“Very Helpful Staff and Great Breakfast Buffet” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Book & Save 25% with us!
Ranked #99 of 305 Hotels in Singapore
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
“Very Helpful Staff and Great Breakfast Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip at the end of February and I found it to be a very pleasant stay. The room was spacious and comfortable with a nice view of the city. I chose it because it was walking distance to our local office and I didn't want to pay a cab for every day. Others have said that there wasn't great TV reception. I found it to be very good actually with a nice variety of channels to watch, although I guess that depends on what you enjoy watching. I like the History Channel and the Discovery Channel, NatGeo etc. There was plenty of selection for me.

I liked the breakfast. I thought it had a diverse menu of things Eastern and Western. The scrambled eggs are more runny than we like them in the West but they certainly weren't bad. If you wanted something light, they had fruit and cereal. There was an omelet station, crispy noodles, all sorts of local specialties, a coffee bar, assorted meats (bacon, sausage etc). They had pancakes and/or French toast depending on the day. I enjoyed it. I also had the time to relax because I was there over the weekend.

The concierge staff was very friendly and gave good advice as far as where to go shopping, how to get there and what to see and do. I managed to get the postcards and souvenirs I needed for friends and family and also went out to China town to see the Buddhist and Hindu temples. Really cool.

I would stay here again if I had to go back for another business trip.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
MHotelSing, General Manager at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear AdrienneGlobeTrotter

Thank you for your great review.
I am extremely pleased that we were able to live up to your expectations in terms of our service and product. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Would stay again, only fault is paid-for internet. Particularly good points are the evening buffet and upstairs bar, J Bar.

Room Tip: Bit noisy at the back due to port noise.
1 Thank Marc T
Dear Marc T

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our buffet and bar set-ups, and our staff will be pleased to hear that their service has received commendation as well. Thank you for your review and we look forward to being of service to you on your next trip to Singapore.
Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed whilst on business back in May 2011. The hotel is in the business district and a bit away from the city centre. By all respects it is a lovely place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear WillieEggery

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I trust that you had a pleasant experience with us overall and I do hope that you will give us the chance in future to restore your faith in our service standards.
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Small LCD TV, cable reception is poor.
Breakfast is average, nothing compared to other equiv. priced hotels.

For over SGD300 a night you could do much better than this.
I made an arrangement for a non-smoking double bed room, and on arrival (at 5.30 PM, not even late!) I was advised only twin beds are available or otherwise I have to settle for a smoking room!

The location is a bit far away from all the shopping destinations. All in all this is not a place you'd want to come for a holiday, and even for business travellers there are better options in my opinion.

• 1 of 5 stars
Dear plu81

I am sorry that your experience was less than ideal. Regarding your comment on our television sets, I would like to share that we are currently in the midst of upgrading them from 32” to 40” screens and we will be checking on the reception with our service provider. We will also be looking into our breakfast spread to see how we might improve upon it. We apologize that due to an unforeseen surge in occupancy, we were unable to provide you with your desired bed configuration and to address your concern of our location, I would like to share that our hotel is just a 5-7 min cab ride away from VivoCity, one of the largest shopping malls in Singapore, and just 5min from the Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Thank you.
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

I was on an extended business assigned and stayed at the M Hotel for a number of weeks. The rooms are clean and nice for a short business trip. I wouldn't really recommend it if you're on a holiday or needed to stay for longer than a week. Location isn't the best, not really that close to any MRT stations. The nearest shopping centre is Vivo City, but it's a 5-10 min taxi ride away. Also, because it's located inside the CBD, the surrounds becomes really quiet after business hours so you won't really stay here if you are wanting a vast variety of food choices.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
MHotelSing, General Manager at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear ielchan

I am glad that you liked our rooms and trust that you had a pleasant business trip overall. Regarding public transportation, I would like to share that Tanjong Pagar MRT is less than a 5min walk from the hotel and you will would be able to find a variety of dining and bar options along Duxton Hill which is a 10min walk from us. Else, you may choose to venture a little further and experience the hawker fare and vibrancy of Chinatown.

Thank you for staying at M Hotel Singapore and I hope that you may give us the chance to be of service to you again on your future trips to Singapore.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Their website and promtional blurb suggests this hotel is more modern and fun that my experience. Not tha it was a bad experience, just very average. I booked as was offered a good rate, but I don't think it would be worth full rate.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
MHotelSing, General Manager at M Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear HollyB_oz

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is through such feedback that we hope to improve our product and services in order to serve you better.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope to surpass your expectations of us on your next visit to Singapore.

Yours sincerely
Benedict Ng
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

The only reason I chose to stay in this hotel was because I was on a business trip and it pops up as the one that's closest to my office on Robinson Road and is apparently 'well negotiated' on the rates. I actually tried to change my decision and book a Sheraton (which is further away) but I couldn't, because I was staying for three nights and the hotel charges cancellation on all three nights (unlike a lot of hotels that charge for cancellation only if you notify them less than 24 hours in advance).

I was also planning on getting my wife along for the trip. I send multiple emails and reminders to the hotel and got a response only after about five days. I am not very happy about that. The response came about four days too late.

I had requested for an early check-in but when I arrived at the hotel at about 5.30 AM; they refused to accommodate it on the grounds that I'd have to pay. Fair enough, check-in is at 12 and 5.30 was very early indeed - so I agreed, and was put up at a suite (luckily, I wasn't charged at 'suite' rates). I moved to a regular room the next day.

The rooms are just okay; you can't complain really but they're nothing to write home about. I guess some of the rooms have a better view, mine didn't. I guess I had higher expectations, considering the price.

On Day 1, I tried the breakfast at the M Lounge on the top floor - very avoidable. The choice is really poor and I had better luck with breakfast in the restaurant on the ground floor on Days 2 and 3.

The location of the hotel is great - it's just a 10 minute walk from Raffles Place, so it's kinda in the centre of the city and the action. Being Singapore, everything is reachable within 15 - 20 mins by cab, so that was never a worry. There are a couple of 7-11s and a McD close by if you need. The Tanjong Pagar metro (EW15) is hardly five minutes away.

All this is the good stuff. So why am I giving this an 'Average' rating?

Well, for one - for the kind of money you pay for the hotel, you just do NOT get bang for your buck. The staff is efficient, yes, but their attitude borders on being bored of you. There is not a single smile or a word of warmth and saying 'Thank You' to them doesn't even elicit a courteous 'You're Welcome' from them. They're multi-cultural, but uniformly (pun intended) in the same bracket in terms of attentiveness.

The rooms, like I said, were just about okay. The suite is definitely usefully huge, but the overall finish just makes it look really old. I guess, the hotel IS old and could do with a makeover (just hope they don't double the rates after that!). The deluxe room is much smaller and featured an unkempt carpet with more than a few burn-holes. I guess these are small things which could be corrected. I am not a fan of 'light colored wooden paneling' and the rooms have exactly that - so I could be a tad biased.

Overall, I think it's the location. The rest is just average - I wouldn't recommend you stay here unless you have to. Next time, I'm going to the Sheraton.

Dear IceMenon

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am truly sorry about the lapse in service you experienced when trying to amend your reservation. I assure you that this is not the level of service you should expect from our establishment. I will be addressing this issue with my staff and monitoring their service attitude as well as our food quality and variety.

We regret that your experience was not ideal and hope that you will give us a chance to serve you better in future.

Yours sincerely