“Simply The Best” 5 of 5 stars

Save 15% off Room Rates
Ranked #4 of 290 hotels in Singapore
“Simply The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

If you want to be pampered and be treat like a king or queen this is the place for you.
When we stayed about ten years ago, the President (USA) was also staying here and at the weekend the (Singapore) Prime ministers son was getting married here.
Surely if its good enough for them its fantastic for us.
I could I suppose write a book on this hotel (but read the other reviews) after all it was our 25 wedding anniversary and we wanted the Best and we got it!
Hope to get back in my lifetime its superb!
Stayed October 2001 (Although date of travel doesn't go back that far).

Room Tip: The higher the floor at the time you were given the opportunity to be a Horizon Club member which ga...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor! We welcome all comments but nostalgic ones like yours are especially precious. Your thoughtfulness in sharing your experience from October 2001 is much appreciated.

I'm glad to know that your 25th wedding anniversary was a happy one. Here's wishing you a happy 37th anniversary!

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again.

2,004 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 4 nights in their penthouse. It was absolutely fabulous. Of all the lovely places we have ever stayed, we have never experienced service at this level. Our butler went above and beyond to make our stay unforgettable. The place was beautiful and it even smelled good when we walked through the lobby. If you want to experience service at this level please try a Shangri-La. I would highly recommend this chain above all others. I always thought the Four Seasons, the Ritz-Carltons and the Penisulas were the best but not after staying here. Hopefully, we will be back again soon.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your recommendation! It means a lot to me. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay. The scent that you mentioned is called "Essence of Shangri-La". It is the signature scent at Shangri-La hotels.

I hope to welcome you and your family back to our hotel soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the beautiful Shangri-La in busy Singapore, it was a real treat.
The level of service was absolutely incredible, the most professional I have encountered. The room itself was beautiful, set within the Garden wing we walked by a mini rainforest with koi pond and waterfall in order to get to our room. We were also upgraded to a suite with a large outdoor entertaining area, BBQ, jacuzzi and seating. The high quality amenities were lovely - Bvlgari and L'occitaine added to the premium feel. Another fantastic feature was the amazing buffet breakfast, I have never seen such a varied international selection before. The tasty mix of Eastern and Western breakfast items was very hard to pick from so I ended up having Western on day one and Eastern on day two. While the sheer variety was amazingly the quality was not the best I have had. But this is forgiven for the scale they are cooking on.
The finishing touch on a fantastic stay was Cory Ann the service manager, she was such a delight. Sometimes professional service people can come across as a little robotic, but she let her own personality shine through and it was very refreshing.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SLSGM, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Ali

Thank you for sharing your compliments on Tripadvisor! I am delighted to know that you've enjoyed your stay in our Garden Wing Premier Balcony Suite as well as breakfasts at The Line. Most of all, I am touched by your compliments on Cory Ann. Please be assured that I will share them with her.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon!

jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Shangri-La Hotel was complete luxury. Attentive personell -the staff were amazing and I couldn't fault a thing. I felt like royalty. The selection at breakfast was amazing, restaurants were first class. I can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tim

Thank you for your positive review on Tripadvisor! I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming all of you back on your next visit!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I have just arrived home after a wonderful nine night stay at the Shangri la. We had booked a room in the newly renovated Garden Wing where we stayed for the first four nights. Check in was smooth and our room clean and a good size with a large balcony. We had breakfast at The Line where the food was very good and service very efficient. Everyone at this hotel is friendly and make you feel welcome. Nothing is too much trouble.

On our fourth day we decided to have a look at the Valley Wing rooms and facilities with a view to maybe booking a room here on our next stay. Well once we looked at the incredibly large room with dressing area and huge bathroom overlooking the pool we decided to upgrade for the remainder of our stay. We had a room on the 12th floor.

This was the best move we could have made. The Valley Wing is virtually a hotel within a hotel as it has it's own reception/check in area, entry, dining area for breakfast and lounge area where the champagne, cocktails, wine etc is available complimentary. The staff in the Valley Wing were exceptional. It was efficient while not being over the top. Raja and all the team were always there to be of service and help in any way they could.

High tea is served after 3pm and canapes from about 5pm each day. We really enjoyed our evening glass or two of bubbly/wine and a chat with those who served us. A very friendly atmosphere.

The pool area is large and again service very good. Plenty of loungers and towels available and places to sit slightly away from the pool if you want a quiet place to read a book.

The Waterfall Cafe is a great place to eat. We had dinner there several evenings and enjoyed each one. Food, wine and service was great.

My husband had two massages at the Chi Spa with Shandi. She was amazing. He has massages whenever we travel and said this was the best so far.

I could go on but suffice it to say this is a wonderful hotel with wonderful people and certainly one we will look forward to going back to.

Kerrie
Sydney

Room Tip: A Valley Wing room is definitely the way to go if you can, however, would possibly be a little quiet...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kerrie

Thank you so much for your great review! I am glad to know that you and your husband had the chance to experience both Garden Wing and Valley Wing. It is delightful to read about your positive experiences at each wing, Waterfall Cafe as well as CHI, The Spa. Please be assured that your compliments for Raja and Shandi will be shared with them.

I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Last month, my missus and I booked a 2 day 1 night staycation with the Shangri-La Singapore in the Garden Wing. We felt that the Garden Wing was a tranquiled choice for our stay, admist the bustling city life we are so accustomed to. Though the location of the hotel is not too convenient, I guess that is the price of tranquility. Upon arrival at the main lobby , we were greeted by the guest relations officers who were seemingly anticipating the arrival of their VIP guests. The ceiling of the main lobby was sky high, only to be matched by the massive crest which backdropped the reception counter. We walked back the bell counter and the Lobby Court before approaching the Garden Wing reception for check-in. We were attended by Chanel, a guest relations officer. During the check-in, she asked if we would like to become members of the hotel, named the Golden Circle. Why not , we thought. After signing up, Chanel led us to our pollview room on the 5th level. Along the way , she briefly introduced the hotel facilities to us. When we got to our room, the first impression was "wow, this is certainly a high-end resort type room" . Not that it was a bad thing , in fact my missus loved it. The theme of the room was appropriate, wooden flooring, wooden furniture, there was even a wooden made curtain window which was connected from the bathroom. It was able to open and close at will with the touch of the remote. The highlight would be the outdoor balcony , which showcased a magnificent view of the pool and some pretty lush greenery backdrop. Before leaving, Chanel asked if we will like a room upgrade to the Valley Wing for an additional difference on top of the existing room rate. We told her we would consider before she bade her farewell. We were well aware of the Valley Wing calibre - ministers, celebrities, foreign dignitaries would usually live in the Valley Wing when they visit the hotel. It was an exclusive stand alone wing , a whole seperate building by it own ; with its own driveway , reception counter, restaurant (known as the Summit Room) and a bar and lounge hall. Seemingly very posh and certainly did not come cheap. We loved the Garden Wing, where it seemed like a paradise of its own with the waterfalls , lush greenery, a nice pavillion area, etc etc. Then the poison hit us. We were curious about living in the Valley Wing - the hotel was ever voted the best business hotel in the world and we were guessing that the Valley Wing was the biggest trophy in their winning showcase. Eventually we made the move to the Valley Wing. We were allocated a room on the 17th floor, the highest floor - complete with balcony access. Everything we had ever heard about the legendary Valley Wing was true. And they were before our very eyes now. The carpetted room was magnificent - posh and elegant with nice alcove lights, crystal dandelions hanging from the ceiling, a massive writing table , a beautiful vanity mirror in between two long white pillars, nice cushioned sofas accompanied with lampshades, a nice comfy king sized bed, the bedrooom area was seperated from the closet and bath area by a wooden gate-like structure. The bathroom was gorgeous. A generous array of toiletries and bath amenities were decked neatly at the parlour area, in front of the bathroom mirrors. There was a bathtub with a small tv set positioned so that you could get some entertainment while you soak in that long bubble bath. Some bath salt was provided and placed along the edges of the tub. The toilet area was concealed behind a seperate door. Once inside, u will find a toilet bowl and a bidet on its opposite side. We were thrilled with the room, though I must stress that while it is not fair to compare a Volkswagen Beetle and a Ferrari; the Beetle is definitely on a class of its own - same applies for the Garden Wing room. When dinner came, we went to The Line which was situated in the Tower Wing - we too, had heard much about it and the buffet it served. Nearly two hours later, we left the line - it lived up to our expectations; nice food, nice outdoor seats by the corner, polite servers, there was a bar-like area within The Line but we did not venture there. After dinner we took a stroll around the Tower Wing..nice ballrooms / function halls , a business centre on the first floor, a famous tailor shop , a pastry / cake shop. On lobby level there was a limousine / valet counter opposite the hotel gift shop. The Rose Veranda which was directly above the Lobby Court , seemed a cosy area for tea. The swimming pool was surprisingly packed with people at that time. We returned to our Valley Wing lounge for some champagne and whiskey. It was supposedly a free flow package inclusive of the room rate. By now, my missus and I noticed that while the Valley Wing staff were helpful , there seemed to be a lack of genuinity. Body language speaks volumes. Sure, the place is extravagent and all, but is this a case of "all that glitters is Cold"? After the drinks, we went back to our room. I rang up housekeeping to get our shoes shone. Shortly after, someone showed up and collected our shoes. I also asked for additional bottles of drinkjng water. Some twenty minutes or so, he returned with the shoes and the bottled water. The shoes were professionally done , the shine glistering beneath the lights. We caught some tv before dozing off. The next morning we ate at The Summit Room ; which was exclusively for Valley Wing guests. The variety of the food on the buffet lines were not much so we ordered the ala carte. Overall it was a private dining experience, with only few residents in there. I must commend one of the servers, Jauhar (if I got the spelling correctly) on his professionalism. He was attentive and very polite. The other servers seem to suffer the same lack-of-genuity syndrome as the other staff we encountered the night before. After breakfast we went shopping in Orchard and had lunch before returning to the hotel. Before we checked out, we had high tea at the Valley Wing lounge before leaving via express check-out. Overall verdict on our stay : We would liken staying in the Valley Wing to staying in a palace - it was indeed a very private and exclusive wing within the hotel. The entire layout of the wing was grand and gave the impression that it was fit for royalty. The staff had probably served many VIPs and maybe even royalty in the past - but consistency of service should be matched with passion and unprejudice (implying even if your guests are just normal people). Other than this, the Shangri-La literally lived its legend straight out from fable.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest

Many thanks for your positive review on Tripadvisor! Your beautifully-written compliments for the Garden Wing and Valley Wing are very much appreciated. Please be assured that your observation about the Valley Wing's service team is well noted. I will look into it personally.

I look forward to welcoming you and your wife on your next staycation with us!

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed as a family here and it was excellent. From the moment you step out of the taxi, the service is brilliant and professional.

The breakfast buffet is huge and has a lot of variety. It was very busy while we were there, sometimes it was difficult to get service or cutlery, and the restaurant staff didn't seem to understand much English, but that was our only complaint. We had dinner at the buffet restaurant one night and were not overly impressed, but thoroughly enjoyed the chinese restaurant.

We had Horizon Club rooms and really enjoyed the a la carte breakfasts in Blu Restaurant which were beautifully presented. Service was a lot more personalised up there, and staff spoke perfect english. The quality of the food and cocktails during the evening (included in our room price) was excellent, and we enjoyed having devonshire tea in the lounge (also included) some afternoons.

Our rooms were large and luxurious. The cleaning service is meticulous and there are nice touches like poems and chocolates left on your freshly made bed.

The pool area is quite nice, I wouldn't say a highlight but it is more than adequate and has an outdoor jacuzzi which is nice for colder days.

The hotel is located a little way off Orchard Road and the main shopping drag, but it is an easy 10 minute walk on safe pedestrian paths to get there and the hotel also offers a free shuttle service every hour which we used without any problems.

The concierge was helpful with restaurant and sightseeing recommendations. Overall we were very impressed and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Horizon Club rooms cost more but the benefits were worth it for us!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor! I am happy to learn that you and your family enjoyed the Horizon Club and Shang Palace. Please be assured that your comments on The Line has been well noted.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel soon.

Manfred Weber

Been to Shangri-La Hotel? Share your experiences!