“Shame about the breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free!
Ranked #7 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
uk
“Shame about the breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2007

Great rooms, location and staff, was not impressed with the breakfast.

Stayed January 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

To date, all of my expense account visits at the SIN FS have been most satisfactory. (Well, not one to complain, provided "someone else," is paying.)

Given my supreme stature within my fine firm, the "Superior" (and on occasion, "Deluxe") room categories are for the taking. They serve their purpose: convenient for work, broadband, king-size bed, and in-room massage treatments until 11 pm. (Although, the Four Seasons Bangkok - my all-time favourite "urban" FS property - offers most relaxing in-room treatments until 2 am.)

Have always had the best times with business colleagues and new/old friends in the FS bar ("One-Ninety"). One particularly sweet evening at the FS last year, I pulled a little prank on another colleague: this gentleman had a habit of flying a "lady friend" in from Bangkok on a "budget carrier," and telling her he was flying the same low-cost airline. So, during one of his visits to the wash room, I confided to his angel that he actually flew Raffles (Business) Class on Singapore Airlines ... well, upon his return to the table, his little paramour "let him have it." It was so sweet; one of those moments that makes business travel all worthwhile ... (to atone for his sins, he was obliged to buy a rather dear Hermes purse for his dearest.)

Well, happy hijinks aside, the SIN FS remains one of the best, part of my personal business travel top-eight: Tokyo Park Hyatt, Bangkok Peninsula, Bangkok Four Seasons, HK Island Shangri-La, Bangkok Oriental, Bangkok Shangri-La, and yes, the centre of the known universe, the Bangkok Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

Almost forgot to mention the horrifying (financial) conclusion to our '06 honeymoon at the SIN FS. (The majority of the Asian matrimonial monetary damage was inflicted via wedding ceremony/reception/fireworks/suite/, at the Bangkok Oriental, followed by another rather spacious suite at the BKK Peninsula.) During our tender honeymoon times at the SIN FS, we never left the property, thanks to judicious quantities of a certain performance-enhancing drug, La Perla lingerie, and my all-time favourite Barry White CD. (Gentlemen, if you knew how my wife can destroy a luxury shop in short order, you would do the same.)

Love Singapore, love doing business in Singapore, and love the Singapore Four Seasons ... (But just between us: I consider the Bangkok Four Seasons to be a far better value, and I prefer Tokyo, Hong Kong, and most certainly, Bangkok (our new home), to Singapore ... but nothing - not even Cathay Pacific, First Class - will ever touch a certain Singaporean airline ... personal reasons, mind you.) ...

macintosh (robert)

... "In this ever changing world, Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly" ...

Stayed January 2007
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

I've stayed at the Four Seasons Hotel Singapore three times on business trips and always find it a calm, welcoming place to drop suitcase at the end of an 11 hour flight. Rooms are a good size, both bed and bath. The toiletries offered are good quality.
Nice touches are bookmark-sized fables on your pillow at turn down and a jack to plug your MP3 player in.

You're within five minutes stroll of Orchard Road MRT station, or a taxi down to the Raffles Quay area will be around $10 SGD. From the airport, it's about 25 minutes and around $25SGD in a taxi.

Pros - clean, smart decor in the rooms, good size. Polite staff with efficient check in and check out. Excellent chinese restaurant.

Cons - have noticed the quality of room service food going down a little with each stay (or am I just getting fussy?). Lousy range of TV channels - if you're there on your own, take a good book.

Having to check out in the morning and then do a day in the office before a 10pm flight home, a nice touch is that they'll store your luggage and welcome you back in the evening to grab a shower in the 3rd floor sports club. My advice - pack a LITTLE bag with your shower kit and change of clothes for this - the final approach to the club is up a flight of stairs, and there simply isn't locker space for a full size suitcase in there.

Stayed November 2006
San Francisco California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

This was the second time I stayed at this hotel for vacation with my wife and 2 kids.

Our first visit was outstanding and I raved about our stay to all my friends. I rated our first stay 99 out of 100 - the only shortcoming was the concierge that was mediocre. Everything else was perfect and we were extremely happy with our stay.
It is because we sere so happy with our first experience that
we came back and stayed for 5 nights.

Unfortunately our second visit was not as good as our first visit
because the quality of their service had dropped significantly.

First the good:

Outstanding room & price
Like our first visit, we also got a suite the second time.
Both times I thought the rooms were excellent and the
price was outstanding. For the money, I felt that I got a fantastic
bargain for a hotel of this caliber.

Loved the restaurants - outstanding food.
Had breakfast every morning at the 190 - I thought it was excellent.
Had New Year's eve dinner at Jiang-Nan Chun - food was outstanding and I really liked it.
Had New Year's day brunch - also outstanding and very pleased
with the food.

The disappointment:

I repeatedly was disappointed by the service of some of the staff members:
At check-in the drinks we ordered were not delivered.
Incredibly I had to call them twice to remind them to bring us our drinks. I could not believe this. Was I staying at the Holiday Inn?
I emailed a complaint to the hotel manager and he apologized and offered to send me some wine and caviar. This was a very nice gesture on his part and I appreciated it - but since my wife and I did not drink wine and did not like caviar I asked him if he could send us something else instead. Some tea and cookies would be fine. Well guess what happened? He sent me the wine and caviar anyway - how disappointing.

The service at the restaurant on sepearate occasions was terrible.
On New Year's eve I had dinner at the restaurant. I was there with my family and my brother and his family. I was the oldest of the group. Amazingly there were no plates, utensils, or glass where I sat and no one bothered to get me anything! Did the staff think I was just there to watch my family eat? I sat there waiting to see if any of the staff would do anything. Unfortunately not - so I asked for the manager who then got me a setting. I then asked
for a glass of water - surprise surprise - it never came.
Everyone else at the table got their drinks except for me.
They got drinks for the kids but nothing for Dad. I have never been to a restaurant in my life where the waitress did ot ask me what I wanted to drink. I was the one paying for the dinner and the
staff ignored me. Needless to say I was upset and called the manager to ask her why ther staff had such a hard time getting me a simple glass of water. Fortunately the food was excellent and helped compensate for the terrible service.

During breakfast one morning at the 190 the staff also just
acted as if my son and I were not there. I am a very understanding and patient person - I accept the fact that no one is perfect - but the restaurant was not that busy and the staff
kept going to the tables around me but always passed by
my table without looking at us or asking us if we needed anything. I finally had to ask for the manager and complain to him. What garbage service. If I was staying at a cheap hotel
I would not have been so disappointed, but I expected a lot more
from the Four Seasons.

Each time I got poor service, I was polite, pleasant, and well dressed - so there was never a reason for the staff to serve me so poorly. Maybe because I was not causcasian the staff did not feel it was important to provide me with the level of service that the Four Seasons is well known for.
The concierge was also not very warm and friendly for some reason. One evening when it was quiet I went to the desk to speak with the concierge to introduce myself and to get some tips from him. I was polite and pleasant but unfortunately the Concierge did not seem interested in speaking with me even though I was the only person there. He was just luke warm and seemed like he was not interested in speaking with me.

Next time I go to Singapore I will try the Fullerton or the Rtiz.

• Liked — The price for the Suites - I think the price is very good.
  • Disliked — The service from the staff was mixed - some good and some bad
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Four Seasons Singapore last month - November 2006 - as "bookends" on a trip to Cambodia. For the first stay, we requested and received an early check-in due to our flight arrival at 11am. After arriving at Changi Airport, we took a 20 - 25 minute taxi ride to the hotel.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were quickly greeted by the bellhop staff. Entering the lobby area, the hotel restaurants are located to the left and the concierge, a sitting area, and registration desk to the right. During check-in, we were welcomed by the Operations manager and informed by the front desk that we were upgraded to a corner room with a view. The reception desk representative then escorted us all the way to our room and conducted a quick walkthrough with us - which was a nice personal touch.

The room was bright, airy, and clean and did have a nice view towards Orchard Road. The room had a similar interior design (light yellow color, brown marble bathroom) as the FS San Francisco. The FS provided a welcome card and small plate of fruits on the table. For our second stay, we were offered a small plate of confections. Unlike other hotels and resorts in Asia where beds tend to be on the rock-hard side, the FS bed was comfortable for sleeping. Since the hotel is located off Orchard Rd., there's not a lot of traffic noises to keep us awake or crowds to deal with.

During our second stay, we were upgraded to a suite. The reception desk assistant escorted us again to our room. The suite was a corner room and, being a suite, obviously had separate living and sleeping areas. The suite also had a separate guest bathroom off the living room area. Even though the suite has a larger floor area than our 1st room, I'm not sure if it would have been worth the extra dollars is worth the incremental benefits.

Since both of our stays were very short, we did not have the opportunity to experience the spa or the other hotel facilities unfortunately. However, our second stay encompassed a Sunday so we had to try their famous Sunday brunch. We normally do not frequent buffets but we both agreed afterwards FS' was excellent and would certainly recommend. We had a reservation for the 11am seating. The buffet selection was absolutely impressive: separate tables for fresh fruit juice + smoothies, Southeast Asian / Perankan entrees, Chinese entrees, Italian pasta, a made-to-order grill, sushi, cold plates / appetizers, and an outside BBQ for steaks, roasts, and sausages. And the desserts covered around 3 to 4 tables themselves! All the entrees were freshly prepared and flavorful. At each food station, there was usually a chef to prepare the entrees in front of you; This prevented the under-the-heat-lamp-for-hours or bland taste you may have experienced at other buffets. Just make sure to take a hearty appetite with you and make reservations ahead of time.

We generally like to stay on the east coast side when visiting Singapore due to close proximity to our favorite restaurants and stores but the location of FS Singapore was convenient also. Taxi fares are pretty cheap in Singapore so being located on the east coast versus Orchard doesn't make too much of a difference. There's also the convenient MRT. Even though the FS hotel is physically not located on the central portion of Orchard Rd., it's very easy to get to the main section since there is a hallway connecting the FS and the Singapore Hilton. If you walk through the hallway to the Hilton, you'll end up around 2 - 3 blocks aways from Ngee Ann City mall.

During previous trips to Singapore, we've stayed at different hotels: the ex-Westin Stamford, Swissotel, Raffles Plaza, and Mandarin Oriental. In comparison, the FS Singapore rooms are showing some slight wear, especially the furniture. The renovated rooms of the Mandarin Oriental are wonderfully designed and decorated: modern, sleek Asian theme, and deep colors. The rooms at the Raffles Plaza also underwent remodeling a few years ago. Hopefully FS Singapore will follow suit in the future to keep up with the local competition.

On the other hand, I have to say the FS Singapore staff were much more friendly and provided a higher degree of customer service than the other Singapore hotels we have stayed at. Since we would be returning to the FS Singapore in a week, we left a piece of luggage with the concierge. The FS dilligently stored it for us and thoughtfully placed it in our room before we arrived the second time.

The other minor issue was that the FS, surprisingly, allows smoking in the lobby sitting area. Consequently one of the first thing you notice when entering the lobby and check-in area is the odor of cigarette smoke. It would have been nice for FS to not allow smoking so all of its guests can enjoy the sitting area.

After mentioning on a survey that it would be great to have bottled water on the nightstands (after turndown service), the General Manager responded to us that they would have this service starting in Jan 07. So they are listening to suggestions.

Both our checkouts were efficient and smooth. After calling the porters, a taxi was always ready, pre-loaded with our luggage, and waiting for us to take us to the airport. Even though the taxis were the normal city cabs, the FS always made sure the taxi drivers ask us whether the temperature or radio settings was adequate (much like the airport transfers when you stay at a FS resort). Again, a nice personal touch by the FS.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay due to the typical FS high level of customer service, the great Sunday brunch, and close proximity to Orchard Road. We'll be travelling to Singapore again in April and while we love the Mandarin Oriental's interior design and style, we'll probably stay at the FS Singapore due to the much better service level.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2006

This is easily the best hotel in Singapore. Efficient staff, flawless and attentive service, best concierge in town, great fitness centre and tennis courts... the list just goes on and on. I stay here every single time I visit Singapore, and have never been disappointed.

The location on Orchard Blvd is ideal - it is much quieter than Orchard Road, but sacrifices very little in convenience and ease of access to it. The link to the Hilton Hotel (which is situated on Orchard Road) is a great added convenience in this respect.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2006

This is a superb hotel. We stayed from 26th Oct - 30th Oct 2006. The staff cannot do enough for you.
The rooms were spacious and catered for everything you would want.
The pool and club lounge on the 3rd floor are a great way to chill out away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Try the spa.

I do have three things that annoyed me though.

First, the price of the water in the mini bar.

Second, I did not like the restaurant layout. Food is excellent but people can walk past you coming in from the shops or bar as there is only a small wall dividing the restaurant from the public area. The restaurant is not relaxing in anyway shape or form.

Third is nothing to do with the hotel but the guests. I know you pay for good service but I am fed up with people who think they are above everybody else and treat the staff badly. Even speaking to them in a derogatory manner.
For what you get here for the price is fantastic but I would only return if someone else booked as I cannot be around such rude people and that's the guests I am talking about.
The staff are excellent in all parts of this hotel.

This hotel is in a good location situated just off Orchard rd and connected to the Hilton via a small shopping mall. Entrance between bar and restaurant.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The restaurant area
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy bottled water outside. They charge a fortune
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!