highly recommended. Service excellent and we got value from our choice of free flowing Champagne

facilities

gym: large gym on ground floor.

swimming pool: very large swimming pool open at 6am great time to go, before dawn and the rush of people.

entertainment: various entertainment was provided by the hotel and there are small bands playing in the lounge in the evening and at weekends.

reception leaving: arranged to see the bill on the last day and arranged speedy check-out.

Room Tip: High floors are generally quieter, on the city side 7th floor no noise from outside
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest

Many thanks for your heartwarming compliments via Tripadvisor! And for sharing your beautiful photographs. I especially like the artistic shot of Garden Wing's terraced balconies and the portraits of my team members. Please know that your positive and thoughtful feedback are very much appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming both of you back soon!

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our family of 5 (Parents, 2 teenagers & 22 Y/o) enjoyed a short 2night break at Shangri-La hotel, staying in rooms in both the Garden &Valley wings. All rooms were excellent, especially the Valley wing. We dined in the Japanese & Chinese hotel restaurants during our stay & all meals were delicious. The hotel has wonderful service standards & the staff are only too happy to help. It is very clean & well maintained. Location wise, it is in a quiet part of town but still central to everything. We would definitely love to re visit this beautiful hotel soon.

Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your compliments via Tripadvisor! I am happy to know that your family and you have enjoyed your experiences at the Garden Wing, Valley Wing, Nadaman as well as Shang Palace. I look forward to welcoming all of you back soon.

cape town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed in the main Tower, but on the Horizon Club level. Rooms are large, with comfortable beds. Spacious bathroom with all amenities. Excellent service in the Horizon Club. Well worth the money spent. The Health Club is very, very good! Prices in the hotel restaurants are through the roof expencive! But having Horizon Club access, we were treated to an amazing breakfast, sandwiches, scones and fruit in the afternoon and lovely hot finger food/ snacks in the evening including alcohol beverages from 6 till 8 pm. Overall we had a great time in Shangri La. The only downside is the pool. Too small for so many guests staying in three towers.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear guest

Many thanks for sharing your positive review via Tripadvisor! I am glad to know that your family and you have enjoyed your stay at the Horizon Club. Please be assured that I will share your positive feedback with the chefs from the club lounge.

I look forward to welcoming all of you back soon.

Vice President and General Manager

Been to Shangri-La Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!