“Great service, room OK” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel

You added Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   392 Havelock Road, Singapore 169663, Singapore (The Quays)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 30% + Free WiFi
Ranked #95 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Barcelona, Spain
“Great service, room OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My room was at the executive floor. It was very clean, but the room was nothing special if we take into account such executive option.

But the service provided was great: everybody was eager to assist and facilitate your stay. There is a very cute lounge where a superb breakfast is served, and there are drinks and well cooked thinks to eat for free during some prriods of the day.

Its location by the river is nice and pleasant.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GrandCopthorneSing, Hotel Management at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Semprendavant,

Thank you for your good review. We are heartened to hear that you found the service at the Executive floor and the benefits of the Club Lounge to have exceeded your expectations. Our staff would be delighted to hear of your compliments.

Indeed, our riverside location is pleasant as it combines the tranquility and vibrancy of the waterfront precinct effortlessly and is within close proximity to town area.

We look forward to welcoming you back and experiencing the Grand Copthorne Waterfront hospitality again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Checked in without a problem. Hotel was excellent but when we got to our (non smoking) room the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. I complained to the desk, but they were unable/unwilling to move us to another room. Offered to send up an ionizer but when this don't appear, had to repeat the exercise with the same result. At least this time the ionizer appeared but it was very noisy during the night and it was at least 24 hours before the smell became bearable.
Otherwise the hotel was excellent, room very clean, loved the location, complimentary shuttle service and great breakfast selection. Free wifi was an unexpected bonus. Would definitely retun.

Dear Phil69,

We regret there was a cigarette stench in your room however due to a full house situation, we were unable to change your room. We hope the arrangement of the ionizer was satisfactory.

Nevertheless, it is heartening to hear that you enjoyed an otherwise excellent stay experience, particularly the room, location, breakfast spread and shuttle bus service met with your expectations.

We cannot wait to welcome you back and being of service to you again.
Delhi, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Good property, but service needs a hell lot of improvement. Understanding of english language remains a question. Sense of hospitality needs a brush up! Staffs are unaware of the flow of communication with guests. Maybe our expectations were high, after staying in so many hotels, but then this is not a small property with small charges. A bit dissappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alexander G,

Thank you for your feedback, we will look into your area of concerns and implement counter measures to rectify the situation accordingly. We hope to welcome you back and experience the improvements made.
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We searched a lot online before booking this hotel for a vacation in Singapore, and were happy for the decision we made.
Pros: Location is the biggest +ve for the hotel. Very near to Clarks Quay, Orchard Road.
Good rooms, very neat and clean. Food is also good. Also its next to the Zouk club, one of the best clubs in Singapore.
Cons: None

Will recommend this hotel for its location and complete value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at higher floors give a great view of the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Destin, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Where oh where do I start? My husband arrived at the hotel the evening before me. We had made a reservation for a King Riverview Room. Our rate was to include breakfast for 2 each day and cocktails, snacks on the 29th floor each evening. Upon arrival, my husband was told that there were no king rooms available (this is at 10 pm) but offered him a twin room. He said that was unacceptable and magically a king room appeared. I arrived the following morning around 6:30 am after the 18 hour 40 minute flight from New York to Singapore on Singapore Airlines. Needless to say, I was ready for a nice bed and a few days of uninterrupted rest in order to get over the jet lag. I knew I was in trouble when I sat down on the bed. Never in my life have I been on a bed that hard. It was not a firm mattress, just hard. The floor would have been softer, no kidding. The room itself was old, shabby, badly in need of an update and only moderately clean. It was small and the pillows were like bricks. I couldn't believe it. I wondered how anyone could ever sleep on a bed like that. The bathroom was also very small with hardly any room to put ones toiletries. The hair dryer in the bathroom must have been something like 600 watts and you had to press the on button the entire time while drying your hair. The shower was also very disturbing. It was in the bathtub which was raised high off the floor so you had to step very high up to get in the tub. The shower curtain was cheap, old and stained and was too long, so it was dragging in the tub while you showered. The water coming out of the shower was so scant and no water pressure, you had to run around in the shower to get wet. We were supposed to be there a week, but after 3 days of misery I just lost it and decided to either check out or see if they had a better room. We had to pack up and move to another room. The next room was better, the bed was a firm mattress, but soooo much better than the other one. There was no tub in the bath, only a shower and the water came out as it should do. The hairdryer didn't work at all so they brought me a new one (after standing around for 45 minutes with wet hair), but there was no place to plug it in the bathroom, so I had to plug it in by the desk in the bedroom. The lighting was terrible in that area, so I couldn't see and the hairdryer again was really cheap and didn't dry hair very well and you had to keep holding the on button down to keep it going. But, all in all, that was a small thing compared to what happened next. In the middle of the night I got up to use the bathroom and I kept hearing a dripping noise and the bathroom floor was all wet. Come to find out, the ceiling was leaking at the entrance to the bathroom so I put a towel down below to catch the drip. The towel was turning brown, so I don't know what kind of water was coming down, either it was clean or somebody else's sewage. DISGUSTING!!! When we got up the next morning, we had to pack up and move to a different room again!!!! The next room had a river view and was quite large, had a bath tub and a shower. This was the room they should have given us in the first place. I went down to look at the room before we packed up and discovered that the bed linens were dirty and had someone else's hair on them. I called down and asked to have the linens changed. The remote control for the tv would not work from the bed, you had to stand in front of the tv to make that work. Finally, got a decent hair dryer, but the shower leaked all over the floor because there was no seal on the door, poor design. The phone in the room would not allow us to make outgoing calls, so we had to get that fixed. With regard to the breakfast, there was a lot of different food, but it was mediocre at best, the scrambled eggs were runny and there was always a problem with the toaster. They did not do a good job of replenishing anything on the buffet. I'm glad we didn't have to pay additional for breakfast, if you had to, it would have been $30 each. I would not recommend to anyone that they stay in this hotel based on our experience. I don't think Trip Advisor would publish my review if I called it what it is. I had to give it one star because Trip Advisor doesn't allow you to give anything no stars. The only thing this hotel had going for it is the location right at Robertson Quay and easy walking distance to Clarke Quay etc. However, for business travelers, the location is not good because its not located near any MRT and taxis are sometimes hard to get in front of the hotel. The internet service was included in our room charge, but it was barely usable. I couldn't use any apps on my iPhone because the internet was either out, or really really slow. You could only run 3 concurrent devices on the provided wireless internet. The carpet on the main floor in front of the elevators was heavily soiled. The charge for a one week stay at this dump came through on my Amex card, $1,945.00 US dollars. I wish I had that money back!!! For anyone thinking about a stay at this hotel, my advice would be don't even think about it. Run for your life!!!!!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront in Singapore for two nights and weren't particularly impressed. The hotel doesn't particularly stand out in any way and, in my opinion, should be a notch lower than five stars.

What we liked:
- The location. Robertson Quay was just a few minutes walk and Clarke Quay was about 20 minutes away. Since we preferred to walk, we were able to walk to the museums and even downtown
- The view. Our room had a view of the river, which was nice

What could be improved:
- Personalized service. The hotel's staff appear to lack that zing which makes hotels memorable. Checking boxes is fine but guests return when service is personalized. The only exception to the rule was one of the concierge staff (unfortunately, I don't have his name) who helped us find our way and then remembered us the next day
- Breakfast. Our last hotel was an un-starred little hotel in Hanoi with six tables in its dining area. Yet we never had to queue and always enjoyed our breakfast. At Grand Copthorne we had to queue to enter the restaurant and I waited 20 minutes to get my omelet. Breakfast itself was average and there simply weren't enough healthy options. The restaurant staff were indifferent and the coffee machines ran out at some point, coffee cups were chipped and even the salt shaker was blocked up

Grand Copthorne would do well to perk up its service. With its location it has plenty of potential but even the best location in the world cannot make up for average service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GrandCopthorneSing, Hotel Management at Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear travelgoan,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review. We have taken note of your feedback and will seek improvements where necessary. We trust your stay was fruitful nonetheless and we hope to welcome you back again.
Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in Jan/Feb 2013. It is a good 4 star hotel in a reasonable location. A 10 minute taxi to the city and a 30 minute stroll along the riverside to Clarke Quay. We had a standard room which was an average size but well appointed. Although the bathroom required some modernisation, but was very clean. Staff were very pleasant and helpful, especially the concierge and reception. Buffet breakfast with very good choice of European and Asian cuisine. freshly cooked omelette was a bonus as it was excellent. Late supper in hotel restaurant was good but expensive. many bars and restaurants nearby but quite pricey especially for alcoholic drinks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael C,

Thank you for your good review. It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed a wonderful stay experience with us and found the room, service standard and breakfast spread to have exceeded your expectations. We love to welcome you back for another memorable stay experience at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront.

Been to Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel? Share your experiences!