“Great location, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Hong Kong, China
“Great location, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

It always frustrates me to see hotels get the basics wrong, especially when they have been mentioned by several reviewers recently and they'd be so easily fixed. I still don't understand why the people that run these places don't seem to be able to see things from the point of view of a guest and rectify accordingly. But I digress.

The M-Hotel looks like an older property that has been given a pretty nice facelift recently and is in a great location if you want to be in the Singapore CBD, which is where my office is located. The first impression from the doorman and check-in were good and the guy who brought up my bags was chatty and just lovely and welcoming. Our room was also spacious and nicely appointed. Apart from one room service experience (which was just ok), we didn't eat at the hotel at all during the week we stayed.

Everything about the stay (my husband came along with my on a business trip) was just fine, but the housekeeping and bathroom experiences were frustrating. As a westerner, I like to use a face cloth (aka 'face towel') and there were none on arrival. We asked to have some delivered and they duly arrived ... and were then taken away and not replaced by housekeeping the next day. So asked for some to be delivered ... and repeat. We ran out of toilet paper and had to ask for more. We ran out of soap and had to ask for more. There was only every one bar of soap and if you needed it to wash your hands it was in the shower and if you needed it for your shower it was at the sink. If they gave you another bar on request, they took the old one away.

The shower was small and very awkward to get in and out of, so it was frustrating realizing you needed the soap and then maneuvering in and out of the shower to get it. The shower also leaked all over the floor and you had to use a handtowel to mop it up each time. The area round the sink was tiny and I had bits and pieces of make-up and product stuck all over the place. There was also the (previously mentioned by another reviewer) problem of one rubbish / garbage bin, which was located in the bathroom - annoying if you made a cup of tea and needed to get rid of the rubbish.. into the bathroom. The bed was also incredibly uncomfortable and lumpy - I didn't sleep well the entire time I was there, even though it was nice and quiet.

We did visit the pool and gym area and this looked very nice and the overall look of the hotel and service was just fine for a mid / high price hotel. We had arranged for WiFi so we could work while there and this was fine, if not a bit annoying that you had to log in again every hour or so. When you're staying more than a few days and just want things to work when you need them, the little things really matter and I think the M-Hotel need to focus on some of those to keep their customers happy. I am not sure that I would choose to return.

646 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I am half way through a two month stay at the M Hotel and so this is a ‘work in progress’ report. My last stay was at a serviced apartment but for cost reasons the company moved me to the M Hotel. The serviced apartment was great but I have to say that the M Hotel is much better for me.

One of the problems with the serviced apartment was that it was stuck in a residential enclave and so enjoying the delights of Singapore meant planning and taxis. The M Hotel is in a great location next to the Tanjong Pagar MRT station and so the whole of Singapore is within easy reach.

I had read some of the previous reviews and was a bit concerned about some aspects of the Hotel. All I can say is that four weeks into my stay I am absolutely delighted my company insisted I move to the hotel. Of course it’s ideal for my work being just a 10 minute walk from the office. I read about how ‘isolated’ it was in other reviews and was worried about being stuck in a dead financial district outside working hours. Actually it’s only a 10 minute walk in various directions to hawker centres, the MRT, shopping and Chinatown.

I’m staying in a clubroom floor so my opinions are based on what you get for this level of accommodation. I’ve read some reviews that talk about unfriendly service but I have never experienced this. The Club floor staff are absolutely wonderful and attentive but so are all the cleaners, the concierge, the reception and the restaurant(s) staff. Most don’t know I’m ‘club’ so I can’t be getting special treatment because of that.

I don’t understand the ‘Ikea’ comments in other reviews. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and I LOVE the huge work desk with all the power points and comfortable chair. I spend a lot of time working in my room and it’s great not to feel cramped or trying to work from a cramped workspace put in as an afterthought.

The club lounge is a delight and I love the attentive service at breakfast before heading to the office or the relaxing drink and snacks as I get back from the office. I’ve also used the 2000 restaurant, J Bar and Hokeido restaurant in the hotel and they were all good too. But although I am in Singapore on business I have many local Singaporean friends and I love the fact that the hotel is so centrally located that I can get to any part of Singapore by MRT or bus so easily. The danger of staying in a quality hotel like this is that you insulate yourself from the real Singapore. But even if you don’t know any locals yourself, the hotel staff are eager to share information on how to get to local or tourist attractions.

Maybe after another month I’ll have a different view but I can’t imagine why. I thought after my previous stay at a serviced apartment that I’d go back there but now I know that my return stay will be at the M Hotel.

No down sides? Well as some previous posts have said, the showers are a bit on the small side. I’d prefer they got rid of the baths and had a large walk in shower. But having said that, I’m no beanpole and the shower isn’t an issue for me. All I know is that after a month I have no negatives to report.

Room Tip: The harbour view rooms are great if you like watching the non-stop activity at the port, the cruise...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MHotelSing, Hotel Management at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear sahaScotland,

It is such a tremendous pleasure having read your fantastic and insightful review, especially in knowing that you particularly enjoyed the “great location”, “spacious and comfortable room” and the delightful Club Lounge benefits and services accorded.

Thank you very much for your kind compliments and for giving credit where it is due. We are deeply appreciative of your feedback. Your motivating words will only serve to further enhance our hospitality standards, as we endeavour to maintain consistently high levels of guest satisfaction.

We trust the remaining duration of your stay will be as pleasurable, if not even more enjoyable.

We hope to remain the choice hotel for your future business or leisure trips to Singapore and we love to have you back and being of service to you again.
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This hotel perfectly satisfied our requirements on my husband's last business trip. We had a package that included access to the executive lounge. This was a comfortable place to relax with great late afternoon snacks ("snacks" is understating it significantly - these hors d'oeuvres were tasty, well presented and plentiful!). Free cocktails too - yippee!!

Our buffet breakfasts were also in this lounge. I was disappointed by the quality of the food for breakfast in comparison to other hotels of this class. Unfortunately it was often cold an lacked imagination. Thankfully the omelets and scrambled eggs were cooked for you on request!

Staff were always very pleasant and accommodating. The rooms were a bit on the small side for the extra price we paid.

All in all the hotel didn't blow me away, but didn't disappoint either.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MHotelSing, Hotel Management at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Hambly11,

It is wonderful to know that you thought the M Hotel to have “perfectly satisfied” your husband’s business trip.

We are elated to hear that you enjoyed the Club Lounge amenities and found our staff to be “very pleasant and accommodating”. Our staff would be delighted on knowing that their tireless efforts in ensuring high guest satisfaction, have been duly appreciated.

We have also taken note of your feedback regarding breakfast, please rest assure we will make improvements accordingly.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband to stay with us and experience the M Hotel hospitality again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed on Christmas eve at club room on the club lounge floor. Breakfast & cocktail were conveniently at the peaceful club lounch. The staff were friendly and attentive, they were also swift in clearing plates and ensuring we have coffee in our cups. I really enjoyed the lovely breakfast! We had dinner at The Buffet, it was marvelous. After dinner we headed out & was glad that it is only 5-10min walk from Tanjong Pagar mrt. Our room was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed December 2012
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel was a very quiet and comfortable , within easy reach of all the attractions you would wish to visit,the metro station Tanjong Pagar was just around the corner.
Get a three day ticket for the metro this is very good value
We did not eat in house as this was quite Just expensive but we found a excellent restaurant two blocks down who did a great breakfast .
Julst across the road there is an indoor shopping mall which looks like a office block check this out for shopping
Chinatown was just down the block and the restaurants there were very good ;but check if they are busy , don't go in if is easy to get table

Room Tip: High floor very good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jane1255,

Thank you for your lovely review, it is wonderful to know that you considered the M Hotel to be “comfortable” and “within easy reach of all attractions”.

Indeed, the M Hotel location is advantageous as it is only a short 5-minute walk from the Tanjong Pagar MRT station, where major attractions can be accessed via the MRT lines.

As we aim to be a home away from home to our guests, hence comfort has always been one of our differentiating factors.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

i've been a frequent business traveler for many years with experience staying from 5-star luxurious hotels to the very basic one in the middle of nowhere. M Hotel is by far the worst in terms of my business traveling experience. With its 5-star hotel high price, the attitude of staffs was very bad and unprofessional and the design and equipment of the room is totally silly and outdated. I've stayed in this hotel a few times when I traveled to Singapore only because it's so close to my office. But the room looks old and not as clean as it should be for the price the hotel charges. It doesn't provide small towels for hand wash. No working desk for you to work, very uncomfortable if you have to work in front of your laptop. No international adapter available for the whole hotel if your electronic device can't use the Singapore plug though there's international plug you can use near your bed. But this means you always have to use your device/laptop sitting in bed!!! how silly the design is!
No turn-down service. The service responded to my request was also slow. At similar price, you can stay in Pan Pacific Hotel with much better experience!

Dear quincykchen,

We regret to hear that your stay with us was not ideal and apologize for the shortfall in the service delivery. Rest assure that your feedback will be taken seriously and reviewed for appropriate counter-measures.

We hope this incident do not mar your impression of the M Hotel Singapore and the hospitality that we can offer.

We wish you could have informed our Guest Relations officer on the unsatisfactory areas of the room to facilitate necessary action to rectify these issues immediately.

We hope to have the chance to restore your faith in us and look forward to welcoming you to experience the true hospitality of the M Hotel Singapore.
Depok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hotel location is perfect for traveling around Singapore. Easy access by mrt, also close to raffles area. Merlion park area can be reached by walk as well as Harbour Front port and is near to sentosa island/universal studios (USS). Its not a family hotel but the facility and services were up to standard. Room is clean and toilet is big enough. Kids can swim in the pool although a bit small.

There are convenient stores and a shopping plaza nearby to buy foods, xchange money etc. Staffs are great, we got a free room upgrade to M-Club without any request. As we spent the whole day at USS, our big luggage were safely stored at the concierge. Thanks M hotel.

- No open free wifi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Nier92,

Thank you so much for your insightful review. It is our pleasure knowing that you enjoyed the convenience of the hotel location, the well-maintained room as well as the warm service accorded during your recent stay with us.

Your kind words are deeply appreciated and we endeavour to continually offer high hospitality standards to our discerning guests.

We hope to remain your choice hotel for future visits to Singapore and look forward to welcoming you soon.

Been to M Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!