“Lovely Room but Wifi NOT free” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 20%
Ranked #112 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Cork, Ireland
“Lovely Room but Wifi NOT free”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Free wifi does not mean free in the M Hotel Singapore....Check what rates you have and all the small print*!

On the positive - The room is very nice, the location was great for my stay/work. Lots of great eateries around and also Chinatown in walking distance. Room has great amenities and is clean.

(*I didn't realize when I booked online that the information that came up about the hotel i.e. the write up, said that Wifi was free. That's one of the main reasons I booked the hotel (location was the other).
However when I checked in I was told by reception that my room rate was 'room only' and this did not include wifi. Didn't read that anywhere. All the other hotels I have stayed in with room only (many around the around the world) wifi was always included.Sure they offered me a discount if you buy for a week or so, but that was not the point. Don't advertise if you are not going to offer it. Was disappointed by this experience).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - there is a banquet hall and disco in the hotel so you might be the unfortunat...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MHotelSing, Hotel Management at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear zumayla,

Thank you for your review. We are heartened that you consider our well-furnished room, amenities and centralized location to be highly satisfactory.

However, we are concerned with your disappointment with the wifi arrangement; we regret to have caused confusion in any way. Allow us to clarify that our wifi comes with a charge - this is indicated on the booking page of our website, under room details.

We do however like to share that complimentary wifi is inclusive in our Club and Suite rooms, amongst other exclusive benefits. Hence, we love to welcome you back and perhaps stay in one of our cozy Club rooms to experience the well-appointed Club benefits.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

M Hotel is an ok business hotel and reasonably convenient to the Robinson Road / One Raffles Quay / Raffles Place business districts (short taxi or 10min walk). The area is very quiet on week ends.

The ordinary rooms are small and not great value.

I would recommend asking for an upgrade to the Club Level - where the rooms are more what you would expect for the price. As mentioned in other reviews there are some nice ocean views from one side of the hotel!

Breakfast is ok - with large choice.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear CF8,

Thank you for your good review. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our well-appointed Club room and its complementary Club benefits. Indeed, the harbour view from our rooms is highly coveted and is beautifully juxtaposed to the neighbouring skyscrapers. With that, we look forward to welcoming you back again for another wondrous stay at the M Hotel Singapore.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our member of family mistakenly booked the hotel some days earlier than we planned to. We called M Hotel to rebook it to the day that we intend and since they do not have availability we changed it to the month after and they helped us to rebook it.

Check-in was quite slow and we were initially given rooms at three different levels, however they managed to find us 2 rooms on the same level and another one at a higher level. They also upgraded one of the rooms in the same level so it was very nice of them.

The first room (my room) was not the most spacious but OK. The decor was quite outdated and can benefit a lot from refurnishing. The upgraded room was spacious. Sadly the third room on the higher floor was quite small and even smaller than the room that I stayed in. The breakfast was provided (must be included in our rooms) and was nice and had quite a lot of varieties.

We stayed with our grandmother who was in a wheelchair. Upon arrival at the back of the lobby (very unsure which one was the main entrance, the one on the small lane or the big road?) and it was very wheelchair accessible from that side. However the taxi stand was actually on the other side of the lobby (big road entrance) and it was not wheelchair accessible at all (there was a small step from the lobby then a 4-5 stairs down to the pedestrian). That would mean that we had to push the wheelchair from the back entrance to the big road entrance (and it was not pedestrian friendly either, there was a big carpark and trucks would stop by on the road).

Concierge was helpful in booking us a table at Jumbo Seafood Restaurant.

So overall, it was just an OK hotel, I'd give it a 4 star because they upgraded my room, breakfast was nice and location was close to the Tanjong Pagar MRT station (5 minutes walk).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MHotelSing, Hotel Management at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Michelle A,

Thank you for your great review. We are pleased that you found the M Hotel hospitality to be highly satisfactory and enjoyed the hearty breakfast and well-appointed room. Without a doubt, the ideal location and close proximity to the Tanjong Pagar MRT station and a bus stop just across our hotel put us in good stead with ease of accessibility to major touristy attractions via public transport.

Please do not hesitate to request for assistance from our Concierge should you need help with getting your grandmother a taxi. Our friendly Concierge desk would gladly assist in any way they can. Thereby, we hope to be your choice hotel for future visits and we look forward to welcoming you back.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have stayed here earlier and the rooms are nothing to write home about. But it is very close to my office, hence the location suits me.

I reached just after noon but had to wait as they said my room was not ready. My travel agent had informed I would reach only about 3.

So I went for lunch and came back after 45 mins and the room was still not ready. I got “upgraded” in a superior deluxe room with no benefits. Room was average size and no great view. So, didn’t feel upgraded at all. Rooms look old and reek of fatigue - in dire need of a re-do.

Breakfast is regular fare and nothing great. But enjoyed lunch at the Japanese restaurant. Recommend that for a quick lunch.

Staff was efficient but I have seen friendly and efficient staff in other places. Here they seemed to be just doing their job – not expected this in the hospitality industry.
For the price they charge, I would definitely expect a better deal.

The only thing going for them is the location. I would look for other options in the area the next time.

Dear lone-dreamr,

Thank you for making us your choice hotel, we hope your stay had been fruitful. We have taken note of your areas of concern and we will review and seek improvements accordingly. We appreciate your feedback which allows us to continually better ourselves in striving towards excellence. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I flew into Singapore for an interview and would be there for about 38 hours. I emailed them and said pls could I check in early and be able to re-iron my shirt.

Wasn't able to when I got there, and they emailed me to say it was unlikely. However remarkably when I paid to upgrade my room there was availability... strange that ;-)

I asked the concierge for some local (nearby) restaurants. He suggested McDonalds.... not impressed.

The room was spacious, the bed comfy and pillows great. All important things for a room.

However the Evian bottles of water that looked complimentary were not.

They were also £8.50 for 1 bottle!!! DISGUSTING. Should have been free given the cost of the room.

There are 2 bottles of water that are complimentary and they are tucked away...

It is about a 5/10 minute stroll from the MRT.

Room service menu is a bit weak also.

Dear bigpoppapump82,

We are glad you liked our spacious room, comfortable bedding and the ease of convenience of the M Hotel Singapore. As much as we would love to fulfill every room request, we regret that your request of early check-in could not be realized due to high occupancy rate and unavailability of the particular room type you booked for, at that point of time. Nonetheless, we trust your stay had been a fruitful one and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Klang, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Reading the hotel's website can be a bit misleading. It isn't a luxurious hotel nor it is more convenientlly located as compared to other hotels. For a business traveller with office / customers / suppliers in the Tanjung Pagar Financial District, this is a convenient location but for a tourist this might not make sense. There are many other hotels in more convenient locations.

However having said that,good tourist/business hotels (3 or 4 star) in Singapore tend to be very pricey and below expectations especially when compared to its other South East Asian neighbours.

The good thing about this hotel is that when compared to similarly-priced hotels in more commercially and touristically convenient locations, M Hotel fares well. While it loses out on location and convenience, M Hotel stands out in terms of facilities, modern decor and newer fittings. The rooms are spacious by Singaporean standards. I was pleasantly surpised by its 24 hours gym. The gym is small but of acceptable quality.

The check-in service was quick and effcient though I would use the word "friendly" to describe my experience. It was professional and efficient.

For me the worst aspect of the hotel was its restaurant. Due to time factor, a colleague and I had to take our lunch at the hotel's cafe. Both of us had stomach discomfort after that even though we had different food. This points problem in food handling.

In the morning, after 7am,often one needs to line up to take the buffer breakfast as it can get quite crowded during working days.

My suggestion to hotel guests is to avoid eating in the hotel, not just for the quality issue but the price is steep too. In fact this area has tons of good and cheap eatery within walking distance. For Western visitors who prefer western food, there is a McD right next to the hotel.

In summary, if you have a budget of SGD 200 to 300 /night, then do consider this hotel even though the location is not ideal. It has spacious rooms, modern decor and new fitttings. However skip the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear R_Sudhagar,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We are glad you liked our spacious room, amenities and well-equipped gym. It is heartening to know that you fared us well in terms of value.

It is unfortunate that you experienced a stomach discomfort after dining at our café. Please rest assure that our food quality and handling procedures is never compromised as we follow stringent food hygiene practices in accordance with the Health Sciences Authority guideline.

We trust your stay had been eventful nonetheless and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights only in late September. We booked this on a friend's recommendation despite the fact that we were able to get cheaper deals at alternative places.

The hotel is about 300m away from the station, and is generally quite conveniently located, however there is not much else around as it is a business district and so on sunday everything seemed closed and deserted.

The hotel is a business hotel, and not much more.

The postives were that there was complimentary water, the room was clean and the hotel was close to where we needed to be ( for a wedding shuttle pick up), however....

On check-in, "Andy" the staff member who checked us in was brisk and unfriendly. We had booked the "Sentosa getaway" package which included breakfast and he tried to tell us otherwise.. it would be good if the staff were aware of what their own packages included... Internet access is also not free, which I can accept in your own room maybe not ( although at the price we paid compared... it seemed ridiculous as most other hotels would include this), there was not even access in the lobby...

The room itself though was large, was very basic and nothing reflecting the price which we paid.
The bed did not even have a headboard, and only two pillows ( though I can forgive the lack of cushions and trimmings on the bed).

The bathroom was okay, however the bath itself was quite small and would be a tight squeeze for any larger than petite. The shower was designed poorly as there was a gap between the flooring and the shower door it meant that water constantly flooded the bathroom floor.

At breakfast, the food range is quite basic and one day they served onion rings and chicken nuggets...! This appears to be left overs from last nights dinner or something!
One day we arrived for breakfast at 10am, breakfast is noted until 10.30am.. however the whole time we were there it felt like we were being rushed off our feet. I thought breakfast until 10.30am meant that you are able to arrive for breakfast at 10.30am latest...as this is the case with anywhere else I have stayed I have never felt like I am being rushed to woof down my food!

The staff began to tidy away things and reset tables whilst there were still guests eating breakfast.. it all seemed a little out of order, and made me feel quite uncomfortable.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel, you will get far more service and quality for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MHotelSing, Hotel Management at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Vickaly,

We regret that some of your experiences during your recent stay were less than ideal. In our commitment to ensure a consistently high standard of hospitality, we have taken note of your concerns and endeavour to make necessary improvements where appropriate.

In particular we would like to address your concern with the choice of onion rings and chicken nuggets being served during breakfast. Please rest assure that we will not serve any leftover food as we strictly adhere to rigorous food hygiene regulations, conforming to the Health Sciences Authority guidelines. We regret that the choices of food items led to such conclusion and we will review our breakfast menu in accordance.

In addition, we would like to add that the buffet breakfast timing from 6.30am to 10.30am refers to the start and end time of the buffet. Our efficient staff will endeavour to clear tables as soon as diners start to leave so as to maintain the overall hygiene level and aesthetics sense of the Café. We regret that this caused you some frustration into thinking that you were being rushed into finishing your food.

We hope your stay had been fruitful nonetheless and we wish for every opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Been to M Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!