“One off the bucket list!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer at Raffles-25% off
Ranked #3 of 301 Hotels in Singapore
South Yorkshire
“One off the bucket list!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We always promised ourselves we would go when my husband retired, he lived there as a boy, his Father was in the RAF and years before a Japanese prisoner of war at Changi. The hotel was a little haven of colonial history, a great experience and very special as we celebrated 40 years together. The hotel was spotless and any problems encounterd dealt with quickly and professionally. The long bar is a must if you don't want a Singpore Sling there are many more options and the tradition of throwing peanut shells on the floor a first! All in all it was a holiday of a life time and on off the buckt list.

Room Tip: Pick a room with outside plants/foliage to make it more private. There is a side that tourist can se...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear McIckle,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for choosing Raffles Singapore to celebrate your 40th year anniversary. I am so pleased that the hotel lived up to both your expectations, especially as your husband lived in Singapore as a child. We like to feel that Raffles is a timeless oasis, building on the best qualities of our past, whilst evolving and staying relevant to the present day.

I do hope we see you back in Singapore again soon.

Raffles Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My missus and I were planning a staycation over the weekend. Never fans of corporate business hotels, we initially discussed about booking a room in a boutique hotel. After scouring through reviews and recommendations online, we stumbled across the Raffles hotel. Suddenly the answer of choice became clear to us. The Raffles was renowned for its old world charm- modelled after its English colonial theme. It was something different indeed. Being fabled through the myths and legends online and being highly rated on tripadvisor, will the Raffles hotel truly live up to its reputation or was it simply overrated? There was only one way to find out. My missus and I managed to secure a Courtyard Suite for a 2 day and 1night stay , scheduled for check-in the following day. On the 7 September 2013, we arrived at the Raffles hotel nearly approaching 1400hrs. Upon reaching the main entrance, we were greeted by the doorman. He did not seem too friendly a character, just like how he was potrayed in other recent reviews (I am assuming he is the same guy mentioned). However he has a dignified presence and looks good in the palace guard-like uniform. Upon stepping into the main lobby, we proceeded to the reception for check-in. The reception counter is remiscient of one you might imagine in older times, but the deliberate design certainly looked appropriate in such setting. Facing the opposite of the reception counter was the concierge desk. The receptionist who checked in was warm and friendly, whom after a prompt check-in; introduced us to our service butler, Francis. Francis led us to take the elavator up to our suite on the 2nd floor. The elavators were old , but the interior was elegant in a rustic way. When we arrived at our suite , Francis explained the in-room amenities and hotel facilities to us. He was patient in answering our questions and attentive towards our needs. We had wanted two additional hard pillows and he explained the types of choices available on their pillow menu. After the introduction he asked if we would like to have our welcome drink, which was the renowned Singapore Sling - which originated from the Raffles Hotel. We said yes, and he excused himself to bring the drinks. Meantime we explored our suite, which was divided by the living room , the bedroom area, and the toilet area. The living room was not big, however certainly cosy; with a home-like feel to it. On the dining table there was a fruit platter with cutlery and pretty flower vase. There was also a welcome letter from the hotel. We were amused by the old school television set , the type u get from the 70-80's era (not sure the timeline though)..the one that comes with a cupboard / door-like console. There was a yellow two seater cushion sofa near the windows, adjacent to the television. On the ceiling above the sofa area was a ceiling fan. There were two long lampshades at each corner of the living room. We did not really look through the minibar as we do not use them normally. The living room and bed room was seperated by a curtain. The flooring of the room was fitted by timber wood and it did have a nice feel to it when you walk around barefooted, especially when u step onto the carpet rugs. The main highlight of the bedroom would naturally be the bed. The mammoth boasted a specially woodcarved beframe, with long wooden pole-like structures at both corners. Reminds me of what you would either see in a luxurious resort, or in a colonial setting residence. Beside the both sides of the bed are accompanied by wooden tables. Atop the two wooden tables lie chinese-porcelain-styled mini lampshades. There is a green cushion sofa near the left area of the bed, complete with leg rest. Opposite the bed is another television set, beside is the closet with a safe inside. at the far right of the set is a vanity mirror. The parlour and toilet / bathroom is seperated by a door. Well equipped with toilet / shower amenities, the parlour is spacious; the same speaks for the the bathroom. In the bathroom there is a bathtub and a standing shower. Beneath the bathtub at the corner lies an elephant statue with a potted plant resting above it. In the middle of our delightful exploration, the doorbell rang. Francis had returned with two Singapore Slings and explained that he was able to get a foam pillow and a contoured one. We understood that the pillows were subjected to avability and we thanked him for his efforts. After he left our suite, we unpacked and decided to lounge at the courtyard area, which had table and chairs just outside our doorstep. From where we were seated, we could see the pavilion from a distance, though a good of it was blocked by dense greenery. Not that big of an issue, though we would love an unblocked view. The Singapore Sling was the best we had trief by far; after all it was here that it was created.We later proceeded to the third floor to check out the pool area. As the hotel is only 3 storeys high, you are above to see the Carlton Hotel from opposite the pool bar counter. The pool was smaller than what we expected, hhowever.There was a smaller pool at the far end.Could not ascertain if it was a jacuzzi pool as we did not walk towards the end. Next we checked out the sauna and the bath area which in my opinion , was world class. It was spacious and generously equipped with pool towels and the necessary amenities. Only gripe was there did not seem to be any keys to the locker cabinets. There was also a gym outside the male changing room and an in-house spa. Soon it was time for dinner. We headed to the Bar & Billiards for our dinner. An aptly furnished outlet, we were greeted by the hostess who led us to our table. Service staff were attentive and responsive. European buffet dinner was sumptous, with a generous fare dished out over the buffet lines. We were offered wine which was inclusive of the dinner. Overall a great dining experience. After the dinner, we walked around the hotel, Louis Vuitton and Tiffany & co were some of the luxury brands retailing in the arcade. We also walked past the famous Long Bar, before lounging at the main lobby. On the lobby floor there is the Writer's Bar and the Tiffin Room (serves curry buffet). On every level of the hotel, there is a reading / sitting area ; nicely furnished with cushion sofas and wooden chairs. Once again , the layout is flavoured with an old but elegant charm to it. Before retiring for the day, we took a dip in the icy waters of the hotel pool. Upon returning to our room, the housekeeping had already done the night turn down service. I then wanted to boil some water but could not find any airpot kettle in the room. I rang up the butler and he arrived shortly with the kettle. Francis had already knocked off and this was another guy, but he was polite too. (I could not remember his name). Another thing, there did not seem to be any coffee or tea packets in the room but it was not an issue as neither my missus nor myself needed those. After a hot shower in the elaborately designed tub, we watched some tv before sleeping. The next morning, we had our continental breakfast at the Tiffin Room. Variety of food on the buffet lines seemed limited so we only grabbed stuff such as blue cheese, parma ham and some cereal before ordering waffle, bacon and eggs on the ala carte. We then spent the rest of the day shopping in town before heading back to the hotel around 1430hrs and lounging in our suite till check out time at 1800hrs. Our overall verdict of our staycation at the Raffles Hotel is truly a pleasant one, although there were some minor shortcomings, the service rendered by the hotel staff were truly a class act; they were professional, knowledgeable and accommodating - most importantly they made us feel "at home away from home". Far from just being a glorified restored hotel, the Raffles offers a tranquiled stay in an old-world-charmed way that my missus and I will like to return to someday.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear ancientwarhorse,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post your very detailed review of Raffles Singapore, following your staycation with us.

I am glad you concluded that “Old School can be Cool” and, most importantly, that the service that you experienced from the team was “a class act” and that they made you feel at home. This is high praise indeed and your kind words will be passed to those concerned.

I do hope we see you back here soon for more moments of old-world charm and tranquillity.

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife, daughter and I had a brilliant two night stay. We had connecting suites and my wife and I were in the Charlie Chaplain suite which added to the ambience. Loads of room, fresh fruit daily, beautiful old architecture and fittings and a personal butler.

The service levels are exceptional, staff were attentive, friendly and helpful and magically seemed to know our names wherever we went. Food and beverage were superb, fresh and an excellent selection. We ate dinner in the Long Bar Restaurant where we ate some of the most delicious and well presented steak we have ad the pleasure of eating. Staff were consistently attentive without intruding wherever we went in the hotel.

My wife and I will definitely return for a longer stay. I'm sure there re newer hotels with equally good service but I to think hey can better the atmosphere and relaxed charm of Raffles.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mark Milbourn,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you so much for your delightful review of Raffles Singapore, following your recent stay with your wife and daughter.

I am so glad that you appreciated our special architecture and the ambiance and atmosphere that these 125 year old surroundings create. I am also glad that you found the service levels to be exceptional with attentive, friendly and helpful staff, and that you enjoyed the food you ordered. Our aim is to create a peaceful oasis, which continues to adapt and change - whilst remaining timeless.

I do hope that you and your family will indeed return for a longer stay in the near future.

Newcastle-on Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Lived up to expectations in every respect. We stayed in "standard" room but was size of a small suite. Lounge/dining area with fruit and drinks provided, huge bedroom with more than enough storage. Dressing room and bathroom also larger than normal. We completed our Holiday there after travelling to Singapore on the Orient Express and found the space a dream after spending a few nights in a cabin( albeit a luxurious one!) Singapore Slings were mandatory of course, however we found the ones served in the public areas were pre-made with a couple of ingredients added fresh, but the Hotel poolside bar made them from scratch and did taste better still. Staff and food excellent, pleasantly surprised at location too, easy walk to sight-see etc. Our trip was a special Wedding Anniversary and would love to return next time a "big one" comes around.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CEC11_11,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for your delightful review of Raffles Singapore following your stay in March for your wedding anniversary.

It was very good to hear that the hotel lived up to your expectations, and that the staff and food were “excellent”. Our team prides themselves on welcoming all of our guests with open arms -and we all hope that you will return to Raffles before too long so that we can take care of you once again.

Aptos, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We originally had booked a stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore, but I had read a few comments which made me question whether I wanted to stay there. I saw that the Raffles hotel was rated very highly on tripadvisor and they had a promotion at the time we booked our stay so we switched out hotels.

There were certainly high points to our stay:
1) The staff, The staff are all very welcoming, accommodating and helpful.
2) The history The property takes you back to another time. You walk around the hotel and view the hallways, arches and lawns and its beautiful.
3) The breakfast- was very good. There was a feeling of personalized service for a buffet.

There are some areas I think you should be aware of:
1) The rooms- are historic. If you are expecting state of the art anything then you are in for a surprise. We learned that since the site is considered a historical site the hotel is very limited in what they can actually change. But I found for me personally that the interior was just too historical. The bed was very uncomfortable. My boyfriend tried to sit on one of the side chairs and sunk into the cushion deeply- it was so worn.

2) The laundry costs. I sent a large amount of items to be laundered, I was shocked at the laundry cost. It is my fault that I did not examine the costs further before I sent the items to be cleaned but I received what I consider the mother of all laundry bills. It was more expensive to get my items laundered at this hotel then in the Maldives where we proceeded after our stop in Singapore.

Our stay at Raffles had some positives, but I would not plan on staying here again until they at least upgraded the mattresses and made some other upgrades to the rooms. I was surprised to find this rated so highly on tripadvisor. We ended up staying t the Mandarin Oriental on the way back through Singapore and the difference between the 2 hotels is quite striking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JSMana,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for your review and we are glad to hear that our staff, the breakfast and the history of the hotel were the high points of your stay. Naturally we are very disappointed to learn that your experience with the bed and laundry was less than expected. We regret that we were not made aware of this and did not offer a solution to your discomfort with our furniture, and for that we sincerely apologise.

With regard to your comment about the laundry costs, we do frequent checks and offer a service that is better in quality and comparable in price with any of the major hotels in the city.

Thank you however for your feedback which we do take on board and we hope that the legendary service and quality were at least exceptional and to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Raffles Singapore again in the future.

Batu Ferringhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had always wanted to visit Raffles Hotel in Singapore. I finally did and it was even better than expected. Old world charm and elegance meets the 21st Century. It is not for the budget back packers. You need cash as everything is pricy. But it is worth it. My wife and I stayed for my 50th birthday, her treat. From our arrival and greeting to our departure after 2 nights stay, everyone was exceptionally friendly, polite and the service was tremendous. The check in was conducted whilst sitting in very comfortable chairs sipping Singapore Slings and not leaning on a counter. Our room/suite was old world elegance with all the mod cons. Great shower/bathroom, huge bed, with our lounge area complete with coffee machine and daily fruit basket.
I don't think I will be waiting 50 more years before we return. I know someone coming up for a similar milestone, I think I'll book and surprise her.

Room Tip: Spend the cash, the rooms are worth the extra money
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GraemeB59,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for choosing Raffles Singapore to celebrate your birthday – and for posting such a wonderful review following your stay.

We were especially glad to hear that you found the team to be exceptionally friendly, polite and that the service was tremendous. Every single member of staff at Raffles really prides themselves on making sure that each and every guest feels welcome, at home and relaxed, from the moment they arrive.

We look forward to welcoming you and Mrs GraemeB59 back, either for a surprise birthday or sooner.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Raffles Hotel Singapore is a pricey and famous hotel. Most travellers wouldn't book Raffles on a whim instead people usually book a room at Raffles to experience the history and glamour of the hotel that they have heard about for years and have decided to tick it off their bucket list.

The price and other info on the web will inform any traveller that this is an exclusive & quite hotel, meant for Honeymooners, Retirees, the Rich and Famous and not backpackers etc.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for at Raffles. The staff are excellent, and the hotel is excellent and the location is great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends